This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would there be less drama if the Fairy type was called Elf type instead?

#41AngryGFAQerPosted 7/25/2013 8:03:14 AM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
bd43 posted...
Nightinangle posted...
bd43 posted...
My big issue is every added fairy is pink or cute or often both.

Magic or Elf or some similar implied nature to the ttpe would allow more freedom.

Xerneas...

I still think fae would make more sense personally though.

Rainbow. Implied pink.

There is no pink on a rainbow.

Did you enjoy stomping on his inferior sense of masculinity, Drako?
---
"I was garbage, the writing transformed," - Raiden
I'm Batman. I don't enjoy anything.
#42DrakoVongola1Posted 7/25/2013 8:04:40 AM
AngryGFAQer posted...
DrakoVongola1 posted...
bd43 posted...
Nightinangle posted...
bd43 posted...
My big issue is every added fairy is pink or cute or often both.

Magic or Elf or some similar implied nature to the ttpe would allow more freedom.

Xerneas...

I still think fae would make more sense personally though.

Rainbow. Implied pink.

There is no pink on a rainbow.

Did you enjoy stomping on his inferior sense of masculinity, Drako?

Yes, perhaps a bit too much, I have to change pants now.
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#43PkmTrainerAbramPosted 7/25/2013 8:47:01 AM
O_o
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Plat/HG(492/492, 4 Star Gold Card/5 Star Black Trainer Card,), Street Fighter 3(Xbox online sparingly)
#44Faust_8Posted 7/25/2013 12:30:39 PM
Zacks_Fair posted...
Faust_8 posted...

Fairy is best, even if you don't like the name. It has a very broad definition in other cultures (and hey, guess what guys? Pokemon doesn't even come from America! I know, right?!) so we should just stick with that. Your American view of the word fairy is irrelevant.

I don't know where you come from, but generalizing a country like America will only make you look ignorant.

I'm in America and I was born here. :P

All I know is us Americans often have a very rigid Tinkerbell definition of Fairy, or we think of it as insulting slang for gay people, instead of the very broad "magical creature" definition that some other cultures use.

And that using the rigid American definition to judge a non-American game is pretty dumb. Fairy Pokemon have no obligation to conform to our interpretation of what a fairy is. Not to mention that Xerneas already doesn't, if you ask me. I'm expecting a wide array of Fairy types in the future even if it's not Gen VI.
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#45AngryPooMonkeyPosted 7/25/2013 5:39:14 PM
Couldn't they have made the type slightly different and made it into light?
Instead of fairy type if it was light there would probably be less disputes.
It could also be the opposite to dark types and each game could have a dark and light alternative. And they could still be the dragon-killer type. There would also be less stupid homophobes complaining about light because it really isn't something to complain about
#46DrakoVongola1Posted 7/25/2013 6:46:18 PM
AngryPooMonkey posted...
Couldn't they have made the type slightly different and made it into light?
Instead of fairy type if it was light there would probably be less disputes.
It could also be the opposite to dark types and each game could have a dark and light alternative. And they could still be the dragon-killer type. There would also be less stupid homophobes complaining about light because it really isn't something to complain about

Perhaps, but do we really need to do things their way just because they cry about it?
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#47UltrachaoPosted 7/25/2013 6:52:22 PM
If this happened, I would constantly be reminded of that bootleg Vietnamese Crystal Version. I can't tell if that's worse or better.

VOLCANO BAKEMEAT
---
Protoss is clearly the new alliance race for WoW.
MY LIFE FOR AIURnforge -Ridleysbiggestfan
#48Aphoph(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2013 2:44:54 PM
Chaos_Missile posted...
Aphoph posted...
The word used for the egg group (Yosei) in the JP versions is used for both beings like the ones in Lord of the Rings (human sized, pointy eared) and Tinkerbell types.

To be quite frank, the only meaning I've seen translated for bolded AFAIK is Fairy.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1E

Type "elf" and you'll see.

And it's still used for beings like the ones in LotR.
#49Amaterasu55Posted 7/29/2013 3:14:42 AM
Personally I would have preferred Light type over Fairy because we already have Dark so I just assumed we were going to have a Light/Dark thing going, but whatever.
#50ljobenzaPosted 7/29/2013 8:03:27 AM
I ROFLED at the guy who said pink was on the rainbow. Even more hilarious is the fact that pink isn't even a real color.