This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gym Leaders - Instead of type

#1Legendary_MusasPosted 7/20/2013 2:21:10 PM
Would you be happy with them having a 'theme' instead?

eg Apes, dogs, mythological, river, ocean, farm etc
---
A__A
(o'_.'o)
#2CharizardFirePosted 7/20/2013 2:23:42 PM
Type is a good enough theme.

Besides, it's been confirmed that we're getting type-based gyms again.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#3RotomGuy3Posted 7/20/2013 2:27:06 PM
I had a dream once where there was a Leader called Bea. She was the second leader in the game and had a Level 9 Combee, Level 12 Beedrill and Level 15 Vespiquen. I know that the last one isn't possible.
#4PrettyTonyTigerPosted 7/20/2013 2:27:24 PM
CharizardFire posted...

No it's NOT. It's outdated and overdone. Type gyms just encourage "bring a lot of this type". It's no real challange. Imagine stat based gyms, like speed or attack. Speed with pokemon teams like accelgor, jolteon, electrode etc.
---
TIGERJACKS0N posted...
I am god basically
#5JoJoX200Posted 7/20/2013 2:31:25 PM
CharizardFire posted...

Besides, it's been confirmed that we're getting type-based gyms again.

TC is just asking what we'd think of it. Just because it won't happen this gen doesn't mean we can't discuss about it.

@topic I'd like that very much, especially if themes wouldn't confine the gym to one type(ocean would only include water types, except maybe Malamar). Blue's gym in HGSS made a step into that direction by not having any specific type but being based around trick room(as far as I could see while battling him).
Themes in terms of certain strategies(Gravity, weather, Trick Room) would make gyms a bit more challenging and different.
#6smokinace829Posted 7/20/2013 2:32:52 PM
RotomGuy3 posted...
I had a dream once where there was a Leader called Bea. She was the second leader in the game and had a Level 9 Combee, Level 12 Beedrill and Level 15 Vespiquen. I know that the last one isn't possible.

*Looks at Falkner's Pidgeotto*
---
"If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill"
GT : Brutal Tw0
#7CharizardFirePosted 7/20/2013 2:33:01 PM
CharizardFire posted...

No it's NOT. It's outdated and overdone. Type gyms just encourage "bring a lot of this type". It's no real challange. Imagine stat based gyms, like speed or attack. Speed with pokemon teams like accelgor, jolteon, electrode etc.

Stat-based gyms? Really?

A Speed-based gym will just encourage "bring tons of priority users".
An Attack-based gym will just encourage "bring tons of Pokémon with high Defense".
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#8reaverzPosted 7/20/2013 2:34:27 PM
Strategies like Trick Room, Baton Pass, Double Team *shudder*, and just plain stat ups could be potential Gym focuses if they drop the type theme. However, types just work well because they don't confuse the age demographic that they're aiming for. I wouldn't expect them to drop the type theme for Gyms.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#9animesonicxPosted 7/20/2013 2:47:16 PM
i'd like a late game, high-level, speed gym. it would be a fun challenge
---
official Ninja gallade of the Pokemon boards
im a vampire masked blueberry swordsman. all your arguments are now in valid- name not known
#10PT_PiranhaPosted 7/20/2013 2:49:21 PM
PrettyTonyTiger posted...
CharizardFire posted...

Are you the guy who did the "Elite 4 should be stat-based" thread?

Anyway, no, keep it types. Plenty of times using a Super Effective mon can be a double-edged sword. You think you're gonna mop the floor with the gym, and then suddenly the Leader's team pulls out moves that can still kill you because of their movepools.

I bring out out a Flying type to beat up Clay's team, and suddenly one of his mons uses a Rock attack and it's super effective on me. Just because I have a certain type, it doesn't mean it'll be easy.

(I don't know/remember if Clay's team can do that, but you get the concept.)
---
Remember, don't take video games too seriously- Plenty of GameFAQs users will do that for you.
-Official Kira of GameFAQs-