This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should gamefreak reboot Pokemon?

#1Second_HokagePosted 7/23/2013 7:59:20 PM
Should they? - Results (222 votes)
Yes.
12.16% (27 votes)
No.
70.72% (157 votes)
Maybe, only if they don't stray too far from what we love.
17.12% (38 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Just hear me out, control yourself... Easy... There we go,

I love Pokemon games, however,

I think they should do things differently already, this series needs a reboot. We have WAAAY too many Pokemons. This series needs a fresh start. Every entry is too similar to each other. Get 8 badges, fight against a gang trying to take over the world, challenge the elite four, beat the game.

Its a bit stale, however since i love pokemon, i will always buy the games and enjoy them. However, you can't deny the repetitiveness. We know so much about Pokemon in terms of types and structure that these games are ridiculously easy.

Again, its just an opinion, no need for flame or insults.

What do you think regarding a reboot?
#2Great_ReapettePosted 7/23/2013 8:01:09 PM
Seriously, does ANYONE ever complain about how Zelda has that same old mechanic of "fight eight dungeons beat bad guy win," or is it just Pokémon that attracts these people?
---
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
#3Hughs_RagePosted 7/23/2013 8:01:58 PM
Great_Reapette posted...
Seriously, does ANYONE ever complain about how Zelda has that same old mechanic of "fight eight dungeons beat bad guy win," or is it just Pokémon that attracts these people?

Yes, they complain about it all the time
just to a lesser extent then Pokemon
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdtqd6EJTY1qlpahho1_500.jpg My husbando <3
#4P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 7/23/2013 8:02:26 PM
Simple answer: No.

I don't see a need to reboot. I'd be happy if they were to cut backwards compatibility and give us access to all the previous 649 in Gen VI, but that's about the extent of the reboot for me.

And don't even get me started on the "formula" talks, when just about every other Nintendo franchise pulls the same stunt (looking at you, "New" Super Mario Bros series, LoZ series)
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#5Kumori_no_YoruPosted 7/23/2013 8:02:31 PM
I just assumed that's what the spin-off installments were for, in the event people were tired of the main series.

I'm personally all right with the formula, I just dislike (next to) yearly releases because it induces saturation. I chose to skip White 2 because I felt we were getting too many main installments in such succession -- If I didn't, I probably wouldn't be hyped for Y (or event remotely interested). It's not just Pokemon, it applies to every franchise to me where I'm more comfortable with a new installment every 2 years or so.
---
PSN: Neophoton | NA 3DS: 2277-6964-8962 | JP 3DS: 2509-0978-4639
Currently playing: SMTIV
#6FuneralCakePosted 7/23/2013 8:02:36 PM
We don't have too many Pokemon. That doesn't need to be changed.

Would I be opposed to changing up the "8 gyms, evil team, elite 4" formula? Absolutely not, as long as the alternative was done well enough. Would I be disappointed if that formula wasn't changed? Not really.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
love me like it's prom night
#7P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 7/23/2013 8:05:34 PM
FuneralCake posted...
We don't have too many Pokemon. That doesn't need to be changed.

Would I be opposed to changing up the "8 gyms, evil team, elite 4" formula? Absolutely not, as long as the alternative was done well enough. Would I be disappointed if that formula wasn't changed? Not really.

Also this.

And yes, to Kumori, I understand what you're saying about yearly releases: it does somewhat drive people away that don't want to be playing the same game. But for me, Pokemon is my major series, so I look forward to every release, and still play each game just as much, so maybe it's just me that doesn't feel deterred by yearly releases, I don't know. I just find that if I want to play something other than Pokemon, I have that option with other games, so that when I come back to Pokemon, I know what I'm expecting.
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#8TranquilSeaPosted 7/23/2013 8:09:38 PM(edited)
I'm alright with how they've been doing things, since I feel that every gen adds just enough to make the experience somewhat refreshing, but

Kumori_no_Yoru posted...
I just dislike (next to) yearly releases because it induces saturation.

this. I made the mistake of buying one of the original AND one of the 2 third versions/sequels in gen 5, and to be honest, I feel like I have a lot more to do in White 2 (and even Heart Gold, for that matter). I may pass X and Y just because I'm getting busier and it'd be more wise to wait for what's after X and Y.
---
Phaneuf of your lies.
#9MagikarpRulesPosted 7/23/2013 8:47:54 PM
A company doesn't change the main installments of a franchise: a part of the fanbase whines it's getting stale.

It does change the main games: a different part of the fanbase whines because they changed the mechanics or something.

Long story short, it doesn't matter what it's done, some people will complain.

And like it was already said, that's what the spin-offs are for.
#10adept89Posted 7/23/2013 9:04:55 PM
I see where you're coming from to an extent. I do think there's a really high barrier of entry to the series right now. Anyone wanting to jump into the games at this point has to deal with a large amount of information even if they don't intend to train and play competitively: there's going to be over 600 Pokemon in the newest entry, each with one or two of 18 different types. There's also something to be said about how it's very possible that Game Freak may have tipped their hand a bit early and exhausted a lot of potential with Pokemon like Palkia, Dialga, and Arceus.

That said, I think the storylines and characters have done nothing but improve since the beginning. GF sticks to the 8 gyms + E4 concept because a lot of the diehard fans wouldn't think it would feel like a Pokemon game anymore without it.
---
Heavypress.
Human beings are just so damn interesting!