This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Serebii might be the king of Pokemon sites, but it feels like a Geocities site.

#101cndrowPosted 7/29/2013 1:52:25 PM
Kapuxa posted...
smashman92 posted...
Duskull24 posted...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/succubii-1412/
#102kaiser ryuPosted 7/29/2013 2:05:47 PM(edited)
X_Ayumi_X posted...

Would you allow me to pick the theme of the page? I don't want to bright coloured page.
Also would I need to scan through 5 or 6 generations of move sets to find out which one I want for whichever game I'm playing?

It'd be far less scanning than current implementation. It'd be 5 pages worth of information, still on 5 pages, with a simpler search hierarchy and workflow.

Here, a basic mockup:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/Skyfire_Prime/serebiiwithtabs.png~original

What that does is remove the initial effort end users need when heading to the Pokedex. Instead of immediately being faced with five Pokedex options you see the one. Clicking "Pokedex" on the left intuitively leads the user to the next order of business, using a Pokedex to find a Pokemon. From there you are taken to the information end of this process where you find at a glance: the most current info on the Pokemon you chose and tabs clearly indicating more information on an as-need basis.

No information is actually lost or changed, it just simplifies the workflow.

As for color, by desaturated I meant what I said. Vibrant colors are for busy spaces and desaturated, low value areas are for rest. Generally when reading you don't need the added information of bright colors distracting from it. I don't personally mind themes. Choices are always nice. But it's always more work for whoever designs the site.

On Serebii, I have 2 quick ways.
RSE/Dex and then select Slowpoke and I get everything I want right there.
Search Slowpoke on the top and pick the address with "rs" in it.

Using this example in my implementation you'd go to the Pokedex, select Slowpoke then on the final page choose which generation. Or search "Slowpoke", go to the Slowpoke Pokedex page and click which tab was relevant to your interest. The major difference is just in where the information is consolidated vs the current spread over several pages.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#103fahademonPosted 7/29/2013 2:11:44 PM
Serebii's site is great and easy to navigate.The only reason I even go to Bulbapedia is the trivia.That reminds me,I also have a suggestion.Serebii should make a seperate page on trivia.
---
3DS FC:3222-6949-4801 | Tell me if you add me so I can add you back. :)
Waiting for:Jump Stars Victory Vs,Pokemon X/Y,Super Smash Bros(3DS).
#104Rogue MuttPosted 7/29/2013 2:35:21 PM
furforfun posted...
Does he care more about content quality than general aesthetics?

Shouldn't he care more about content quality? It just works so well.
---
Alakazam Arcanine Flygon Golduck Primeape Tyranitar
#105CakeOfLiesPosted 7/29/2013 2:37:48 PM
cndrow posted...
Kapuxa posted...
smashman92 posted...
Duskull24 posted...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#106X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/29/2013 2:59:14 PM
kaiser ryu posted...
X_Ayumi_X posted...

Would you allow me to pick the theme of the page? I don't want to bright coloured page.
Also would I need to scan through 5 or 6 generations of move sets to find out which one I want for whichever game I'm playing?

It'd be far less scanning than current implementation. It'd be 5 pages worth of information, still on 5 pages, with a simpler search hierarchy and workflow.

Here, a basic mockup:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/Skyfire_Prime/serebiiwithtabs.png~original

What that does is remove the initial effort end users need when heading to the Pokedex. Instead of immediately being faced with five Pokedex options you see the one. Clicking "Pokedex" on the left intuitively leads the user to the next order of business, using a Pokedex to find a Pokemon. From there you are taken to the information end of this process where you find at a glance: the most current info on the Pokemon you chose and tabs clearly indicating more information on an as-need basis.

As for color, by desaturated I meant what I said. Vibrant colors are for busy spaces and desaturated, low value areas are for rest. Generally when reading you don't need the added information of bright colors distracting from it. I don't personally mind themes. Choices are always nice. But it's always more work for whoever designs the site.

On Serebii, I have 2 quick ways.
RSE/Dex and then select Slowpoke and I get everything I want right there.
Search Slowpoke on the top and pick the address with "rs" in it.

Using this example in my implementation you'd go to the Pokedex, select Slowpoke then on the final page choose which generation. Or search "Slowpoke", go to the Slowpoke Pokedex page and click which tab was relevant to your interest. The major difference is just in where the information is consolidated vs the current spread over several pages.

For the mock-up, that I can easily agree with. Would be a bit easier to go through many Gens at once. Would be better than Serebiis and a billion times better than whatever Bulbapedia seems to be doing on theirs.
---
GT: Ayumi Spender || PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to. 3DS: 2921 9091 2567
#107Genius_SagePosted 7/29/2013 4:03:00 PM
Interface is a bit outdated, would be nice If a more simple responsive design was implemented, but his site is so popular at this point it doesn't matter anymore. He can get away with not moving it with current web trends. It might hinder growth in visitors over time but again he probably has enough regulars that it doesn't matter.
---
FC - 4639-8953-6150
#108Serebii from SPPPosted 7/29/2013 10:48:30 PM
Suiku posted...
I just got a question, serebii

Why you won't cover TCG like pokebeach does? I used to go to your site every day until I discovered pokebeach... Now I just check your site to be updated on the pokemon anime stuff

I cover it. I post when new sets are announced, I post the new sets etc. I'm just not going to post an update whenever a new card is shown.

Genius_Sage posted...
Interface is a bit outdated, would be nice If a more simple responsive design was implemented, but his site is so popular at this point it doesn't matter anymore. He can get away with not moving it with current web trends. It might hinder growth in visitors over time but again he probably has enough regulars that it doesn't matter.

Outdated it is relative. I'm not going to follow each internet fad such as the current design idea of large images, large text, all boxy, with AJAX to scroll through it. That is not a good design.

Simple designs will come back again, once people realise that the current standards of web design are actually hideous.
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#109Scott1187Posted 7/29/2013 10:53:41 PM
I had NO idea Serebii was this up himself. I never had a problem with Serebii himself, just his website, but now from what he's posted in this topic (and his signature) I'm really starting to grow a dislike of the man himself. His head is way up in the clouds.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1679-1616-3854
#110Serebii from SPPPosted 7/29/2013 11:07:18 PM(edited)
kaiser ryu posted...

Here, a basic mockup:

Well we technically already have that at the top below the drop down navigation :)

Scott1187 posted...
I had NO idea Serebii was this up himself. I never had a problem with Serebii himself, just his website, but now from what he's posted in this topic (and his signature) I'm really starting to grow a dislike of the man himself. His head is way up in the clouds.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I was trying to not be "up myself" in how my posts were conveyed as people have said I've been standoff-ish in the past. So, what makes you say that? Is it just because I'm stubborn?
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!