This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After 17 years, the maps are still tile-based...?

#61MT_TRAEHPosted 7/21/2013 7:06:54 AM
NewbieN00b posted...
Enferolunos posted...
What's the problem with being tile based? Would we really gain that much from it not being tile based? It's not action based.

Removing tiles actually frees up the environment design quite a bit. While you can make a smoother enviornment with tiles, especially with the addition of diagonal movement, there are a lot of environment elements that are held back by a grid.

The main reason Gamefreak doesn't want to go full 3D is because they don't think it's worth it and they don't really have the developers for it. IIRC, it's why they weren't comfortable moving to 3D in the first place.

It is pretty pathetic they won't go for 3D movement, the grid doesn't really bother me either. Though it holding back the games look does bother me. (Rivers shouldn't have corners :/)

then the game wouldnt actually be pokemon
---
Misha > Hanako > Rin > Lilly > Shizune > Emi
#62NewbieN00bPosted 7/21/2013 7:14:44 AM(edited)
MT_TRAEH posted...
NewbieN00b posted...
Enferolunos posted...
What's the problem with being tile based? Would we really gain that much from it not being tile based? It's not action based.

Removing tiles actually frees up the environment design quite a bit. While you can make a smoother enviornment with tiles, especially with the addition of diagonal movement, there are a lot of environment elements that are held back by a grid.

The main reason Gamefreak doesn't want to go full 3D is because they don't think it's worth it and they don't really have the developers for it. IIRC, it's why they weren't comfortable moving to 3D in the first place.

It is pretty pathetic they won't go for 3D movement, the grid doesn't really bother me either. Though it holding back the games look does bother me. (Rivers shouldn't have corners :/)

then the game wouldnt actually be pokemon

lol, so I guess those arguments make sense then. Pokemon is all about grid based movement. If you think 3D movement is a problem you really should be bothered by diagonal movement, its ruining pokemon. You need to start a protest. The new generation is ruined :'(

ecylis posted...
Kaizukezu posted...
After 20 years, the Madden NFL games are still about football...?

Wow, just wow.

Ever thought that maybe games are made a certain way for a reason? =D

No, see the difference is Pokemon is not all about being tile-based
Madden is all about football

Tile-based games are slowly dying, and even with the jump to 3D Pokemon still hasn't tried to eliminate it
It's just a matter of refusing to grow

Nah, pokemon is about grid movement, you need to play the games more :c
---
Give me all teh FE D':
White FC: 4428-2451-8791
#63Cheesepower5Posted 7/21/2013 7:31:52 AM
Not a big deal that it's grid based. Pokemon isn't exactly a reflex intensive, action packed game that requires every degree of movement available to it. Sure, you could make the map look slightly more realistic... Can't say that bothers me, though.

If they add it, fine. If they don't add it, no loss.
---
My way is the high way. You'd have to be lactose intolerant to not learn to love it.
Ha! Cheese puns.
#64squirrel_boyPosted 7/21/2013 7:34:10 AM
All the other Pokemon games have been great despite being tile based, so why is this one going to be any different? If you trolls, who most likely aren't even buying the game, want to let something so trivial ruin your experience of an otherwise great game, than so be it. If that's the kind of mindset you people live with, than you are probably living very miserable lives.
#65Anarchy-182Posted 7/21/2013 7:59:06 AM
INTERWEBUSER posted...
beebarb posted...
Why is everyone against grid based movement?

It makes scripting trigger-events easier. - There are many ways someone can miss a trigger event with free movement only to be pestered by it when they revisit the location. Do you really want the possiblility of being pestered with a capture tutorial in the post-game?

It makes sure clipping glitches aren't possible. - I hated having to reload a map in a game because I glitched through an improperly closed object and got stuck on the wrong side. What about the game crashing because you clip into null space?

