This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want a ocean like Hoenn's in gen 6!

#31SpiderLanternPosted 7/18/2013 10:04:17 PM
MagikarpRules posted...
beebarb posted...
There was too much water, the novelty wore of rapidly after realising the limited encounter pool, maddening encounter rate, and the slow rate of movement compared to land.

Even today, the one thought that crosses my mind the first time each game I am forced to surf the 'demon ocean' is, "I can't wait until I've gone to each town so I can just fly to skip this hell".

Surf in Gen 3 was not slow-paced at all. And most water routes were skippable.

I'd agree with this except that exploration is part of the experience in RPGs IMO.
---
"Everyone step back. Me and this Jigglypuff are going to tangle and I don't want anyone getting hurt."
#32SpiderLanternPosted 7/18/2013 10:05:49 PM
MagikarpRules posted...
SpiderLantern posted...
MagikarpRules posted...
SpiderLantern posted...
Lexifox posted...
You mean an area that doesn't take up very much of the map and is largely optional because you have a map and destinations that are fairly well defined but people are gonna ***** anyway that "half the game is water"?

An area much larger than Mt. Coronet, yet people complain about that in Sinnoh a lot.

Well, didn't you yourself say people are allowed to have different opinions?

I know. I'm not saying her opinion was wrong. I just notice Sinnoh gets a lot of hate for Mt. Coronet and Hoenn for water routes. So just pointing out that it's almost the same argument and how people complain about a little mountain so of course they'll complain about an ocean.

Well, my beef with Mt. Coronet is having to come back more than once to advance the plot.

Well, only three times, and each was different.
---
"Everyone step back. Me and this Jigglypuff are going to tangle and I don't want anyone getting hurt."
#33Infernus93Posted 7/18/2013 10:06:57 PM
MagikarpRules posted...
SpiderLantern posted...
MagikarpRules posted...
People complain about rate encounter in Hoenn's water routes, but the Surf speed there was greater than Sinnoh's. And maybe it's just me, but I didn't find the encounter rate that high. Maybe your dislike of gen 3 is affecting your memories of the games.

Maybe you don't know this, but people are allowed to have different opinions.

And your point is...?

This is not a matter of opinion, it's some of them stating things as fact. It's not the same thing.

Maybe it is a fact, though. Maybe the one person who commented on encounter rates before your original post really did have an encounter every three seconds. I don't think it's likely either, but hell, I wasn't looking over their shoulder when they played the game.

Then again, maybe it's just hyperbole.
---
I like Monster Rancher.
#34MagikarpRulesPosted 7/18/2013 10:07:15 PM
SpiderLantern posted...
MagikarpRules posted...
beebarb posted...
There was too much water, the novelty wore of rapidly after realising the limited encounter pool, maddening encounter rate, and the slow rate of movement compared to land.

Even today, the one thought that crosses my mind the first time each game I am forced to surf the 'demon ocean' is, "I can't wait until I've gone to each town so I can just fly to skip this hell".

I'd agree with this except that exploration is part of the experience in RPGs IMO.

Yes, but then again, rate encounter is not as high as they say, and Surfing was almost as fast as running.
#35SpiderLanternPosted 7/18/2013 10:11:35 PM
MagikarpRules posted...
SpiderLantern posted...
MagikarpRules posted...
beebarb posted...

Yes, but then again, rate encounter is not as high as they say, and Surfing was almost as fast as running.

For me the water routes are really boring and I like to explore every inch to make sure I get every item. So the routes being so open made that part take or at least seem to take a long time. Land is just more appealing to me to travel. That and I didn't like spending my money on repels for some reason until gen IV.
---
#36ClassyOldHatPosted 7/18/2013 10:31:02 PM
Lexifox posted...
You mean an area that doesn't take up very much of the map and is largely optional because you have a map and destinations that are fairly well defined but people are gonna ***** anyway that "half the game is water"?

1: Being optional does not make a feature immune to criticism. See, :IV breeding, the Dream World, Voltorb Flip, and the GTS.

2: there is no variety on the ocean, and an area that large NEEDS variety to be interesting. On land, there are all sorts of terrians and backdrops, but in the ocean, there is water, rocks, and the occasional sandbar or dive spot. To make it worse, All trainers are swimmers or fishermen who all carry the same breeds of Pokemon around, and every area of the ocean has the exact same Pokemon at the exact same level. Such a monotonous area is a chore to explore, especially if you didn't buy repels because this was your first time going through the game, you had no guide, and for all you knew, your next encounter would be a Lapras that would make all the Tentacool and wingull worthwhile.
#37kingjam1Posted 7/19/2013 12:07:09 AM
No. No. Anything but stupid water with terrible music. Hoenn is a terrible region.
---
Can't think of anything
#38KitschgardenerPosted 7/19/2013 12:11:38 AM
KillerMechanoid posted...
As long as they have more variety than Hoenn's oceans while surfing, go for it.
#39Taiphlosion(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 12:23:57 AM
kingjam1 posted...
No. No. Anything but stupid water with terrible music. Hoenn is a terrible region.

Terrible music? wt5fvghmgc.jh,vkjfcbdxfg;gbhhfkuygv.njko;bgvl.ycdcjmfvl.h,ju;lvofglmdcjldcf,gykvb;ihjn;v vkchy,vgcmxkkcfm
---
"I've got nothing to give, got no reason to live. But I will fight to survive, I've got nothing to hide, wish I wasn't so shy"
#40AlI_About_The_UPosted 7/19/2013 12:25:22 AM
Terrible music? wt5fvghmgc.jh,vkjfcbdxfg;gbhhfkuygv.njko;bgvl.ycdcjmfvl.h,ju;lvofglmdcjldcf,gykvb;ihjn;v vkchy,vgcmxkkcfm

I mostly enjoy the compositions themselves, but that soundfont ruins it for me.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg