This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's not "food" pokemon that are the problem,

#21l33t_iRk3n_Rm33Posted 8/3/2013 9:29:02 AM(edited)
jneal57 posted...
SirPikachu posted...
Bump. I want more people to see this so everyone will shut up about food.

but i like food...makes me full.

personally i like the food Pokemon.
but the day they make an ATM Pokemon...i am out

New Rotom form?
---
You think I'm stupid for liking Nintendo? You're the one who thinks that "just for little kids" starts with an E.
http://i.imgur.com/QiEb7.jpg
#22SakurafanboyPosted 8/3/2013 10:56:17 AM
Toaster Strudel Pokemon. make it a thing.
---
Team Gracidea - We live to love!
Proud fan of all that is Shaymin! (Official Riku of KHIII board)
#23Umbrella_Man99Posted 8/3/2013 11:12:02 AM
Mephsuit posted...
The bigger problem is the implication that spontaneously any random pile of crap can just come to life and be a Pokemon.

This is literally what Grimer is...
---
A consumer is entitled to all of the game content that was finished before release.- Actual quote justifying/vilifying DLC "Greed"
#24MephsuitPosted 8/3/2013 11:22:29 AM
Grimer has a liquid, slimy body, but its not a literal pile of inanimate object come to life. I feel for the terrified Unova citizen who went to take out the garbage one day only to have the garbage bag shriek in pain when grabbed.
---
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST
#25DarkHeroRavenPosted 8/3/2013 12:16:39 PM
Jaricko posted...
I stopped looking at pokemon seriously a long time ago. Now i just find it funny when these pokemon exist. Especially the rotom forms. Go washing machine! Use hydro pump!

Oh noz! you defeated my washing machine, now how will i have clean clothes. You will pay for that...
Go oven! Cook my enemies!

This

I find silly designs funny rather than infuriating

Y'all need to lighten up. Anger is bad for your health

My friend has a Rotom-W called "cheap brands" on Showdown and I just giggle at it because it's silly, not get angry

even when it's kicking my ass (which it does a lot)
---
http://backloggery.com/RavenTheObsidian
#26Kagayaku08Posted 8/3/2013 1:37:32 PM
Mephsuit posted...
The bigger problem is the implication that spontaneously any random pile of crap can just come to life and be a Pokemon.

this is exactly whats described for Claydol's pokedex entry. Baltoy and Claydol basically mud dolls at first and came to life through some cray cray light.

same could be said of grimer. It was just pollution in a stream that came to life from moonlight.

when you consider there are ghost and psychic pokemon around, possession isn't much of a problem.
---
nobody owes you anything but a roll of the eye, a kick in the ass, and gaffaw at how much you suck
#27MephsuitPosted 8/3/2013 2:06:34 PM
Just makes it weird. Then you can have the nonsensical Pokemon... just make like a house Pokemon. It's a giant house but it's a Pokemon. Just give it Magic Room, Trick Room, Imprison and ****. Done. Making Pokemon is EASY. Painting of an ocean Pokemon, BOOM. Water and Dark type. There's no tar Pokemon yet, Dark and Rock, BOOM. Put me in the game coach, I'm ready!
---
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST
#28Kagayaku08Posted 8/3/2013 2:12:48 PM
Mephsuit posted...
Just makes it weird. Then you can have the nonsensical Pokemon... just make like a house Pokemon. It's a giant house but it's a Pokemon. Just give it Magic Room, Trick Room, Imprison and ****. Done. Making Pokemon is EASY. Painting of an ocean Pokemon, BOOM. Water and Dark type. There's no tar Pokemon yet, Dark and Rock, BOOM. Put me in the game coach, I'm ready!

I'm just saying. Some pokemon were actually in animate objects one day then the next day they were alive. Many cases don't even involve magic.

I just smile and nod and roll with it.
---
nobody owes you anything but a roll of the eye, a kick in the ass, and gaffaw at how much you suck
#29kaiser ryuPosted 8/3/2013 3:15:14 PM
I think its the complexity of the shapes involved and where my personal grounded/surreal line lies that can make or break food pokes for me honestly. The more information included on a Pokemon's design the less the player's mind can fill in gaps on its own and that does a lot to hamper people's ability to rationalize the design for themselves. On top of that Pokemon has always skirted close to the line separating grounded and surreal design. We all have perspectives that differ enough to make it next to impossible to agree on where that line lies, even using the original game as precedent. Some will always see an egg-plant hybrid pun Pokemon as over the line to surreal where others won't, instead finding the line crossed later with ice cream.

And that takes me back to the details issue. Implementation does a lot for my initial reaction to seeing these Pokes. With Exeggcute and Exeggutor there's minor plausibility given the precedent set by there being living plants as grass type, the simple egg shape actually appearing naturally in plants in real life, and the notion of those plants growing a stalk together just isn't that much of a stretch of the imagination. Conversely, the vanilla ice cream line has a lot of complex shapes and the thought of an animal copying ice cream just feels too far pushed from what felt like the original rules of the Pokemon universe (with people being absolutely surprised by some animals being spherical and colored similarly to simple common objects it's amazing that elsewhere in the world floating ice cream aint no thang.). Another comparison is Muk vs Garbodor, the latter just having too much detail to feel right. It stops looking like an animal with details similar to garbage and more just a bag of garbage with a mouth. Where with Muk and it's simpler design it's easier to imagine it as an animal with a slimy exterior or whatever you need to get around it's odd design.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#30AzurinaiPosted 8/3/2013 3:44:56 PM
kaiser ryu posted...
Snip

I was following you until you said animals.

Pocket Monsters are not Pocket Animals, they don't need a proper sensical body to function. Once you realize that anything can either be possessed or aquire a will of its own through some fluke of the universe, anything starts to be acceptable.
Heck, I like to think of the food pokemon being things created from the thoughts of people made real by powerful psychics which is then given form.
Nothing bothers me in terms of design because I can rationalize anything and I know that pokemon don't have to be have "animals" or living breathing entities.
---
This post has a +1 to topic killing, +3 vs Trolls and other regenerating entities.
NNID- Azurus MHU- Raiss Team Noir: Ninetales