This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Grant the first openly gay character?..The one you've been waiting years for?

#101Skull_proPosted 8/2/2013 11:42:04 AM
If Grant is ''gay'', then what is this?

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/6/68/Emerald_Dome_Ace_Tucker.png/444px-Emerald_Dome_Ace_Tucker.png
---
Live like a windrammer as you **** while seeing futures in balls-Whoever wrote to AVGN
3DS FC: 4339-2730-2396
#102NewMoonShadowPosted 8/2/2013 11:44:35 AM(edited)
DrakoVongola1 posted...
Masajub posted...
I don't think people realise how offensive it is to say to gay people that the relationships they enter are inappropriate for children to be exposed to. You can use the word "sexuality" to make it sound too adult but the truth is that letting a child know that there are men in the world who fall in love with men, and women with women, is not any more sexually-driven then telling them that their mum and dad are in love.

And of course for any 9-10 years olds who turn out to be gay themselves when they reach puberty, its going to be much easier to get their head around it if they have seen other people and characters like themselves. Rather then feeling like they're alone and weird.

It wouldn't matter if they did introduce a gay character anyway, as the localisation team would remove any references to it, which is the most offensive aspect of it all.

Why would the localization team remove it?

Because American parents would throw a hissy-fit. Hell "parental-rights" groups have threatened to boycott any company who portrays gays in a positive light. Even so much as putting a Gay-positive advertisement in a Gay-lifestyle Magazine (designed for Gay people) has brought about threats of boycott.

Yeah, Masajub is 100% correct. The whole "they can't portray sexuality!" bull**** argument is just that, bull****. Nobody cries about straight married couples or straight dating couples because they recognize that intimate relationships like that aren't inherently sexual to portray, it's only if the couple is Gay that the whole thing is immediately labelled as "sexually charged" as an excuse to argue for why it shouldn't be allowed without simply coming out and exposing yourself as a homophobic **********.

People who are anti-Gay find excuses to sound rational but at the end of the day, you're still homophobic and you're still arguing that the portrayal, and acceptance, of homosexual relationships is inherently negative in some way. That is 100% what you are doing, and I don't care what excuse you've come up with to try to sound like you're being rational and logical, there is nothing rational about it unless you're operating under the immediate assumption that there's something wrong with homosexuality as a concept.
#103stfn12345Posted 8/2/2013 11:49:25 AM
NewMoonShadow posted...
DrakoVongola1 posted...
Masajub posted...
I don't think people realise how offensive it is to say to gay people that the relationships they enter are inappropriate for children to be exposed to. You can use the word "sexuality" to make it sound too adult but the truth is that letting a child know that there are men in the world who fall in love with men, and women with women, is not any more sexually-driven then telling them that their mum and dad are in love.

And of course for any 9-10 years olds who turn out to be gay themselves when they reach puberty, its going to be much easier to get their head around it if they have seen other people and characters like themselves. Rather then feeling like they're alone and weird.

It wouldn't matter if they did introduce a gay character anyway, as the localisation team would remove any references to it, which is the most offensive aspect of it all.

Because American parents would throw a hissy-fit. Hell "parental-rights" groups have threatened to boycott any company who portrays gays in a positive light. Even so much as putting a Gay-positive advertisement in a Gay-lifestyle Magazine (designed for Gay people) has brought about threats of boycott.

To be fair, those crazies are mostly the same crazies who are already boycotting Pokemon for it's demonic nature. I don't think there'd be that much of a backlash, in all honesty. The world is a lot more accepting now than it was even just a year or two ago.
#104DrakoVongola1Posted 8/2/2013 12:15:25 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
DrakoVongola1 posted...
Masajub posted...

But nobody gives a f*** about those idiots. They're most likely the same people boycotting the series because Pokemon are demons or some s*** anyway.
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#105Swampert27Posted 8/2/2013 12:19:10 PM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
DrakoVongola1 posted...
Masajub posted...

But nobody gives a f*** about those idiots. They're most likely the same people boycotting the series because Pokemon are demons or some s*** anyway.

Agreed, sweetie.
#106fahademonPosted 8/2/2013 12:25:32 PM
I will never understand why topics that have "gay" or "homosexuality" in the title always go past 100 posts.
---
3DS FC:3222-6949-4801 | Tell me if you add me so I can add you back. :)
Go here for Pokemon X/Y info:http://www.pokemonxystuff.wordpress.com
#107DrakoVongola1Posted 8/2/2013 12:28:40 PM
fahademon posted...
I will never understand why topics that have "gay" or "homosexuality" in the title always go past 100 posts.

Because someone usually says something stupid/homophobic and then it all descends into chaos from there.
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#108YourLuckPosted 8/2/2013 12:37:33 PM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
fahademon posted...

Because someone usually says something stupid/homophobic and then it all descends into chaos from there.

Agreed. People like to post in controversial topics. You should have been on the Heart Gold boards when someone claimed GF wasn't going to include the Kanto region. So much lolz were had during those weeks.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#109lordofpalkiaPosted 8/2/2013 12:41:46 PM
Skull_pro posted...
If Grant is ''gay'', then what is this?

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/6/68/Emerald_Dome_Ace_Tucker.png/444px-Emerald_Dome_Ace_Tucker.png

That's Tucker... I don't think we need any other words for him.
---
Official Galactic Commander of the Pokemon X Board.
Black FC: 4814-5831-1521 Name: Magna
#110anglish_muffinPosted 8/3/2013 9:37:40 AM
I just assume all the main male characters and the rivals are hot for each other, there's no evidence that they're straight as far as I know, so you can just use your imagination. But I guess it would be cool if there was one that was openly gay.