This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Charizard were Fire/Dragon, would it be better or worse?

#11BountyanPosted 7/20/2013 1:19:29 PM
Better. Its Solar Power strategy would be more viable without HP getting cut in half every switch if the opponent sets up SR. Yes it would be weak to Earthquake, but the trade off for not being weak to also common water and electric attacks is a decent one. Also like that one guy above me said, STAB Fire and Dragon is great offensive coverage, since Dragon's one resistance is steel, and fire covers that.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#12iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2013 1:27:46 PM
Bountyan posted...
Better. Its Solar Power strategy would be more viable without HP getting cut in half every switch if the opponent sets up SR. Yes it would be weak to Earthquake, but the trade off for not being weak to also common water and electric attacks is a decent one. Also like that one guy above me said, STAB Fire and Dragon is great offensive coverage, since Dragon's one resistance is steel, and fire covers that.

Actually, now that I think about it, your right. Specs Zard in the sun would have a Dragon Pulse with an effective power of around 300, and a Fire Blast with effective power of around 600. So it can pretty much annihilate anything.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#13AysanderPosted 7/20/2013 1:42:37 PM
IMO, it would be exactly the same....

Suppose you DO make Charizard a dragon-type, it still has the unfortunate fact of a low special movepool, owing primarily to gen 1 and 2, both before the phys/special split, where many of the pokemon with a high "Special" had it like that because they had a lot of elemental attacks.

With the split, Charizard lost bonus damage Earthquake, Flare Blitz was placed on it for god knows why (I would've preferred eruption back in gen 3 lol...), and when gen 5 came along they decided NOT to give 'zard STAB hurricane, ergo it cannot even be snuck into rain teams as a Drought countermeasure.

Changing it to dragon would give it STAB Dragon Pulse or Outrage, but honestly, to improve Charizard's competitive standing would require changing the stat distribution of MANY of the gen 1-2 pokes from before the phys/special split.
#14JarickoPosted 7/20/2013 1:48:41 PM
Aysander posted...

Suppose you DO make Charizard a dragon-type, it still has the unfortunate fact of a low special movepool, owing primarily to gen 1 and 2, both before the phys/special split, where many of the pokemon with a high "Special" had it like that because they had a lot of elemental attacks.

With the split, Charizard lost bonus damage Earthquake, Flare Blitz was placed on it for god knows why (I would've preferred eruption back in gen 3 lol...), and when gen 5 came along they decided NOT to give 'zard STAB hurricane, ergo it cannot even be snuck into rain teams as a Drought countermeasure.

Changing it to dragon would give it STAB Dragon Pulse or Outrage, but honestly, to improve Charizard's competitive standing would require changing the stat distribution of MANY of the gen 1-2 pokes from before the phys/special split.

150 base special attack dragon pulse. I do not see the problem here.
---
Rotom Fan With an Air Balloon
YO DOG i heard you like yo Rotom's High. So i gave it a balloon so it can be fly while he high while he way up in the sky! Dog!
#15iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2013 1:55:14 PM
Aysander posted...

Eq's always been a physical attack. What bonus damage are you talking about. And while Charizard doesn't have much variety in its special movepool, it has most of the moves it would want to carry in Fire Blast, Dragon Pulse, SolarBeam, Focus Blast, and Air Slash
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#16InhaledCornPosted 7/20/2013 2:01:33 PM
iKhanic posted...
Aysander posted...

Eq's always been a physical attack. What bonus damage are you talking about. And while Charizard doesn't have much variety in its special movepool, it has most of the moves it would want to carry in Fire Blast, Dragon Pulse, SolarBeam, Focus Blast, and Air Slash

Actually, all it really needs is Fire Blast, Dragon Pulse, and Focus Blast as that lets it hit everything for at least neutral damage and Roost to heal off the recoil from Solar Power.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
I need to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door again...
#17AysanderPosted 7/20/2013 2:05:50 PM
iKhanic posted...
Aysander posted...

Focus Blast and Solarbeam both cover roughly the same types, though, minus water coverage from FB. STAB Dragon Pulse would help if it were quicker without the need for scarf or specs, but I don't see it changing too much.

I remember ground being included in the special category lol...must've mis-remembered, haven't touched gen 1 since I was like nine aside from remakes. It's attack stat was fairly decent back in the day...but now you have 200 base def rock types, so even then...good use of earthquake.

My primary issue with charizard, much as I like him, is SP though...rocks cripple him like mad, and then he had to lose 1/8th hp just to be effective against most of it's enemies. Maybe the only reason it'd benefit from dragon typing is that it'd take less from rock, and get that STAB pulse.

Still think they should give him Hurricane :/
#18xKYSxPosted 7/20/2013 2:09:56 PM
wish serperior was grass/dragon...
---
360 GT & PSN = xKYSx.
#19GoldenSWarriorsPosted 7/20/2013 2:14:00 PM
Better. In sun he would be hard to stop.
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
http://i.minus.com/iyd6J984Oz8cy.gif
#20pokemonzeroPosted 7/20/2013 3:18:33 PM
Charizard would be a killer Fire/Fighting*Shot*
---
I got post 501 once
Please Save my dragonCave Eggs/hatchlings http://dragcave.net/user/-Latios-