This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you hate smogon?

#11Great_ReapettePosted 7/23/2013 3:14:28 PM
Smogon is a decent site with good strategy for newbs to competitive battling.

The people there, on the other hand...
---
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
#12pyrotempestwingPosted 7/23/2013 3:23:37 PM
I don't hate it, but I don't particularly care for it either.
---
FC's: B1: Lexi 2365-9525-1918; B2: Misaki 4213-1809-7119 3DS FC: Thomas 5069-4431-9392
Official Combat Pragmatist of Real Life.
#13uuurrrgghPosted 7/23/2013 3:28:06 PM
Neutral, due to great advice, but bad forums.
---
Apparently, I'm nobody.
B2 FC: 3010 5891 4441
#14JarickoPosted 7/23/2013 3:30:57 PM
I could maybe understand a player being a bit like me with smash. I hate competitive smash. I think it drains all the fun out of that game as its meant and built to be a party game. Your not supposed to beat your friends faces in and gloat that you are the best no. Its supposed to be wacky and fun and its supposed to have more sportsmanship. I kinda view the competitive scene there as a bit of a plague only because its influence kinda made it impossible to play with people publicly in smash the way its intended to be played.

However the reason i see pokemon as different is, it is kinda built with competitive in mind. Sure the random chance makes it kinda difficult to do competitively. Sure its kinda planned around double battles and not singles but its kinda what its meant to be anyway. As for the extra rules that is just to keep people from abusing ridiculous strategies so that the entire meta game is not people abusing random chance win moves and people using only a small pool of strategies 100% of the time. It also added tiers to allow you to use the less competitive pokemon in a more even ground.
---
Rotom Fan With an Air Balloon
YO DOG i heard you like yo Rotom's High. So i gave it a balloon so it can be fly while he high while he way up in the sky! Dog!
#15ChaosCreativityPosted 7/23/2013 3:32:49 PM
I don't use it but I don't see anything wrong with it either, so I'm neutral.
#16KeeperOfShadowsPosted 7/23/2013 3:34:12 PM(edited)
Zangoose is in NU?!?!?!

RRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!@#$%^&*()

But no, I don't hate them. They're quit helpful. As for the annoying elitists... lol, they're people on the internet. Why would I let them bother me?
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
You're too angry... calm down... and let the madness take hold. - Arne83
#17Jarred623Posted 7/23/2013 3:36:20 PM
I have no problem with him, though Elesa really deserves better.
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. Twice.
#18JoJoX200Posted 7/23/2013 3:37:14 PM
Jaricko posted...
JoJoX200 posted...
KyrieIrving posted...
i have smogon "liked" on facebook lol

Smogon has an fb page? Wow...

Anyway, on topic. I don't really care about them. The guides on their site were highly useful for me when I tried getting into CP, but the forum is awful imo. I either got ignored or flamed whenever I posted there, or got infracted for no reason.

Well that is the main problem. You went on the forums on there. I look at the tier lists, the rules and some of the move sets recommended as a basis to go off of and i go on showdown to try em out.

Yep, that's the same conclusion I have come to. The CAP section was what led me to join, back then.
#19Block_Man_XPosted 7/23/2013 3:59:54 PM
Jaricko posted...
I could maybe understand a player being a bit like me with smash. I hate competitive smash. I think it drains all the fun out of that game as its meant and built to be a party game. Your not supposed to beat your friends faces in and gloat that you are the best no. Its supposed to be wacky and fun and its supposed to have more sportsmanship. I kinda view the competitive scene there as a bit of a plague only because its influence kinda made it impossible to play with people publicly in smash the way its intended to be played.

However the reason i see pokemon as different is, it is kinda built with competitive in mind. Sure the random chance makes it kinda difficult to do competitively. Sure its kinda planned around double battles and not singles but its kinda what its meant to be anyway. As for the extra rules that is just to keep people from abusing ridiculous strategies so that the entire meta game is not people abusing random chance win moves and people using only a small pool of strategies 100% of the time. It also added tiers to allow you to use the less competitive pokemon in a more even ground.

Competitive Smash is way different too. You are only allowed to play 2 or 3 levels because all of the other ones were deemed unfair. All the items are banned too. I don't know what else is banned , but 90% of the stages and items is insane imo.
---
PSN-block-man-x / SSF4 Main Vega.
#20Earth_EchidnaPosted 7/23/2013 4:06:48 PM
Normally I'd be indifferent about Smogon, but considering my sheer lack of creativity when It comes to movesets, I end up using it a lot and enjoying it. Indeed, some movesets are actually quite good, like Sawsbuck's.
---
Pokemon SoulSilver FC: 1335 1407 6427
When Life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand cookies instead! -Official Sandslash of the PMD3 boards