This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Ice-type Pokemon trainer?

#21peteybooPosted 7/20/2013 1:20:41 PM
iKhanic posted...
More detail on why I hate Lorelei. When I first played Yellow, I had a Charizard, but I didn't fully understand the type chart. I figured "Hey Fire is good against Ice", so I always tried to start with Charizard. Unfortunately half of her pokemon are water type as well. On top of that, for some reason, her Jynx outsped my Charizard, and did SE damage. And that confused me too. I figured Fire would resist Ice, but apparently, it didn't in Gen 1. I also didn't understand what speed was, so I thought I was just getting unlucky for some reason. This ended up causing me hours of frustration

The reason it said super effective was because it was super effective against Flying. There was some strange hierarchy of type effectiveness in Gen I that made this happen with any attack that would have different effectiveness against each of two types, and Flying was very high on that list. That's why if you used dig against a Golbat, it would say it missed instead of "no effect" or whatever. The Ice attacks were still doing x1 damage to your Charizard; the game just didn't know how to say that for some reason.
---
Gee, it sure is boring around here. *rolls eyes*
Let's Play Zelda: Skyward Sword and a bunch of other games http://www.youtube.com/user/peteyboo
#22melvin343Posted 7/22/2013 10:52:55 AM
peteyboo posted...
iKhanic posted...
More detail on why I hate Lorelei. When I first played Yellow, I had a Charizard, but I didn't fully understand the type chart. I figured "Hey Fire is good against Ice", so I always tried to start with Charizard. Unfortunately half of her pokemon are water type as well. On top of that, for some reason, her Jynx outsped my Charizard, and did SE damage. And that confused me too. I figured Fire would resist Ice, but apparently, it didn't in Gen 1. I also didn't understand what speed was, so I thought I was just getting unlucky for some reason. This ended up causing me hours of frustration

The reason it said super effective was because it was super effective against Flying. There was some strange hierarchy of type effectiveness in Gen I that made this happen with any attack that would have different effectiveness against each of two types, and Flying was very high on that list. That's why if you used dig against a Golbat, it would say it missed instead of "no effect" or whatever. The Ice attacks were still doing x1 damage to your Charizard; the game just didn't know how to say that for some reason.

I would like to point out that Red/Blue/Yellow were broken at the time before GoldSilver correct it's mistakes from Gen 1. Charizard was Fire/Flying so Ice is NVE on fire and Ice is SE on flying so with that, if Charizard was hit with Ice, it should have been a standard attack hit but instead, it was SE against Ice despite it's fire type. The same also appliease to Zapdos who's also SE against his own type Electric types attacks. Gen 1 had major issues with the way the types were handle but Gen 2 fix that and if you play FireRed/LeafGreen, Gamefreak had to make sure that the changes were not going to be the same from Red/Blue/Yellow.
---
Brad Pitt, There's no silencer on that shotgun. How are you supposed to kill anyone softly without a silencer?
XBOX GT: Player1mj117. PSN: playmaker45.
#23CakeOfLiesPosted 7/22/2013 11:03:00 AM
Brycen-Man.
Because he's Brycen-Man.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#24X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/22/2013 11:07:42 AM
Candice then Lorelei.
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#25lordlugia_rocksPosted 7/22/2013 11:28:53 AM
Lorelei. Fire Red and Leaf Green did her a lot of justice plot-wise. Also she has the best team of all the ice trainers.
---
#RememberTheManticore - SMITE
"I'll bait you and outsmart you" - nobody important
#26Oak_TeaPosted 7/22/2013 11:34:33 AM
melvin343 posted...
I would like to point out that Red/Blue/Yellow were broken at the time before GoldSilver correct it's mistakes from Gen 1. Charizard was Fire/Flying so Ice is NVE on fire and Ice is SE on flying so with that, if Charizard was hit with Ice, it should have been a standard attack hit but instead, it was SE against Ice despite it's fire type. The same also appliease to Zapdos who's also SE against his own type Electric types attacks. Gen 1 had major issues with the way the types were handle but Gen 2 fix that and if you play FireRed/LeafGreen, Gamefreak had to make sure that the changes were not going to be the same from Red/Blue/Yellow.

That's incorrect. It would say it's SE, but it would do regular damage.
---
Now playing: FFX-2, Pokemon Emerald (Nuzlocke)