This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why didn't they make Charizard Fire/Dragon type?

#1SkylaIsMyWifePosted 7/20/2013 7:26:04 AM
First off, fire/dragon is one of the most obvious type combinations, and I'm surprised it didn't come until Gen 5.

Also seeing the lack of dragon types in gen 1, I would've thought they would've made Charizard a dragon type to go along with Dragonite. Therefore, Lance's only actual dragon wouldn't be Dragonair/Nite.

Charizard learns MANY dragon moves in its movepool too. Is it because dragon typing would've made Charizard too good? For instance lets say a bunch of kids with link cables and gameboys are battling. One has Charizard and one has Blastoise. Blastoise is supposed to be at advantage here, but due to Charizards dragon typing, water moves hit neutral instead of Super-effective. And because of this. probably every one would choose Charizard instead of the other 2 starters instead.
---
You with a mud duck while i'm swimming with a Swanna 8D
http://i.imgur.com/VBsWOu2.png
#2spooky96Posted 7/20/2013 7:26:55 AM
sigh
---
Pokemon Showdown Peak Ranking OU: 2004
And then lost 7 matches in a row >_>
#3jakovuPosted 7/20/2013 7:28:27 AM
SkylaIsMyWife posted...
Is it because dragon typing would've made Charizard too good? For instance lets say a bunch of kids with link cables and gameboys are battling. One has Charizard and one has Blastoise. Blastoise is supposed to be at advantage here, but due to Charizards dragon typing, water moves hit neutral instead of Super-effective. And because of this. probably every one would choose Charizard instead of the other 2 starters instead.

You just answered your own question.
#4ZTIger5Posted 7/20/2013 7:29:48 AM
Probably because if they did that back in Gen 1, it would be overpowered: Fire neutralizes Dragon's Ice weakness, and Dragon neutralizes Fire's Water weakness, so it would have very little to fear (only Rock and Ground, which were fairly restricted in terms of goodness) and throw off Blastoise's advantage.
---
Playing) Fire Emblem: Awakening, Guild Wars 2
Waiting) Pokemon XY
#5shayminguy7Posted 7/20/2013 7:33:13 AM
Also, Dragons were pretty exclusive in Gen 1. The only Dragon-types were the Dragonite family, which was a pretty big group of Pokemon with the whole pseudo-legendary status. It was supposed to be a super rare type of Pokemon at the time.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6594 - 8429
Name: Tyler
#6SkylaIsMyWife(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2013 7:37:40 AM
ZTIger5 posted...
Probably because if they did that back in Gen 1, it would be overpowered: Fire neutralizes Dragon's Ice weakness, and Dragon neutralizes Fire's Water weakness, so it would have very little to fear (only Rock and Ground, which were fairly restricted in terms of goodness) and throw off Blastoise's advantage.

Yup, I guess I really did answer my own question like the man above said. But Gen 4 was ridiculous looking at the starter advantages. Infernapes fire/fighting allows it's fire moves to hit Empoleon neutral, and its fighting to give a pure SE advantage. And then Torterras grass type hits Empoleon neutral, but I guess that's where it's ground type comes in.
---
#7DweezleMoonunitPosted 7/20/2013 7:39:57 AM
shayminguy7 posted...
Also, Dragons were pretty exclusive in Gen 1. The only Dragon-types were the Dragonite family, which was a pretty big group of Pokemon with the whole pseudo-legendary status. It was supposed to be a super rare type of Pokemon at the time.

This is the only reason.
---
What does a nosy pepper do? It gets Jalapeno business.
Official Frank Zappa of Every Board
#8SkylaIsMyWife(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2013 7:40:59 AM
SkylaIsMyWife posted...
ZTIger5 posted...

Yup, I guess I really did answer my own question like the man above said. But Gen 4 was ridiculous looking at the starter advantages. Infernapes fire/fighting allows it's fire moves to hit Empoleon neutral, and its fighting to give a pure SE advantage. And then Torterras grass type hits Empoleon neutral, but I guess that's where it's ground type comes in.

Also, Empoleons water type hits Torterra neutral too.. I have no idea what they were thinking, they probably just didn't care.
---
#9bd43Posted 7/20/2013 7:44:31 AM
It's because there were no dragon moves in Gen 1.

This was stated by developers.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#10SkylaIsMyWife(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2013 7:47:56 AM
bd43 posted...
It's because there were no dragon moves in Gen 1.

This was stated by developers.

Moves are all that matters to them? And not the awesome typing advantages it'd have?
---