This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Strong pokemon. Weak pokemon. That is the perception of selfish people."

#81sonicfanaticjtbPosted 7/28/2013 9:40:40 PM
Oblivion_Hero posted...

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-stats-june-2013.3485467/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-stats-june-2013.3485614/

For the June 2013 Usage Stats on Smogon's server,

The top 10 most used pokemon in UU on average appeared on 15.5362% of teams, and the top 20 most used appeared in 13.278% of teams. 19 pokemon are used on more than 10% of teams. 85 pokemon were used in more than 1% of teams.

The top 10 most used pokemon in OU on average appeared in 15.8342% of teams, and the top 20 most used appeared in 13.198% of teams. 15 pokemon are used on more than 10% of teams. 97 pokemon were used in more than 1% of teams.

Overall, while you are more likely to encounter a member of OU's top 10 than UU's top 10, you are more likely to run into members of UU's top 20, and the players frequently use a lower variety of pokemon in UU (makes sense considering less options of pick from compared to OU).

But also of note for OU:
+ it has dedicated weather starters in Politoed and Tyranitar at 3 and 6 in usage respectively, and weather is a strong selection pressure for pokemon that synergize with it, and pokemon that deal with abusers of it. That said, auto-weather can also make more low tier pokemon viable, explaining why things like Charizard break 1% usage in OU and not in UU.
+ you have your full range of non-uber options for each niche or role. Less competition in each role the further down you drop

*shrugs* Just going on personal experience. The reason I play the lower tiers (specifically, UU ) over OU is do to feeling that there's way more options as far as pokémon that are viable in the tier and there just being more diversity in the kinds of teams that I see. Sure, UU like any other tier has it's select 'mons that are seen quite often (last gen could get rather bad with Venasaur and Milotic being used in nearly every team, and Weezing being used nearly as often do to being a counter to Venasaur ), but not only do I feel that I saw plenty of UU's lower ranking 'mons as well, but also a variety of RU and/or NU 'mons. Maybe it's 'cause I am at the bottom of the ladder, but I know that I see quite a few pokémon not in the top 20 being used along side some of those top 'mons.
---
"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"
"I don't give a damn what other people think. What do ya think about that?"
#82_Shadownite_Posted 7/28/2013 10:10:20 PM
DaVeBaTiStAFaN posted...
Does it make a difference? Either way it proves my point that Smogon isn't supposed to exist.

Dude, I don't care much about Smogon either, but that seems a little harsh. let them have their fun while you have yours.
#83Swampert27Posted 7/28/2013 10:28:06 PM
Lolsmogon.
#84pokemonfreak97Posted 7/29/2013 9:23:14 AM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
YourLuck posted...
raazychx posted...
D_Bart posted...
raazychx posted...
<
Serious.

I'm just bored of encountering the same mons over and over. Everybody wants to win and they'll go to whatever extent to do it. Smogon's no exception.

People spamming double team and horn drill will fix this?

Also, this will always happen in a competitive game. People will assume that their opponent will be trying to win, and thus they'll try to win to, and winning involves using your strongest guys.

Competitive games ought not to be boring.

That's why poker is actually an exciting game. A newcomer to the game can absolutely destroy a professional player because they don't know what they're doing. Professional players tend to think statistics in their head all the time, but the luck factor is the driving factor of the game. Yet there's still a subtle amount of skill involved that doesn't control the entire game.

But for Pokemon, at the competitions and metagames, you don't necessarily play the game, the game plays itself.

The story mode itself is more interesting than the metagame just because of the different types and levels you encounter.

Then the solution is obvious. Make a battle simulator where you're given random pokemon with random iv's, ev's and movesets. Then it'll be more luck based.

Also, if you think they're boring, just play something else.

Pokemon Showdown has a random mode like that. The only rule it has is the Sleep Clause too.

Technically IVs and EVs are set to something and natures are neutral, but random battles are awesome.
---
Generation (pi)(i).
When you see this, raise e to the generation and add 1. Social experiment.
#85javel34Posted 7/29/2013 9:32:29 AM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
raazychx posted...
D_Bart posted...
raazychx posted...
<
Serious.

