This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Strong pokemon. Weak pokemon. That is the perception of selfish people."

#61Lord_ProsperPosted 7/25/2013 7:46:03 PM
DaVeBaTiStAFaN posted...
Pokemon wasn't made to be competitive.

I don't think you know what the word 'competitive' means. The fact that there's a two player mode, in which you COMPETE with your friend, means that Pokemon most certainly WAS made to be competitive.
#62AlI_About_The_UPosted 7/25/2013 7:49:05 PM
Karen's a scrub, though.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg
#63Block_Man_XPosted 7/25/2013 7:51:35 PM
raazychx posted...
The problem with Smogon is that evasion is banned.

I think trying to fight based on tiers is okay, but there are extensive rules which they've made which are ridiculous.

People who like to be in control can't stand it when something random happens that doesn't favor them. Thus they try eliminate any factors of randomness and be in total control. Thus why the OHKO clause and the Evasion clause exist -- they only like what's predictable and boring. They also don't like critical hits. How very odd.

In any case, Smogon will fall out of vogue simply due to not being able to keep up with X and Y. No free 2-D sprites there.

I've never seen something against critical hits on Smogon.
---
PSN-block-man-x / SSF4 Main Vega.
#64kclaujamesPosted 7/25/2013 8:01:02 PM
Pokemon Amie is the other only REAL meaning of having Pokemon, other than using them in battles. I am hoping we see some nice mechanics in the new system.
#65sonicfanaticjtbPosted 7/25/2013 8:08:09 PM(edited)
raazychx posted...
Oh, look, this topic is still here.

Say, just a question, would the metagamers still be metagaming without the action replays? I doubt even 80% of pokes are legitly raised. There's even that one thing, what's it called? The pokégenerator or something?

I'm sure the developers didn't have THAT in mind.

Actually, I believe that there are quite a few competitive players who raise legit teams. I remember elsewhere there were a few topics dedicated to battling competitively that followed smogon's rules and most of the players used legit teams. I used "legal hacks" 'cause I dun have that kind of patience.

That said, I mostly battle using simulators, so I personally wouldn't be effected.
---
"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"
"I don't give a damn what other people think. What do ya think about that?"
#66Akira502002Posted 7/25/2013 9:05:36 PM
I still try to actually catch as many pokemon as I can, but there is a lot of garbage out there.
---
PSN: senbonzakura713
#67l33t_iRk3n_Rm33Posted 7/28/2013 5:21:02 PM
Oh an AI is a casual player, we should ALL be like her, a der der derrrr.
---
You think I'm stupid for liking Nintendo? You're the one who thinks that "just for little kids" starts with an E.
http://i.imgur.com/QiEb7.jpg
#68MaetchPosted 7/28/2013 6:15:00 PM
Karen is an NPC. Therefore, she is programmed to spout the exact same mindless drivel as everybody else in the games about how all Pokémon are special and that you can do anything with them. I'm not even a competitive player and I know that Karen is just full of it.

There's no reason to care about what is essentially pixels and digits. It's all a game, and a game spurs competition. Since the in-game Trainers are essentially dumber than a sack of bricks and only exist as punching bags for XP and money, that just leaves player-vs.-player gameplay, which is dominated by a metagame that says "win at any cost".
#69DarkDragon386Posted 7/28/2013 6:37:27 PM
raazychx posted...
D_Bart posted...
raazychx posted...

People who like to be in control can't stand it when something random happens that doesn't favor them. Thus they try eliminate any factors of randomness and be in total control. Thus why the OHKO clause and the Evasion clause exist -- they only like what's predictable and boring.

Not sure if serious.

Serious.

I'm just bored of encountering the same mons over and over. Everybody wants to win and they'll go to whatever extent to do it. Smogon's no exception.

First, it was nothing but legendaries and ubers, and then Smogon came around and fixed it, which was cool, but now most people only play with the stronger pokes...

It's kind of boring. I wish we'd never really found out about base stats and all that. I really hope IV's and EV's are eliminated, somehow, or that base stats are rebalanced, or something.

Which is why Smogon made tiers for their metagames. Believe it or not, Smogon didn't make Ferrothorn better than Magikarp or Gyarados better than Luvdisc. That was Gamefreak. If Gamefreak really believed that drivel that winning with your favorites is possible, they wouldn't have made Farfetch'd so awful while making Mewtwo so powerful.

And, you want more diversity? Play UU, RU, or NU.

If this luck crap you're going on about actually existed, then Smogon would have a way to eliminate critical hits, banned paraflinchers like Togekiss and Jirachi, banned scald, and make a paralysis/poison/burn/freeze clause. But, nope, none of that has happened.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#70goldwPosted 7/28/2013 6:45:16 PM
DarkDragon386 posted...
<And, you want more diversity? Play UU, RU, or NU.

Literally less diverse than OU.
---
The Elbow of Peace shall cast judgement on the guilty