This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you have a traditional team build when playing story mode?

#11rocknroller365Posted 7/18/2013 12:46:11 PM
No matter the game I always have this strange need to have a water type on my team. I don't have one yet in White 2 and it feels so weird. >.>

Grass is another must, and I basically always have the region-specific starter bird on my team. I'm also quite partial to steel types, so if there are any decent ones I go for those.
#12emeraldfox_09Posted 7/18/2013 12:46:33 PM
Starter
Pokemon
Pokemon
Pokemon
Pokemon that can surf
Pokemon that can fly

All day everyday.
---
The Official Leafeon everywhere. Get at me
Bianca <3. I like Shauntal too.
#13ZTIger5Posted 7/18/2013 12:53:00 PM
I always go for a balanced team that can take on any combination of enemy types. There have been times I was somewhat unbalanced for the sake of using Pokemon I desperately wanted to, and that hasn't always worked out very well.
---
Playing) Fire Emblem: Awakening, Guild Wars 2
Waiting) Pokemon XY
#14PChaosWMPosted 7/18/2013 1:08:02 PM(edited)
I guess it depends on what you consider a "traditional team" set-up. I always use my starter Pokemon (always either Fire or Water, never Grass), an Electric Pokemon if possible, a Pokemon who can learn Fly, a Pokemon who can learn Surf, and a Dragon of some kind. The last Pokemon depends on which Pokemon are available to me in-game; it just has to be not completely useless and have some type-coverage. Here is an example of the Pokemon I used in my play-through of the story-mode of Pokemon Black 2:

Samurott (Water Starter / Knows Surf)
Magnezone (Electric)
Drifblim (Knows Fly)
Haxorus (Dragon)
Krookodile (Type-Coverage)
Arcanine (Type-Coverage... and my favorite Pokemon)

All of those Pokemon were available to me throughout the game without having to trade and were able to get me through the Elite 4 and Champion. I used a similar set of Pokemon in my last Platinum run as well:

Infernape (Fire Starter)
Luxray (Electric)
Staraptor (Knows Fly)
Garchomp (Dragon)
Vaporeon (Knows Surf)
Roserade (Type-Coverage)

This "build" has always worked for me.
---
||==========(( PerfectChaosWM ))==========||
||==((Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0090-1828-2316))==||
#15P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 7/18/2013 1:04:04 PM
Water type
Flying type
And always keep the starter, unless doing a "favorites" run
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#16patkelly929Posted 7/18/2013 1:05:03 PM
I like to avoid Pokemon I've used before. I repeatedly go back through the story, as I usually get 2 versions of each game, so I can keep the ones that I care about, and try new ones every new game.
---
"Gary was here. Ash is a loser!" = Greatest Tramp Stamp Ever
#17kito-efilPosted 7/18/2013 1:08:36 PM
Yes i always have thus

fire
water
grass
Electric
dark
psychic.

The only exception was gen I when there was no dark.
And the setup pretty much stays into my competative team except Espeon may be getting replaced by Sylveon if it has good enough stats and can learn psychic via tm.
---
Stop teaching kids if you're happy and you know it! ...It hurts timmy the T-rex's feelings when he cant clap like the other kids...
#18X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/18/2013 1:10:49 PM
If I can, 6 ghosts.
IF not, Gengar, 4 others that can hold up until I can use my level 100s so they can obey me, and a 6th with fly and surf
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#19Sid_StarkillerPosted 7/18/2013 1:27:25 PM
Water starter
Bird
Fighting-type
Electric-type
Dark-type

#6 is more flexible, but I do try to work in Steel somewhere. And I don't repeat types, if I can help it.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292-6017-5477 (Sid)
Statement: Just a simple droid here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along.
#20MelkacPosted 7/18/2013 2:02:02 PM
I always need a water type, grass, and SOMETIMES fire type, the other three are...I dunno, any other pokémon I like (as long as they aren't water/grass/fire types)
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA