This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After 17 years, the maps are still tile-based...?

#91bd43Posted 7/21/2013 12:05:51 PM
ecylis posted...
Arne83 posted...
Is it really that big of a deal?

It is considering that full 3D movement and worlds would make a much better experience

No, it wouldn't, but we can pretend.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#92NewbieN00bPosted 7/21/2013 12:14:24 PM
INTERWEBUSER posted...
YourLuck posted...
rainonparade posted...
Come on guys, saying things like "madden and cod don't evolve" doesn't help you're point. Just because some games are stagnant doesn't mean they all have to be. Still, to be fair, 8 directional movement and free movement aren't even all that different. Pretty much, free movement=smother movement, while 8 directional movement=slightly smoother world. This really isn't a problem.

We'd like 8 direction movement or free movement, but people like INTERWEBUSER are making this a bigger deal than it really is, so it grinds our respective gears.

Grid-based movement and tile-based maps are not necessarily the same thing.

Plenty of games have 8-way movement and maps that aren't tile-based.

Game Freak combines both archaic elements, so their games feel like 20th-century productions.

Ahhh, thank you. I think this is what I've been feeling for a while now. Grid based movement doesn't bother me, it;s the fact that the environment is built using tiles that bothers me.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
White FC: 4428-2451-8791
#93bbv92628smPosted 7/21/2013 12:15:34 PM
ChaosCreativity posted...
I don't play video games for realism.

Finally! Someone who gets it!
---
"We're going back to potatos."
#94NewbieN00bPosted 7/21/2013 12:17:08 PM
bbv92628sm posted...

What does realism have to do with anything in the topic? We're talking about pokemon....?
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#95NewMoonShadowPosted 7/21/2013 12:35:52 PM
NewbieN00b posted...
bbv92628sm posted...

What does realism have to do with anything in the topic? We're talking about pokemon....?

That's the go-to phrase to fight against anything that might be viewed as any sort of "advancement", that any kind of advancement towards a non-stiff system in any way is considered "moving towards realism". I'll admit this is the first time I've seen someone try to reason that free 360 degree movement constitutes "realism", but there's no comprehending the minds of rabid fanboys on the Defense.

Zelda gave up grid-based movement on the SNES for God's sakes, I think an RPG could stand to be free-roaming.
#96YourLuckPosted 7/21/2013 12:54:25 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
NewbieN00b posted...
bbv92628sm posted...

That's the go-to phrase to fight against anything that might be viewed as any sort of "advancement", that any kind of advancement towards a non-stiff system in any way is considered "moving towards realism". I'll admit this is the first time I've seen someone try to reason that free 360 degree movement constitutes "realism", but there's no comprehending the minds of rabid fanboys on the Defense.

Zelda gave up grid-based movement on the SNES for God's sakes, I think an RPG could stand to be free-roaming.

Is this a 'serious' response to a srs statement?
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#97NewbieN00bPosted 7/21/2013 12:57:10 PM(edited)
NewMoonShadow posted...
NewbieN00b posted...
bbv92628sm posted...

Hm? Oh, I agree, the games need to jump up to free movement. But I don't think I saw anyone say it made it more realistic. I didn't think realism was relevant, I thought we were talking about GF being lazy :/

Though, I may have taken you too seriously, not sure if sarcasm. My realism comment was... kinda intended to be sarcastic? My point was realism isn't the stem of the issue of GF being stuck in the grid age. No one has a problem with the realism of pokemon. I think I got my point across? I'm not good at articulating XD
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#98KeeperOfShadowsPosted 7/21/2013 1:34:44 PM
Not gonna get seriously involved in this, but I have a question for those that say the lack of free movement is GameFreak being lazy.

What if the game has grid movement and is tile based because thats simply how GameFreak wanted the games to be?
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
You're too angry... calm down... and let the madness take hold. - Arne83
#99NewbieN00bPosted 7/21/2013 1:41:36 PM(edited)
KeeperOfShadows posted...
Not gonna get seriously involved in this, but I have a question for those that say the lack of free movement is GameFreak being lazy.

What if the game has grid movement and is tile based because thats simply how GameFreak wanted the games to be?

Then oh well ~( '.' )~
Not like it'll stop people from complaining, or anything.

Though, I could see Nintendo pushing them, as GF was very reluctant to do the games in full 3D in the past. I vaguely remember some interview where they said they didn't have the right staff or something along those lines. And, well, Nintendo isn't gonna go 'add free movement' it'll probably pop up among various improvements. Babby steps.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#100reevil123Posted 7/21/2013 2:38:15 PM
I love how many people complain about this game, yet it will be #1 on the 3DS charts long after it releases.