This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After 17 years, the maps are still tile-based...?

#81ElectricNovaPosted 7/21/2013 9:58:50 AM
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
ElectricNova posted...
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
Twinmold posted...
The truth is that Game Freak is a money marketing machine, not a game company. Their job is to make as much money as possible, with the smallest amount of effort/money possible, while also further developing the brand so that it can be marketed in other divisions like toys, shirts, etc.

Game Freak makes more money with one game than most companies see with 4. They spend almost nothing on development and instead spend that money on marketing. They get away with this because their fanbase is made up of children, who legitimately don't care because they're kids, and adults who are frightened by the very thought of change.

I skip several generations between Pokemon games because there is so little evolution between them, and it looks like X/Y is next on the list.

Get back to Stone Tower, because we certainly don't want or need the cynicism here.

Stone tower was a pretty cool dungeon. I was never able to beat the boss without using Chateau Romani though cause your magic runs out too fast.....

My favorite part about it was how much fan theories were the product of it. It's why I still love the series, because there's so much room for speculation. And yeah, Stone Tower was pretty awesome

Yeah, that one fan theory actually ties together the plot of MM really well. Well, maybe it isn't canon but it helps explain a lot of things, so I accept it into my personal canon kind of.
---
"France is a place for beauty....and beauty makes people want to sex you..." Nightinangle, on the topic of France
Official Rayquaza of X and Y boards
#82ClassyOldHatPosted 7/21/2013 10:23:06 AM
Twinmold posted...
The truth is that Game Freak is a money marketing machine, not a game company.

Pulseman, Drill Dozer, and HarmoKnight would like a word with you.

Their job is to make as much money as possible, with the smallest amount of effort/money possible

That's kinda the goal of every business.

That said, Pokemon could really stand to have a lot of TLC put into it: Genuine effort put into game balance, breeding methods that aren't combination Jogging/Lotto simulators, diversions (contests, etc.) that have a little more thought put into them, ways to make EV training feel more natural, less copy/pasting Pokedex entries, reasonable online trading battling and/or Dream World stuff.

... And maybe free movement too. The last one wouldn't make as much difference as the rest, but if they want to put it in, I wouldn't care.

Game Freak makes more money with one game than most companies see with 4. They spend almost nothing on development and instead spend that money on marketing.

[Citation needed]

They get away with this because their fanbase is made up of children, who legitimately don't care because they're kids, and adults who are frightened by the very thought of change.

First off, don't berate the kids, second, I find it amusing how, since I've first followed the black 1 board, every week, I've seen one topic or another, where someone suggests something that needs to change about Pokemon, with a majority of posts in said topic agreeing that the change should be made.

And yet, just because the fanbase, by and large, refuses to believe that what you say is a grid-based mountain is anything more than a molehill, the older fans "are frightened by the very thought of change." Attempting to manipulate with a logical fallacy is one thing, but using false information in a fallacy is quite another.

Really, I feel like more than half the posts in the topic that aren't calling the TC out on past trolling attempts can be read as "yeah, gridless movement would be nice, but it is not the end of the world that it is not here." Yep, that's certainly terror in the face of the mere thought of change.

beebarb posted...
If gamers got everything they desired in every game, there would be no good games. It would all be bloated shovelware with no real function or plot.

Now, posts like this, sadly, are the kind of thing TwinMold and co. latch onto and present as the majority. Frankly, I hate the attitude in this post too, because people raising their voices about frustrations is what brought about things like NOT being reminded of what whether it is at the end of every turn, and why X and Y will allow trading Pokemon you haven't registered in your Pokedex.

Listening to gamer's feedback can provide valuable information. You just need to know what can and cannot be cut.
#83MaetchPosted 7/21/2013 10:49:29 AM
ClassyOldHat posted...
Twinmold posted...

Except none of those games ever hit Pokémon's level of fame.
#84ClassyOldHatPosted 7/21/2013 10:55:35 AM
Maetch posted...
ClassyOldHat posted...
Twinmold posted...

Except none of those games ever hit Pokémon's level of fame.

How does that invalidate the point?
#85Scisor50Posted 7/21/2013 11:07:35 AM
Rad_Dudesman posted...
INTERWEBUSER topic

---
Today will be the day.
#86ShadowMaster684Posted 7/21/2013 11:15:43 AM
Rad_Dudesman posted...
INTERWEBUSER topic

Been on this board for less than an hour and this is already explains a lot.
#87rainonparadePosted 7/21/2013 11:20:58 AM
Come on guys, saying things like "madden and cod don't evolve" doesn't help you're point. Just because some games are stagnant doesn't mean they all have to be. Still, to be fair, 8 directional movement and free movement aren't even all that different. Pretty much, free movement=smother movement, while 8 directional movement=slightly smoother world. This really isn't a problem.
#88YourLuckPosted 7/21/2013 11:31:58 AM
rainonparade posted...
Come on guys, saying things like "madden and cod don't evolve" doesn't help you're point. Just because some games are stagnant doesn't mean they all have to be. Still, to be fair, 8 directional movement and free movement aren't even all that different. Pretty much, free movement=smother movement, while 8 directional movement=slightly smoother world. This really isn't a problem.

We'd like 8 direction movement or free movement, but people like INTERWEBUSER are making this a bigger deal than it really is, so it grinds our respective gears.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#89raazychxPosted 7/21/2013 11:50:33 AM
beebarb posted...
Why is everyone against grid based movement?

It makes scripting trigger-events easier. - There are many ways someone can miss a trigger event with free movement only to be pestered by it when they revisit the location. Do you really want the possiblility of being pestered with a capture tutorial in the post-game?

It makes sure clipping glitches aren't possible. - I hated having to reload a map in a game because I glitched through an improperly closed object and got stuck on the wrong side. What about the game crashing because you clip into null space?

It allows for more creative map design. - Working within limitations promotes real creativity, you only have to look at the myriad of shovelware to see that free movement can make for lazy map design.

Didn't anyone notice that they seem to have at least moved to 8-way grid movement, which is a reasonable compromise?

This guy knows what he's talking about.
#90INTERWEBUSER(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 11:52:33 AM
YourLuck posted...
rainonparade posted...

We'd like 8 direction movement or free movement, but people like INTERWEBUSER are making this a bigger deal than it really is, so it grinds our respective gears.

Grid-based movement and tile-based maps are not necessarily the same thing.

Plenty of games have 8-way movement and maps that aren't tile-based.

Game Freak combines both archaic elements, so their games feel like 20th-century productions.
---