This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you have a traditional team build when playing story mode?

#1deadpool848Posted 7/18/2013 12:23:14 PM
What I mean is, when you play a game, do you have somekind of mindset of what should be on your team. Usually for me I always try to have a Fire, Water, Electric, and Flying poke on my team, while the last 2 are usually filler depending on what i need by looking at the first four guys and there typings/movesets, but usually this is what I end up with:
Fire, Water, Electric, Flying, Dark, Steel
I always have a water type for Surf and always have a flying type for Fly.

How about you guys? Do you have it planned out when you start up a new generation of games? Or do you just go with the flow and dont let type barriers prevent you from using pokemon?
#2Lucis_FerrePosted 7/18/2013 12:27:08 PM
1 Fire, 1 Water, 1 Grass

Usually a Ground, Electric or Dragon Pokemon among the other 3 if they're not attached to one of the F/W/G
---
'Success rates are but scientific theory. A brave heart will defy any odds!'
'Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you won't get anything.'
#3-Chespear-Posted 7/18/2013 12:27:19 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4Firelion6593Posted 7/18/2013 12:28:15 PM
I try to have a Water type for Surfing and a Flying type for, well, Flying. Otherwise it's whatever I feel like, as long as I get decent Type coverage.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#5KitschgardenerPosted 7/18/2013 12:34:17 PM(edited)
Not really, at least nowadays - I'm confident enough I'll beat the game with whatever . I used to have a bizarre notion of a "balanced" team that involved the three starter types and three "tricky" types: Steel, Dragon and Ghost. Then Platinum came along, with its rather iffy type distribution, and put an end to that.

Only tradition I've kept is at least one Water-type, but I mightn't bother with that for Y (or X or whatever).
#6SgtCashmerePosted 7/18/2013 12:31:53 PM
I always form an Eeveelution team if possible: Umbreon, Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, and Espeon (so Dark, Fire, Electric, Water, and Psychic). As of Gen VI, I will add Sylveon (Fairy) to the roster.
#7ArabianPenguinsPosted 7/18/2013 12:35:20 PM
For me, I usually will look and compare the Pokemon in terms of stats, moves, and design before deciding, most of the time... (Made that mistake while using Serperior).

My party will typically have a fire type, water type, electric or grass type or both, sometimes a ground type, and a dragon type/pseudo legendary.

For the last spot or two, depending on how my party is set up, I will usually try to fill it with types that I haven't used.

But if the two Pokemon share a similar dual type, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Sometimes I have even used previous generation and post E4 Pokemon since the selection wasn't that great early on.
---
Cal State Northridge. Matador Pride
3DS Friend Code: 0619-3434-9146
#8Junta_JastPosted 7/18/2013 12:37:46 PM
I almost always get the Grass type starter and pick Pokemon I like from there, while trying to get a Pokemon for every matchup or situation.
---
Official DEM PANTS of the PS4 KH3 Board http://i.imgur.com/pFfdC.gif
Currently playing: Yearly playthrough of the Assassin's Creed games, Battlefield 3, P4A
#9sky54Posted 7/18/2013 12:40:06 PM
Starter, bug, bird, and then I just fill in the rest with other types I need like grass, ground, water, etc.
#10Elec Man EXEPosted 7/18/2013 12:43:53 PM
Other than usually trying to have a Pokémon with Surf, anything goes for me. Whichever pokemon strike my fancy, types not a factor other than the fact that I usually try to not repeat the same type on my team unless I really like both pokemon.
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White