This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why didn't they make Charizard Fire/Dragon type?

#21bobstevens23123Posted 7/20/2013 8:11:27 AM
Just to piss me off
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960188-call-of-duty-black-ops/59821100
#22PrettyTonyTigerPosted 7/20/2013 8:12:34 AM
Faust_8 posted...
Not every draconian is Dragon type for the same reason not everything aquatic is Water type. Just look at Malamar.

yea and that only started happening in gen 5 basically, with Eelektross. Water types were getting way overblown so i'm glad for this anyways
---
TIGERJACKS0N posted...
I am god basically
#23iKhanicPosted 7/20/2013 8:13:09 AM
Lexifox posted...
I like how so many people are claiming competitive balance or whatever when it's clear that GF really didn't care that much about this.

Also, can I get a link to this source where the devs state that they didn't make Charizard a Dragon because of a lack of Dragon moves?

Charizard isn't a Dragon type because it has 3 types that fit it, and Gamefreak could only choose 2. So they chose Fire and Flying.

Now it is possible that they wanted Dragon types to have this really rare and legendary feel to them, which would make sense with Lance being the dragon master and the anime's treatment of Dragonite, but really that's just speculation.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#24LexifoxPosted 7/20/2013 8:16:51 AM
iKhanic posted...
Lexifox posted...
I like how so many people are claiming competitive balance or whatever when it's clear that GF really didn't care that much about this.

Also, can I get a link to this source where the devs state that they didn't make Charizard a Dragon because of a lack of Dragon moves?

Charizard isn't a Dragon type because it has 3 types that fit it, and Gamefreak could only choose 2. So they chose Fire and Flying.

Now it is possible that they wanted Dragon types to have this really rare and legendary feel to them, which would make sense with Lance being the dragon master and the anime's treatment of Dragonite, but really that's just speculation.

Pretty much any reason that (insert reptile/serpent here) isn't a Dragon comes down to speculation, though. It's rare that you get actual evidence and even then that gets pushes aside by overzealous fans.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#25bd43Posted 7/20/2013 8:19:47 AM
Faust_8 posted...
Not every draconian is Dragon type for the same reason not everything aquatic is Water type. Just look at Malamar.

And Fire/Flying makes just as much sense.

And really, a Fire/Dragon starter? Why would anyone choose Squirtle or Bulbasaur besides ignorance? Even now nothing stops those STABs besides Heatran. (And he doesn't even stop Reshiram thanks to Turboblaze.)

Steep learning curve in a one off game. Dragon wouldn't have paid off until mid game.

Obviously, now, it's hard to pinpoint a reason. But at the time, Dragon had no real weakness so they left it to one Dragonite. IIRC, Dragonair was pretty broken by association.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#26LexifoxPosted 7/20/2013 8:24:13 AM
bd43 posted...
Faust_8 posted...

And Fire/Flying makes just as much sense.

And really, a Fire/Dragon starter? Why would anyone choose Squirtle or Bulbasaur besides ignorance? Even now nothing stops those STABs besides Heatran. (And he doesn't even stop Reshiram thanks to Turboblaze.)

Steep learning curve in a one off game. Dragon wouldn't have paid off until mid game.

Obviously, now, it's hard to pinpoint a reason. But at the time, Dragon had no real weakness so they left it to one Dragonite. IIRC, Dragonair was pretty broken by association.

Dragonair was broken because Agility/Thunder Wave and Wrap.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#27NaitoOkamiPosted 7/22/2013 8:49:44 PM
Something tells me all these "Why didn't they make ******* blah/blah type" threads popping up are the same guy with multiple accounts. They have identical layouts just with the types and the pokemon names changed.
#28GBeastMegamanBXPosted 7/22/2013 8:58:18 PM
shayminguy7 posted...
Also, Dragons were pretty exclusive in Gen 1. The only Dragon-types were the Dragonite family, which was a pretty big group of Pokemon with the whole pseudo-legendary status. It was supposed to be a super rare type of Pokemon at the time.

^This, also it would make Charizard an OP starter given that rep Dragons had in Gen I. Plus as stated before, it would cover up the weakness triangle that the starters have.
---
"I noticed your beautiful hair right away" - Minato to Kushina
#29agent9149Posted 7/22/2013 8:59:19 PM
Because it's a starter.
#30superluckynoobPosted 7/22/2013 9:02:59 PM
All this talk of how Charizard should have been a Dragon-type makes me think of how Blastoise missed out on being part Steel.
---
"For the wise, life will remain a high-spirited song, whose theme is struggle."
FC: 1332-8280-6962