This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Competitive pokemon is a joke because of how luck based it is

#1R__TruthPosted 8/3/2013 7:24:40 AM
no matter what you do, you're gonna get critical hit. you're gonna get paralyzed from a thunderbolt, you're gonna get frozen from an ice beam, you're gonna miss when you need to hit a move badly, you're gonna sleep too long when you're asleep and when you use sleep, your opponent will wake up too early.

there's just too much luck involved for it to be considered a legit competitive game outside of smogon.
---
3DS FC - 3050-8064-0629
#2EdwardDarkstarPosted 8/3/2013 7:29:18 AM
-_- I sense a troll.
---
Pokemon...
Water ftw! Samurott ftw!
#3Obeyy00Posted 8/3/2013 7:30:05 AM
EdwardDarkstar posted...
-_- I sense a troll.

it's not trolling when he has a point
#4R__Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 7:32:10 AM
EdwardDarkstar posted...
-_- I sense a troll.

im not trying to troll. Think about it this way: Critical hits happen so much that it's not a matter of which battles have crits, it's a matter of which battles have crits that matter. What serious competitive games include someone's move randomly doing double damage at least 3 times a battle?
---
3DS FC - 3050-8064-0629
#5YourLuckPosted 8/3/2013 7:33:47 AM
R__Truth posted...
no matter what you do, you're gonna get critical hit. you're gonna get paralyzed from a thunderbolt, you're gonna get frozen from an ice beam, you're gonna miss when you need to hit a move badly, you're gonna sleep too long when you're asleep and when you use sleep, your opponent will wake up too early.

there's just too much luck involved for it to be considered a legit competitive game outside of smogon.

And? The battle moves on.

You have a point, but it's not like status effects and critical hits are 100%. Yes, they'll happen against you. But you'll get them too.

Just lose the match and move on. Chances are, you'll have the same luck in the next match, unless you're just horrendously bad.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#6feeltheninjutsuPosted 8/3/2013 7:34:22 AM
Everything has luck, even real sports. A basketball player that shoots 40% from the three point line could shoot absurdly well one game and then awful the next game, even if he's taking the exact same shots from the same places on the court. The solution is to play best of 7s or more. Bigger samples reduce variation.
---
"Not everything is a lesson. Sometimes you just fail." - Dwight Schrute
"I don't get high, life keeps me at a decent height." -Lupe Fiasco
#7Obeyy00Posted 8/3/2013 7:37:24 AM
anything that hits that isn't 100% accurate is luck.
#8DutchKrakenPosted 8/3/2013 7:37:31 AM
If critical hits are such a problem, you might want to consider using the move Lucky Chant or use Pokémon with abilities such as Battle/Shell Armor.

I mean jeez, it's not like these options are completely unavailable for you to use ya know.

And while it is true that it FEELS as if the RNG is stacking against you all the time, that's only because you keep score on how many times it affects you negatively, instead of focusing on the times it affected you positively.

A good team can still beat a bad team, even if the good team has like the whole bad-luck aspect of them all.
---
X360: QuakeNLD - Steam: kraken.nld
Currently playing: Borderlands 2 (PC) - Waiting: Watchdogs (PS4), Pokemon X/Y (3DS)
#9R__Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 7:37:45 AM
feeltheninjitsu posted...
Everything has luck, even real sports. A basketball player that shoots 40% from the three point line could shoot absurdly well one game and then awful the next game, even if he's taking the exact same shots from the same places on the court. The solution is to play best of 7s or more. Bigger samples reduce variation.

Don't even try to compare luck in real sports to luck that's decided by RNG, please.
---
3DS FC - 3050-8064-0629
#10DragonNinja1337Posted 8/3/2013 7:49:19 AM
R__Truth speaks the absolute truth.
---
The Ultimate Pokemon Master to have ever walked beneath the stars