This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I finally decided to start caring about EVs and IVs, a few questions.

#11TheCorruptAngelPosted 7/25/2013 5:54:00 PM
Using rare candies is fine, actually, as long as you've EV trained your Pokémon. Heck, your Pokémon could be at level 100 and it wouldn't make a difference.
---
Your words are as empty as your signature!
What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets!
#12jayman7Posted 7/25/2013 6:36:00 PM(edited)
reannamator posted...
ajko000 posted...
javel34 posted...
ajko000 posted...
How do items like Zinc affect them?

Every vitamin takes 10 off of the 252 total

Example 10 zinc=100 defense

252-100=152 evs needed before defense is maxed out.

You can only use 10 of a vitamin before it stops working.

Understood, they're better than Rare Candies then? I saw that Rare Candies don't affect the EVs and IVs of a Pokemon.

Exactly. In fact, if possible I'd hold off using rare candies at all until you've finished EV training. Those levels you get from rare candies only have the Pokemon's base stat gains, and none of the additional gains that would have come from achieving the level through battle. :)

That is not how it works at all!

There is no such thing as a "stat gain" in Pokémon and it is perfectly safe to use a Rare Candy any time. Level 1, level 99, whenever (well, be cautious about using them at level 99 in the third or fourth gen if you aren't sure you've finished EV training, but in the fifth gen it doesn't matter.) Stats are calculated from a formula, and "number of Rare Candies used" is only an indirect factor (more Rare Candies = higher level. That's right, your stats will be higher and never lower by using a Rare Candy!)

The reason to wait when using Rare Candies is that higher levels require more EXP, and Rare Candies always increase your level regardless of how much EXP you need. Since EV training will get you EXP anyway, may as well take advantage of the low EXP-to-next-level, and save the rare Rare Candies for when you need more. But that's it! It won't have any negative effect on your stats to use Rare Candies at low levels or before EV training!
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#13jayman7Posted 7/25/2013 6:37:56 PM
Also, regarding Vitamins: it's not that you can only use 10 of each Vitamin, and more that they stop working at 100 EVs.

Here, read this topic I wrote that's stickied to the Black 2 board:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64612734
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#14Gsus_94Posted 7/25/2013 7:04:08 PM
jayman7 posted...
reannamator posted...
ajko000 posted...
javel34 posted...
ajko000 posted...
How do items like Zinc affect them?

Every vitamin takes 10 off of the 252 total

Example 10 zinc=100 defense

252-100=152 evs needed before defense is maxed out.

You can only use 10 of a vitamin before it stops working.

Understood, they're better than Rare Candies then? I saw that Rare Candies don't affect the EVs and IVs of a Pokemon.

Exactly. In fact, if possible I'd hold off using rare candies at all until you've finished EV training. Those levels you get from rare candies only have the Pokemon's base stat gains, and none of the additional gains that would have come from achieving the level through battle. :)

That is not how it works at all!

There is no such thing as a "stat gain" in Pokémon and it is perfectly safe to use a Rare Candy any time. Level 1, level 99, whenever (well, be cautious about using them at level 99 in the third or fourth gen if you aren't sure you've finished EV training, but in the fifth gen it doesn't matter.) Stats are calculated from a formula, and "number of Rare Candies used" is only an indirect factor (more Rare Candies = higher level. That's right, your stats will be higher and never lower by using a Rare Candy!)

The reason to wait when using Rare Candies is that higher levels require more EXP, and Rare Candies always increase your level regardless of how much EXP you need. Since EV training will get you EXP anyway, may as well take advantage of the low EXP-to-next-level, and save the rare Rare Candies for when you need more. But that's it! It won't have any negative effect on your stats to use Rare Candies at low levels or before EV training!

Exactly. Gen 5 made it so that you can EV train a pokemon that's at level 100 if it hasn't been ev trained already (I.E. certain wi-fi event pokemon). You can see their stats go up even if they don't level up (which they wont because they are already at level 100)
---
3DS FC: 0473 7779 6792
ACNL: Melo from Besaid