This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want a ocean like Hoenn's in gen 6!

#11EternalNetherPosted 7/18/2013 8:04:16 PM(edited)
I didn't mind the linearity of Unova either. It was still open enough for me to explore, and the entire place was gorgeous. I also love the more stylized approach to the world map in Unova, and it looks even better for Kalos. Super artsy decision, and it's awesome.

EDIT: Although I'd like to add I couldn't stand the Entralink in the center of the map. The damn thing looked like an eye just staring at me, half open, ever time I looked at my town map.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0619-3902-4035
Pokemon White Friend Code:0433-9592-2992
#12Taiphlosion(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 8:11:55 PM
What's the problem you guys have with the ocean? The secret areas it had were pretty rad and really, the best pokemon memories i have were exploring it. I would always find a new island with itens, a new cave or a new underwater path and that was just great. If you didn't want to see tentacools/wingulls you just had to buy repels.

Btw the ocean was not the only great thing in hoenn. I think it was the pokemon game with the most optional areas that you could visit during the main game. That route before the city with trees was just amazing, for instance. The one after it was great as well.
---
"I've got nothing to give, got no reason to live. But I will fight to survive, I've got nothing to hide, wish I wasn't so shy"
#13EternalNetherPosted 7/18/2013 8:21:51 PM
Taiphlosion posted...
What's the problem you guys have with the ocean? The secret areas it had were pretty rad and really, the best pokemon memories i have were exploring it. I would always find a new island with itens, a new cave or a new underwater path and that was just great. If you didn't want to see tentacools/wingulls you just had to buy repels.

Btw the ocean was not the only great thing in hoenn. I think it was the pokemon game with the most optional areas that you could visit during the main game. That route before the city with trees was just amazing, for instance. The one after it was great as well.

Like I said TC, I never got around to playing Gen III. The only gen I never got to play. Find me a video of these awesome sights you're talking about. Anyway, I think most people here probably dislike that when surfing you're either going to be burning through repels like mad, or else running into wild Pokemon every 5 seconds. At least on land there's usually a way to avoid most grass if you want.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0619-3902-4035
Pokemon White Friend Code:0433-9592-2992
#14FuneralCakePosted 7/18/2013 8:23:43 PM
I'd rather explore land than ocean, personally. If another game is ever going to have a large amount of water, I'd prefer that only "dark spots" of water allow encounters instead of the whole thing. Yes, I can use repels, but I shouldn't have to. Plus, land just has so many other options that water doesn't have.

Infernus93 posted...
I usually don't care for .gif responses, but that's a good one.

Hey, all my gif responses are amazing.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
love me like it's prom night
#15_Super_Shadow_Posted 7/18/2013 8:28:15 PM
that song sounds so beautiful when not interrupted by a tentacool every three seconds.
---
Lucina, Newtwo, Ridley, Bowser Jr, Little Mac, and Lloyd Irving for SSB4
Dream Roster: http://www.imageshack.com/scaled/large/577/lghv.png
#16JakeisaLiePosted 7/18/2013 8:34:45 PM
I agree, my favorite part of the games as a kid was just exploring every single inch of that ocean. I kinda want more areas like that, even if they're not necessarily water areas.
---
http://wallbot.net/walls/preview/1841.jpeg
Official Rotom of the X/Y boards
#17Infernus93Posted 7/18/2013 8:40:55 PM
Taiphlosion posted...

Speaking on matters of the ocean specifically, I found it very monotonous. If you don't use repels, it's also very tedious. I did use repels, thankfully. Those routes were actually the first time in four gens (I played Gen IV and III out of order) that I felt it was necessary to do so.

Most Pokemon games have the same issues with large water routes, honestly. What made it worse in Hoenn was the larger amount (argue the number of routes all you want, the overall span of that stretch is the problem) and, somewhat ironically, the neat (ehhhh...meh) new diving feature that encouraged (forced, in some cases) you to spend more time on the water.

I can see how it might appeal to some people, but it just didn't work for me.

I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone but me, but I feel like it would have been a lot better if I could have zoomed out to a more elevated perspective and seen a larger portion of the map.
---
I like Monster Rancher.
#18P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 7/18/2013 9:05:23 PM
The ocean was probably my favorite part of Hoenn, but I find it understandable that a lot of people didn't like it. If Kalos were to have a grand water route like Hoenn did, but more refined (and hopefully with some dive spots), I think that would be great
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#19MagikarpRulesPosted 7/18/2013 9:36:05 PM
People complain about rate encounter in Hoenn's water routes, but the Surf speed there was greater than Sinnoh's. And maybe it's just me, but I didn't find the encounter rate that high. Maybe your dislike of gen 3 is affecting your memories of the games.
#20SpiderLanternPosted 7/18/2013 9:50:01 PM
MagikarpRules posted...
People complain about rate encounter in Hoenn's water routes, but the Surf speed there was greater than Sinnoh's. And maybe it's just me, but I didn't find the encounter rate that high. Maybe your dislike of gen 3 is affecting your memories of the games.

Maybe you don't know this, but people are allowed to have different opinions.
---
"Everyone step back. Me and this Jigglypuff are going to tangle and I don't want anyone getting hurt."