This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After 17 years, the maps are still tile-based...?

#71ZarethPosted 7/21/2013 7:41:25 AM
Tile-based maps are fine in turn-based JRPGs with random encounters.

I could understand being upset if an action RPG still used tile-based maps.
---
It's okay, I have no idea who I am either.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/sage_assassin20/13295475117601.gif http://i.imgur.com/WOo6wcq.png
#72TwinmoldPosted 7/21/2013 8:07:14 AM
The truth is that Game Freak is a money marketing machine, not a game company. Their job is to make as much money as possible, with the smallest amount of effort/money possible, while also further developing the brand so that it can be marketed in other divisions like toys, shirts, etc.

Game Freak makes more money with one game than most companies see with 4. They spend almost nothing on development and instead spend that money on marketing. They get away with this because their fanbase is made up of children, who legitimately don't care because they're kids, and adults who are frightened by the very thought of change.

I skip several generations between Pokemon games because there is so little evolution between them, and it looks like X/Y is next on the list.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#73Montymole11Posted 7/21/2013 8:20:09 AM
INTERWEBUSER posted...
All rivers still have unnatural 90 degree turns?

Wow, just wow.

HELL YEAH!
---
Official Chespin of the XY Boards.
Check out my awesome Pokemon website at https://www.pokemonxystuff.wordpress.com
#74P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 7/21/2013 8:21:59 AM
Twinmold posted...
The truth is that Game Freak is a money marketing machine, not a game company. Their job is to make as much money as possible, with the smallest amount of effort/money possible, while also further developing the brand so that it can be marketed in other divisions like toys, shirts, etc.

Game Freak makes more money with one game than most companies see with 4. They spend almost nothing on development and instead spend that money on marketing. They get away with this because their fanbase is made up of children, who legitimately don't care because they're kids, and adults who are frightened by the very thought of change.

I skip several generations between Pokemon games because there is so little evolution between them, and it looks like X/Y is next on the list.

Get back to Stone Tower, because we certainly don't want or need the cynicism here.
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#75X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/21/2013 8:25:31 AM
I like tile-based and I like turn-based. It's what got me into RPGs (that and leveling up/exp/getting stronger).
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#76YourLuckPosted 7/21/2013 8:30:08 AM
*spits out drink*

INTERWEBUSER topic

*Heats popcorn*

This is going to be good.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#77YourLuckPosted 7/21/2013 8:43:21 AM
Also, it's amazing how many trolls are coming out of the woodworks in response to someone famous on the Heart Gold(?) boards.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#78ElectricNovaPosted 7/21/2013 8:45:42 AM
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
Twinmold posted...

Get back to Stone Tower, because we certainly don't want or need the cynicism here.

Stone tower was a pretty cool dungeon. I was never able to beat the boss without using Chateau Romani though cause your magic runs out too fast.....
---
"France is a place for beauty....and beauty makes people want to sex you..." Nightinangle, on the topic of France
Official Rayquaza of X and Y boards
#79P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 7/21/2013 8:47:04 AM
ElectricNova posted...
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
Twinmold posted...

Stone tower was a pretty cool dungeon. I was never able to beat the boss without using Chateau Romani though cause your magic runs out too fast.....

My favorite part about it was how much fan theories were the product of it. It's why I still love the series, because there's so much room for speculation. And yeah, Stone Tower was pretty awesome
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#80koopabros64Posted 7/21/2013 8:53:38 AM
YourLuck posted...
Also, it's amazing how many trolls are coming out of the woodworks in response to someone famous on the Heart Gold(?) boards.

Having a negative opinion doesn't make you a troll. People really misuse that term nowadays.
---
The Platypus, the reason games like spore exist.