This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Judge the Fairy type

#21jnetheryPosted 7/29/2013 9:33:48 PM(edited)
Following up on jayman7's and my previous post:

According to the only leak we have with any credibility, it states the following regarding the Fairy type:

It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it

It makes no mention of any resistances outside the Dragon immunity. Ice is not mentioned at all.

Then we have Pokemon Smash, which seems to contradict at least some of this:

Smash implied that Fairy was strong against Ice. Whether that means super-effective or resistant is up for debate, but the way it was portrayed on Smash seemed to indicate it was super-effective since Sylveon broke a block of ice by karate chopping it.

Smash also implied that Fairy was weak against Fighting, since Sylveon got tossed in a drum by a muscular "fighter". This is also up for interpretation, more-so than the ice skit, in my opinion. It could have been implying that Fighting is super-effective against Fairy, but it could just as easily have been that Fighting is neutral against Fairy, but Fairy is not very effective against Fighting, which is why Sylveon lost the fight. In either case, however, this contradicts the information in the leak.

Smash and the leak agree, however, that Fairy is weak to Poison, and we know that Fairy is super-effective against Dragon.

Given the contradictions, I am holding out for official confirmation regarding how the Fairy type matches up against the others.
---
1: If you think your opinion is fact, then I will ignore you.
2: If you butcher the English language or abuse Netspeak, see #1.
#22jnetheryPosted 7/29/2013 9:48:33 PM
I think it is also worth noting that the leak was released back in February. It is possible that the type match-up changed between February and the airing of the Smash episode. Altering the type balances of a new type is something that you would expect to see happen even late into beta testing, whereas other things that were leaked related to characters, Pokemon types and designs, and new game mechanics would have been finalized (or nearly finalized) much earlier. I say this as someone who actually has development experience.
---
1: If you think your opinion is fact, then I will ignore you.
2: If you butcher the English language or abuse Netspeak, see #1.
#23jayman7Posted 7/30/2013 4:59:57 AM(edited)
I was told that the Smash segment was meant to show that Sylveon was bad at Fighting, meaning she wasn't a Fighting-type - not that she* was weak to it. Notice that she's not just going up against a muscular guy, she's going up against a muscular guy while holding nunchucks.

Also, keep in mind that she* didn't chop apart an Ice-type Pokemon, just a block of ice. Seems a relevant distinction to me.

* - Given the segment in question, anyone who questions my use of feminine pronoun gets smacked in the face with a trout.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#24JoJoX200Posted 7/30/2013 5:07:53 AM
I give it an 8. I like most of the current Fairy type designs.

As for what I expect from the type: So far, it looks like Fairy type will mostly(not always as Xerneas shows) pick up on the cliched 'Fairies are cute' concept. Which is fine by me as a type mainly consisting of cute pokemon gives me hope that cute pokemon won't automatically suck anymore in the future. I know there are exceptions like Blissey, but the trend is that cute pokemon are either unevolved or lacking in the stats department.
Of course I'd be even more happy if the type proves to be more than cutesy pokemon overtime, because that DOES seem a bit onedimensional.
#25bradvdPosted 7/30/2013 5:52:23 AM
Is it confirmed that it's vulnerable to steel poison and ice? Just asking :)
---
My 3DS friend code: 0361-6853-7933
Add me! :D
#26ColtCababaPosted 7/30/2013 5:56:47 AM
Nope, hate it.
---
"Off to never never-land..." - Metallica
http://t.qkme.me/3v7f04.jpg | http://dragcave.net/user/ColtCababa
#27deadpool848Posted 7/30/2013 6:55:03 AM
nickwarrior5 posted...
I dont like fairies for:
A: Too girly
B: SE against Dragons. It isnt logical (Dont bring up about fairy storys because I read plenty and the dragon wins)

A: Wait until they release some BA Fairy type, plus not all fairies in folklore are pink and girly, there are plenty of evil and mischevous ones, male ones too for that matter.

B: Yup, all those stories where the hero goes on a quest to get a "magic" sword to defeat a dragon. These swords btw are usually created by fairies or some other similar magical beings.
#28CakeOfLiesPosted 7/30/2013 6:59:26 AM
nickwarrior5 posted...
I dont like fairies for:
A: Too girly

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs36/PRE/f/2008/260/5/c/Anima__Dullaha_by_Wen_M.jpg
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#29paiprPosted 7/30/2013 7:46:16 AM
itll shine, maybe not 100% right out of the gate, but after the dust has settled and people look back they will see it as a gem i think.
---
dandelion + flabebe + fairy wind = saddest moment in pokemon.
3ds fc. jd, 0602-6823-9646 or 0146.9112.0071
#30DragonDeoxysPosted 8/1/2013 12:21:24 AM
nickwarrior5 posted...

B: SE against Dragons. It isnt logical (Dont bring up about fairy storys because I read plenty and the dragon wins)

Yeah, because everything else in the pokemon world makes logical sense according to the real world and other fictional work's standards.
---
Black FC: 4126 5167 3147
Black 2 FC: 0562 5475 2074