This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Grant the first openly gay character?..The one you've been waiting years for?

#121DrakoVongola1Posted 8/4/2013 7:41:47 PM
RageKaiser posted...
Y'know what we gay people just love?

being treated as different and having topics constantly made about us and then seeing people fight about us.

It's true, we just love it :D
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#122CyD13Posted 8/4/2013 8:49:39 PM
There are some people in this topic that make me extraordinarily happy, and a lot of people in this topic which make me hate the world.

Guess which is which.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#123LexifoxPosted 8/4/2013 9:08:18 PM
ZTIger5 posted...
Like in Mass Effect 3 for example, Cortez was a interesting guy that was fun to talk to sometimes. My only problem with him was his entire character revolving around his dead husband. Yeah, grieve him all you want, he was someone important to you. But when almost all of your interactions are related to how much you miss your husband, it's like getting hit by a rainbow-colored brick wall (that's not the sort of character I'd want to see from anyone, straight or gay). My point is, it's something that should be taken in moderation.

Well, I think I ranted long enough, especially since I got a little off-topic. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone, though I find that doubtful given how sensitive the topic is.

What you have is not a character who is "bad" because he was gay. What you have is a bad character because he is flat and revolves around a single aspect. This has nothing to do with his being gay, it has to do with him being a flat character.

NewMoonShadow posted...
Because American parents would throw a hissy-fit. Hell "parental-rights" groups have threatened to boycott any company who portrays gays in a positive light. Even so much as putting a Gay-positive advertisement in a Gay-lifestyle Magazine (designed for Gay people) has brought about threats of boycott.

Yeah, Masajub is 100% correct. The whole "they can't portray sexuality!" bull**** argument is just that, bull****. Nobody cries about straight married couples or straight dating couples because they recognize that intimate relationships like that aren't inherently sexual to portray, it's only if the couple is Gay that the whole thing is immediately labelled as "sexually charged" as an excuse to argue for why it shouldn't be allowed without simply coming out and exposing yourself as a homophobic **********.

People who are anti-Gay find excuses to sound rational but at the end of the day, you're still homophobic and you're still arguing that the portrayal, and acceptance, of homosexual relationships is inherently negative in some way. That is 100% what you are doing, and I don't care what excuse you've come up with to try to sound like you're being rational and logical, there is nothing rational about it unless you're operating under the immediate assumption that there's something wrong with homosexuality as a concept.

1. Those parents are also against Pokemon because there's "unholy" aspects, gambling, alleged racism, "pagan" aspects, etc.

2. Those boycotts tend to amount to nothing. Can you find a single business that was actually harmed or impacted by anti-gay protests?

DipperPines posted...
There will never be an openly gay character in anything Pokemon, in our lifetime. It just won't happen.

Correct, except for the gay characters that are already in the game.

RageKaiser posted...

being treated as different and having topics constantly made about us and then seeing people fight about us.

I would have guessed "people of the same sex".
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#124MegaWentEvilPosted 8/4/2013 9:22:41 PM
By the way, there's a Brazilian soap opera called "Amor Ó Vida"(Translates more or less to Valuing Life) where one of the villains is gay. He's called Felix, he used to be in the closet and was outed by his "wife" when she caught him cheating.

And he was in a straight relationship cause his father CÚsar is homophobic and Felix didn't want him to find out. Felix's drama about people finding out his real preferences was done in a pretty sympathetic way, though.
#125sonicfanaticjtbPosted 8/4/2013 11:54:21 PM
Lexifox posted...

RageKaiser posted...

You're good. :)
---
"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"
"I don't give a damn what other people think. What do ya think about that?"
#126Swampert27Posted 8/5/2013 12:02:05 AM
sonicfanaticjtb posted...
Lexifox posted...

RageKaiser posted...

You're good. :)

): no
#127sonicfanaticjtbPosted 8/5/2013 12:22:13 AM
Swampert27 posted...

): no

Yes.
---
"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"
"I don't give a damn what other people think. What do ya think about that?"
#128Swampert27Posted 8/5/2013 12:25:12 AM
sonicfanaticjtb posted...
Swampert27 posted...