This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait... I think Professor Sycamore might be the "second professor" after all.

#1SocranPosted 7/21/2013 2:50:02 AM
I can't believe I missed this the first time, and I expect some people to come in and say "we knew this the whole time", but I've seen a lot of discussions mention that the "true" rumors might have gotten some things wrong since "the professor who gives you your starting Pokemon" isn't named Patrice (as Sycamore was said to be the one you meet later, and gives you a Gen 1 starter).

And yet, right there on the main site, the caption for the second image... http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/characters/professor/

"You'll first meet the professor in Lumiose City."

...Which is particularly bizarre, because that's right underneath the big text saying, "He entrusts you and your friends with Pokémon and sends you out on your big adventure!"

Could it be that you actually get your starter from this Patrice person, who comes to Vaniville Town on Sycamore's behalf? This would also match up with the line in the trailer where he says "At last we meet!" Maybe Patrice delivers the Pokemon and Holocaster to you, and Sycamore just phones in his role until you get to the city.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#2Swampert27Posted 7/21/2013 3:11:38 AM
Sycamore is hot.
#3hyperdimeduckPosted 7/21/2013 3:23:48 AM
The professor wasn't in the starting town in DPPt either. But what do I know? who knows how this is going to work out anyway.
---
3DS FC: 4682-8590-2294
Official Jack Frost of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#4Luigi playerPosted 7/21/2013 3:39:56 AM
Sycamore is the opposite of hot.
---
I'm a the Luigi master!
www.freewebs.com/luigi_player/
#5XazealPosted 7/21/2013 3:42:06 AM
I didn't notice this. Lumiose IS kind of far away from the starting area - two whole routes and a town. I can't imagine it will take you that long to get your first Pokémon, since that usually happens within the first three minutes.

So yeah. The rumor probably got that right after all.
#6SlimeStackPosted 7/21/2013 4:12:02 AM
Professor Rowan lived in Sandgem Town and you get a starter from him when he travels to Route 201/Lake Verity, and in B2W2 Professor Juniper lives on the other side of the region and Bianca delivers you the starters.

I know the games don't follow the anime but it's probably worth pointing out that Ash started (and will start) in Pallet Town, New Bark Town, Littleroot Town, Sandgem Town, Nuvema Town and Lumiose City. Regardless of where the player lives in the games, Ash has always visited the region's professor first.
---
Blah.
#7NewbieN00bPosted 7/21/2013 4:13:12 AM
Really good point. Having someone else deliver the pokemon to you would pull it all together.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
White FC: 4428-2451-8791
#8Socran(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 4:38:27 AM
SlimeStack posted...
Professor Rowan lived in Sandgem Town and you get a starter from him when he travels to Route 201/Lake Verity, and in B2W2 Professor Juniper lives on the other side of the region and Bianca delivers you the starters.

Well, the whole "you first meet him in Lumiose City" and "we meet at last" bit seem to confirm that he won't be coming to Vaniville himself. And the Bianca situation isn't too different from the possibility I mentioned with Patrice. It just seems odd since the site mentions that he's the one who starts you off on your adventure, while simultaneously saying you meet him in Lumiose.

Another possibility is that you actually do start the game in Lumiose City, and that's where all of your friends live, but then the "real game" starts shortly after your character moves away to Vaniville Town. (This would match up with what the site says, if we take the comment about Vaniville being your "new home" literally, instead of just interpreting as "your home in the new Pokemon game". Of course, it's just as likely that you moved there from the cosmic void of not-yet-canon, and the game starts with you moving in.) EDIT: After double-checking the site, your friends seem to meet you for the first time in Vaniville, meaning that you probably have just moved there, but blowing a hole in my whole "We all started out in Lumiose and then grew apart" theory. So there wouldn't be much point to a Lumiose prologue.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#9Block_Man_XPosted 7/21/2013 4:40:36 AM
Swampert27 posted...
Sycamore is hot.

Who the heck isn't hot?!?
---
PSN-block-man-x / SSF4 Main Vega.
#10javel34Posted 7/21/2013 4:45:54 AM
Block_Man_X posted...
Swampert27 posted...
Sycamore is hot.

Who the heck isn't hot?!?

Me
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208 http://zettai-cosplay.deviantart.com/art/Skyla-Cosplay-244148531 my wife. Doesn't count Tiger, this ones real.