This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After 17 years, the maps are still tile-based...?

#21carpediempimpPosted 7/20/2013 11:31:22 PM
Yeah they needed tile to handle random encounters apparently

I doubt it will be there next gen.
---
Just do it
#22FuneralCakePosted 7/20/2013 11:33:26 PM
carpediempimp posted...
Yeah they needed tile to handle random encounters apparently

I doubt it will be there next gen.

Nope, it's not necessary for random encounters.

They said it was for things like map-based events (placing items, moving characters, etc.) but that's a bunch of BS. It's easier to handle, maybe by just a little, tiny bit, but they didn't need to do tile-based movement for anything.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
love me like it's prom night
#23BountyanPosted 7/20/2013 11:49:20 PM
Yeah, it looks stupid. I really hope next gen goes all out and stops with the tile and grid bullcrap.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#24dwdwdw6Posted 7/20/2013 11:50:02 PM
After 17 years people still use names like "INTERWEBUSER" to troll? Good grief.
#25AlI_About_The_UPosted 7/20/2013 11:59:17 PM
You know what game has made a lot of progress? Call of Duty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYso30L9zI

Damn. Battlefield is so far behind. EA is done.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg
#26beebarbPosted 7/21/2013 12:17:55 AM
Why is everyone against grid based movement?

It makes scripting trigger-events easier. - There are many ways someone can miss a trigger event with free movement only to be pestered by it when they revisit the location. Do you really want the possiblility of being pestered with a capture tutorial in the post-game?

It makes sure clipping glitches aren't possible. - I hated having to reload a map in a game because I glitched through an improperly closed object and got stuck on the wrong side. What about the game crashing because you clip into null space?

It allows for more creative map design. - Working within limitations promotes real creativity, you only have to look at the myriad of shovelware to see that free movement can make for lazy map design.

Didn't anyone notice that they seem to have at least moved to 8-way grid movement, which is a reasonable compromise?
---
I gave up and did the 3DS transfer anyway...
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#27INTERWEBUSER(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 12:25:23 AM
beebarb posted...
Why is everyone against grid based movement?

It makes scripting trigger-events easier. - There are many ways someone can miss a trigger event with free movement only to be pestered by it when they revisit the location. Do you really want the possiblility of being pestered with a capture tutorial in the post-game?

It makes sure clipping glitches aren't possible. - I hated having to reload a map in a game because I glitched through an improperly closed object and got stuck on the wrong side. What about the game crashing because you clip into null space?

LOL. Pokemon games already have had clipping glitches with tile based maps. Plenty of high-quality games aren't on archaic tile-based maps and don't have clipping glitches.

jamieyello posted...
Yeah I agree with TC. If there's one thing I'm bummed out about it's tile movement staying, reason being "they needed it to keep track of how many steps the player takes" which means they know it's a downside but they couldn't figure a way around it.

If they gave a reason like, they thought it added to the gameplay for some reason, maybe I wouldn't care.

Don't see why the number of steps taken has to have a 1/1 correspondence with the number of tiles traveled, but whatever.
---
#28CharocksPosted 7/21/2013 12:25:45 AM
TheCorruptAngel posted...
After 50 years, video game consoles still play video games?

Not according to Don Mattrick
---
Former Xbox Fan - A Flying Ewok
Official Arrow in the Knee of the Skyrim board (360)
#29KeeperOfShadowsPosted 7/21/2013 12:35:33 AM
beebarb posted...
Didn't anyone notice that they seem to have at least moved to 8-way grid movement, which is a reasonable compromise?

LOL

You don't compromise with gamers. The game must have everything they desire, or it is trash.

8-way movement..pfft. Only when we can run in perfect circles will Pokémon's movement be decent!

Besides, it makes getting to places take a whole 3 extra seconds, what with the stopping and turning.
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
You're too angry... calm down... and let the madness take hold. - Arne83
#30_Super_Shadow_Posted 7/21/2013 12:37:59 AM
They made the conscious effort to do this, they said in an interview at E3, the reason the world is still tile based, is that its easiest for the players to understand how the world works, especially when you acompany in things like trainers being alerted to your presence and such.

I honestly think this is a much better alternative than the colosseum feel. which felt incredibly bare, awkward, and unnatural.
---
Lucina, Newtwo, Ridley, Bowser Jr, Little Mac, and Lloyd Irving for SSB4
Dream Roster: http://www.imageshack.com/scaled/large/577/lghv.png