I'm just bored of encountering the same mons over and over. Everybody wants to win and they'll go to whatever extent to do it. Smogon's no exception.

People spamming double team and horn drill will fix this?

Also, this will always happen in a competitive game. People will assume that their opponent will be trying to win, and thus they'll try to win to, and winning involves using your strongest guys.

Competitive games ought not to be boring.

That's why poker is actually an exciting game. A newcomer to the game can absolutely destroy a professional player because they don't know what they're doing. Professional players tend to think statistics in their head all the time, but the luck factor is the driving factor of the game. Yet there's still a subtle amount of skill involved that doesn't control the entire game.

But for Pokemon, at the competitions and metagames, you don't necessarily play the game, the game plays itself.

The story mode itself is more interesting than the metagame just because of the different types and levels you encounter.

So go play Poker and stop playing competitive Pokemon.

You can use whatever Pokemon you want, you're just gonna get trashed in competitive play if you don't use strong ones. You're supposed to try to win in competitive games, that's why they call it competitive.

Well if you use Pokemon on their respective tier then you can pretty much use whoever. Sure some like delibird and farfetch'd are gonna suck, but I doubt many people seriously try to use them anyway.
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208 http://zettai-cosplay.deviantart.com/art/Skyla-Cosplay-244148531 my wife. Doesn't count Tiger, this ones real.
#86deadpool848Posted 7/29/2013 10:02:50 AM
All of these people complaining about how OHKO moves and Evasion moves are banned because the pro players can't handle a little luck. I would like to point out a few things for you:

What are critical hits?
How about moves that have a chance to burn/freeze/paralyze/poison?

Just because the 2 most luck based type of mvoes arent allowed because they make the game reflect more on dice rolls than actual player skill does not mean all luck is eliminated from the battles. There are elements in the game itself that contains luck like critical hits and status effects on mvoes.
#87Shadow_StarWolfPosted 7/29/2013 12:35:25 PM
Ahh Karen***

I'm glad Unova exists. It has an NPC that recognizes that some Pokemon ARE weak.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#88pokefan35Posted 7/31/2013 7:05:03 AM
Karen's opinion is just one opinion. That's the beauty about Pokemon and the world, it's full of insight - one way or the other - you might run into another character in the same game that says "My pokemon have been trained to be strong! Winning is what counts!"

I won't try to impose our world's morality on the fictional Pokemon universe, while PK seem to like battling, some seem to dislike it. Mostly due to the trainer.

I believe that conflict does indeed promote strength, so does predation, and I believe that Pokemon like to reach their potential, however it is interesting that their potential lies in their ability to fight for the most part. If they are as intelligent as implied, they strive for very very little as far as personal achievement goes.

If you fought battles with a Pokemon and lost all 10, my guess is that your like of that Pokemon would decrease...Should it?

It's hard to like losing. So doesn't that automatically start trickling your favorites pool into a subcategory of "viable" Pokemon?

I suppose the real question is, that with Pokemon as a video game - what is there to strive for competitively?

"I vow that in this video game universe, my digital representations of Pokemon characters will be the strongest digital representations possible within the implied rules of the game"

And every fight is a battle towards that.

Little insane. Perhaps the players should focus on having fun. I know players have fun winning. That is a common talking point for super competitive people. "OH WAT U LIKE LOSING? HOW U HAVE FUN LOSING?"

And yet while these people might feel the rush of victory as they crush an opponent, my guess is that mindset is filled with equal parts frustration and disappointment - every step of the way.

Feels like you could make a bro-chart of the bro-feelings that go behind competitive pokemon player / fighting games / anything really. Their emotions are predictable, and their OK with feeding into that competitive nature that organisms seem to have.

"I'm really good at Pokemon," what a phrase to be saying to anyone. It's laughable.
#89PinxedPosted 8/3/2013 4:42:58 PM
There is luck. I remember on Showdown I won a match because I my Weavile froze a Zapdos with Ice Punch, and allowed me to avoid ANOTHER roost.
---
Amazing Pikmin 3 CYOA
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633263-pikmin-3/65324351
#90YourLuckPosted 8/3/2013 4:49:45 PM
Why was this topic bumped again?
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune