This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What if: The next generation changed how random encounters worked?

#1ClassyOldHatPosted 7/18/2013 3:13:24 PM
What if: The next generation changed how random encounters worked, to a system like the one used in Cthulhu Saves the World?

For those who haven't played it, in CStW, each dungeon has a set number of encounters, which can be triggered both by walking through the dungeon and getting into fights randomly, and through a "force encounter" option in the pause menu.

After the number of "Set encounters" has been reduced to zero, you will no longer enter battles at random by walking through the dungeon, but you will still be able to use the "force encounter" option if you enjoy fighting the area's enemies, or simply wish to do some level grinding.

How would you react to such a system being implemented in Pokemon?
#2Doctor_SpankyPosted 7/18/2013 3:17:49 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
What if: The next generation changed how random encounters worked, to a system like the one used in Cthulhu Saves the World?

For those who haven't played it, in CStW, each dungeon has a set number of encounters, which can be triggered both by walking through the dungeon and getting into fights randomly, and through a "force encounter" option in the pause menu.

After the number of "Set encounters" has been reduced to zero, you will no longer enter battles at random by walking through the dungeon, but you will still be able to use the "force encounter" option if you enjoy fighting the area's enemies, or simply wish to do some level grinding.

How would you react to such a system being implemented in Pokemon?

I like the idea for other RPGs but it would kinda destroy the illusion that Pokemon are wild animals (or plants or objects) for me.

Also it wrecks the gameplay mechanics. The point of having wild Pokemon attack isn't just so you can grind and level up, you're catching them too. Also it would seriously mess EV training up
#3alatreon789Posted 7/18/2013 3:18:34 PM
WORST! IDEAL! EVER!
---
This signature will not change until the rebirth of Nintendo Power. PSN: Interitum48
Started: 9:56 PM 12/18/2012
#4Gatorade22Posted 7/18/2013 3:20:07 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5ClassyOldHat(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 3:52:03 PM
Doctor_Spanky posted...
I like the idea for other RPGs but it would kinda destroy the illusion that Pokemon are wild animals (or plants or objects) for me.

Yeah, I could understand that.

Also it wrecks the gameplay mechanics. The point of having wild Pokemon attack isn't just so you can grind and level up, you're catching them too. Also it would seriously mess EV training up

I actually thought this would make EV training more streamlined; remember, the "force encounter" button would still work even after all of the random encounters had been used. So instead of going "Five steps. Basculin. Thirteen steps. Basculin. Three steps. Basculin." etc., you'd go "Force encounter. Basculin. Force encounter. Basculin. Force encounter. Basculin." until you'd finished.

I also should have mentioned that what you'd encounter would still be as random as the area would allow. So if the route you were on had 20% Mareep, 40% patrat, and 40% pidgey, that would still be the same, even with forced encounters.

That said, I don't know how shaking grass could be translated to this. That would be another potential flaw.