This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people waste SO MUCH time trying to get legit shinies?

#51ClassyOldHatPosted 7/18/2013 4:17:06 PM
NewbieN00b posted...
I think you took my lottery comparison way to literally. Waaaay too literally.
My point was people wouldn't do something unless there was a perceived prize(even if the 'prize' is simply the enjoyment of the activity)

I agree with you, but the ethics of RNG wasn't what I was trying to convey... if there were no prize people wouldn't do it. I agree on your hatred of RNG but, eh. That's all I was trying to say.

Oh. Sorry about that. I'm so used to hearing some of the more outlandish defenses of RNG based IVs that I seriously thought you were attempting to defend it by comparing it to the lottery. Again, apologies.
#52NewbieN00bPosted 7/18/2013 4:19:03 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
NewbieN00b posted...
I think you took my lottery comparison way to literally. Waaaay too literally.
My point was people wouldn't do something unless there was a perceived prize(even if the 'prize' is simply the enjoyment of the activity)

I agree with you, but the ethics of RNG wasn't what I was trying to convey... if there were no prize people wouldn't do it. I agree on your hatred of RNG but, eh. That's all I was trying to say.

Oh. Sorry about that. I'm so used to hearing some of the more outlandish defenses of RNG based IVs that I seriously thought you were attempting to defend it by comparing it to the lottery. Again, apologies.

It's fine, this is gamefaqs, after all XD
---
Give me all teh FE D':
White FC: 4428-2451-8791
#53Arne83Posted 7/18/2013 4:43:24 PM
It's the satisfaction of being able to get something that is so damn rare. Their rarity is really the only thing that makes them valuable.

You can't get that with hacking, because you know you're going to get a shiny... it's a guarantee... it destroys the value of it.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#54DrakoVongola1Posted 7/18/2013 4:45:33 PM(edited)
Kurumiee posted...
There's such a thing as an action replay. I'm not here to tell them what they should and should not do, like a parent would, but it's not healthy to stare at a screen all day to find a Pokemon that is of a different colour than what it''s supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong, I love to have a team of shiny pokemons, but I don't mind getting them hacked. Of course, the feeling of having a legit one, might be more special, but do you really want to spend a week doing the same thing over and over again? As if hacked shinies are in any way different than legit ones, besides that of course.

What's the point of even playing the game if you're gonna cheat to get stuff?

Why bother getting a team of shinies that you didn't earn? The whole point is the rarity of them, it's certainly not because they look so much better >_>
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#55wurmtokenPosted 7/18/2013 4:54:22 PM
For me the satisfaction is in the envy of others. Legit shinies are super rare and hard to get so of course people who care about pokemon tend to feel jealous, even if just a little. Hacked shinies are not rare and so they can't invoke the jealousy feeling.

Example: You and your friend get Firered and Leafgreen after you convinced him pokemon is a fun game series. He picks Charmander for his first pokemon and guess what, it's a shiny. Which means the first pokemon he EVER GETS is the Dark Charizard while you have never even seen a shiny in 5+ years of play. Would you not be jealous? Really?
Really?

A hacked pokemon just can't invoke that delicious jelly.
#56PkmTrainerAbramPosted 7/18/2013 4:59:55 PM
The current IV and shiny systems exist solely because GameFreak is too lazy to think of ways to introduce legitimate challenge and interest into these games. So they settle for manipulating players into playing the boring parts of their games for hours on end by making sure these things cannot be earned through skill, or effort, or even time spent.

I have to disagree with your point on two counts.

The PokeRadar for Chaining in D/P/Pl and the Shiny Charm in BW2 pretty much were ways for the player to deliberately up the chances of getting that Shiny Pokemon they wanted in far less time. I could argue the Matsuda Method as well but that's less so.

Also, your stance assumes that those people are not having fun doing it.

Like P2P, I found most of my shinies not even looking for shinies, but by EV training and hatching eggs normally. I got 3 shiny Onixes, 3 Zigzagoon, Wailord, Cacturne, Farfetch'd, Linoone, Mareep, 3 Falffies, 1 Mareep, 4 Shinx, 1 Luxray, 1 Shellos, 1 Ditto, 3 Whismurs, 2 Expounds, Crobat, Hariyama, Tentacool, Stoutland, caught 3 Pidgeys but traded them away, and a bunch more that I cought myself.

Yeah, RNG plays a role, but most of those Shinies were chained or hatched with MM in effect. I can only imagine how the Shiny Charm would boost the chances with MM in effect.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Plat/HG(492/492, 3/4 Star Trainer Card,), Street Fighter 3(Xbox online sparingly)
#57ClassyOldHatPosted 7/18/2013 11:11:54 PM
PkmTrainerAbram posted...
I have to disagree with your point on two counts.

The PokeRadar for Chaining in D/P/Pl and the Shiny Charm in BW2 pretty much were ways for the player to deliberately up the chances of getting that Shiny Pokemon they wanted in far less time. I could argue the Matsuda Method as well but that's less so.

I will admit, chaining is actually pretty fun on it's own. However, I ignored it because it was only ever seen in one set of games, and seems unlikely to appear again. So I'm pretty much only referring to the IV sytem, and the Shiny Charm and Masuda method, which pretty much boil down to "do the stuff you normally do to get shinies, only this time the chance is somewhat higher."

Also, your stance assumes that those people are not having fun doing it.

As I've mentioned before, my general barometer of "having fun doing it" is to ask "if there were no in-game reward for this task, would you still do it?" If the answer is "no," then chances are they aren't really having fun doing it.

In my time, I have never run into someone who would soft reset in front of a legendary for hours on end, or engage in a seemingly endless cycle of breeding if there weren't the chance to get good IVs and/or a shiny. Again, this is why the Shiny Charm and Masuda method do NOT truly make the player any more involved: You're basically doing the same easy-to-develop-boring-to-play breeding system, and your efforts are still not guaranteed to pay off. These do not introduce any test of player skill or knowledge to the process.

While I congratulate you on your many randomly acquired legit shinies, your anecdote only further proves my point: you put in little to no conscious effort, and have obtained dozens more shinies than many players who have spent hours "working" for them, because the RNG was nice to you.