LOL. Pokemon games already have had clipping glitches with tile based maps. Plenty of high-quality games aren't on archaic tile-based maps and don't have clipping glitches.

jamieyello posted...
Yeah I agree with TC. If there's one thing I'm bummed out about it's tile movement staying, reason being "they needed it to keep track of how many steps the player takes" which means they know it's a downside but they couldn't figure a way around it.

If they gave a reason like, they thought it added to the gameplay for some reason, maybe I wouldn't care.

Don't see why the number of steps taken has to have a 1/1 correspondence with the number of tiles traveled, but whatever.

skyrim has has clipping, annoying when you get stuck and found out your last save was like 3 quests ago.
#66Anarchy-182Posted 7/21/2013 8:01:25 AM
NobanO posted...
Wait a minute. Nintendo rehashing the same ideas for about 20 years? Never!

like Call of duty and a lot of other shooters.
#67koopabros64Posted 7/21/2013 8:05:07 AM
beebarb posted...

It makes scripting trigger-events easier. - There are many ways someone can miss a trigger event with free movement only to be pestered by it when they revisit the location. Do you really want the possiblility of being pestered with a capture tutorial in the post-game?

It makes sure clipping glitches aren't possible. - I hated having to reload a map in a game because I glitched through an improperly closed object and got stuck on the wrong side. What about the game crashing because you clip into null space?

It allows for more creative map design. - Working within limitations promotes real creativity, you only have to look at the myriad of shovelware to see that free movement can make for lazy map design.

Didn't anyone notice that they seem to have at least moved to 8-way grid movement, which is a reasonable compromise?

1. Plenty of fully 3D games manage scripten events just fine.

2. Since when is this a problem with most games?

3. I don't see how this is the case at all. Why would having full 3D movement automatically make this game be less creative? Besides, what we've seen so far isn't exactly anything special.
---
The Platypus, the reason games like spore exist.
#68ProPunkPosted 7/21/2013 8:26:43 AM
INTERWEBUSER posted...
Aladdin2557 posted...
Imo most rivers are like this irl tbf

No, they are not.

You obviously haven't traversed very many rivers.
#69NewbieN00bPosted 7/21/2013 8:37:05 AM(edited)
Anarchy-182 posted...
INTERWEBUSER posted...
beebarb posted...

LOL. Pokemon games already have had clipping glitches with tile based maps. Plenty of high-quality games aren't on archaic tile-based maps and don't have clipping glitches.

jamieyello posted...
Yeah I agree with TC. If there's one thing I'm bummed out about it's tile movement staying, reason being "they needed it to keep track of how many steps the player takes" which means they know it's a downside but they couldn't figure a way around it.

If they gave a reason like, they thought it added to the gameplay for some reason, maybe I wouldn't care.

Don't see why the number of steps taken has to have a 1/1 correspondence with the number of tiles traveled, but whatever.

skyrim has has clipping, annoying when you get stuck and found out your last save was like 3 quests ago.

Well, it is Skyrim. At least (and I admit this is just covering up the issue and not fixing it) in pokemon games you have escape ropes and fly if you get trapped somewhere.

The thing is, don't act like one thing is superior over the other, both systems are going to have issues.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
White FC: 4428-2451-8791
#70Flaming_Fire619Posted 7/21/2013 8:36:53 AM
ecylis posted...
Kaizukezu posted...
After 20 years, the Madden NFL games are still about football...?

Wow, just wow.

Ever thought that maybe games are made a certain way for a reason? =D

No, see the difference is Pokemon is not all about being tile-based
Madden is all about football

Tile-based games are slowly dying, and even with the jump to 3D Pokemon still hasn't tried to eliminate it
It's just a matter of refusing to grow

Really? Because I still see plenty of cash being made off of the tile based games. Fire Emblem, a lot of RTS that are isometric view, Pokemon. Just because you personally don't believe that they're going to sell doesn't mean they don't sell. Hell, Etrian Odyssey IV is basically a tile based game, and it's making money like hotcakes.
---
Not changing until Shelton Benjamin wins the WHC Started: Jan. 10. 2009
http://myanimelist.net/profile/fantheflames