This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After 17 years, the maps are still tile-based...?

#101X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/21/2013 1:43:09 PM
reevil123 posted...
I love how many people complain about this game, yet it will be #1 on the 3DS charts long after it releases.

It won't, you know why? Because the 101st poster say so!
Also, I'm a terrible liar!
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#102jamieyelloPosted 7/21/2013 1:45:03 PM
People really get mad when this gets brought up, it either really bothers you or it doesn't. Apparently everyone at gf is the latter, it really bothers me, it just seems so unnecessary and claustrophobic, taking it away would make the game just so much more immersive, to me at least.
---
WHEEEEEERES YOOUUUR HEEAAAAD AAAT
#103X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/21/2013 1:46:41 PM
jamieyello posted...
People really get mad when this gets brought up, it either really bothers you or it doesn't. Apparently everyone at gf is the latter, it really bothers me, it just seems so unnecessary and claustrophobic, taking it away would make the game just so much more immersive, to me at least.

I mean they can change it if they want to, I do know I play my RPGs with a D-Pad 99.99999999999999999% of the time so it's still in a < v > ^ tile format for me. I rather have it that way.
Even in XD/Colosseum I mostly played with the D-Pad.
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#104Soul_of_YveltalPosted 7/21/2013 1:51:57 PM
It saves data being tile based. What if with all of the 3d models they have to put in they no longer have room for 3d movement?
---
I am the true Yveltal.
#105bd43Posted 7/21/2013 2:03:33 PM
Soul_of_Yveltal posted...
It saves data being tile based. What if with all of the 3d models they have to put in they no longer have room for 3d movement?

Speaking on data alone, that's unlikely, unless the game is adding 400+ pokemon. 3D models don't take up that much data and the game will only require 900 or so models max while the Carts clock in at 8 GBs(bigger than most PS2 games.

Even then, that excuse wouldn't last forever.

Regardless, though, there's not really much wrong with grid based movement and 8 way directions, grid based or not, allow them to do whatever they'd like with town and building desgins(if they don't, that's another item entirely). All free movement adds at this point is the ability to stop in a certain direction or between what would be grid spots, NOTHING is added via free movement with the exception of the simple concept 'feeling' right and like the 'future'.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#106pyrotempestwingPosted 7/21/2013 2:03:41 PM
You guys do realize that the entire company of Game Freak consists of, like, 80 people.
---
FC's: B1: Lexi 2365-9525-1918; B2: Misaki 4213-1809-7119 3DS FC: Thomas 5069-4431-9392
Official Combat Pragmatist of Real Life.
#107Soul_of_YveltalPosted 7/21/2013 2:08:29 PM
bd43 posted...

Speaking on data alone, that's unlikely, unless the game is adding 400+ pokemon. 3D models don't take up that much data and the game will only require 900 or so models max while the Carts clock in at 8 GBs(bigger than most PS2 games.

Don't forget shinys. so it would be doubled.
---
I am the true Yveltal.
#108ClassyOldHatPosted 7/21/2013 3:59:59 PM
bd43 posted...

Pallet swaps are basically placing stickers over pre-existing models. They take basically no memory. That said, 3D models can take a lot of space, and with 700+ of them, plus trainers and locals and extra forms, I expect a lot of memory would be occupied.
#109bd43Posted 7/21/2013 4:47:45 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
bd43 posted...

Pallet swaps are basically placing stickers over pre-existing models. They take basically no memory. That said, 3D models can take a lot of space, and with 700+ of them, plus trainers and locals and extra forms, I expect a lot of memory would be occupied.

A lot is relative, though. Again, the number of models will probably be closer to 850-900, but they're not exactly going to break the 8 GBs. Even if it's an issue this gen, it shouldn't matter, say, next gen which unless it's on the 3DS and they do absolutely nothing with the time difference.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.