This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Competitive pokemon is a joke because of how luck based it is

#11YourLuckPosted 8/3/2013 7:51:44 AM
R__Truth posted...
feeltheninjitsu posted...
Everything has luck, even real sports. A basketball player that shoots 40% from the three point line could shoot absurdly well one game and then awful the next game, even if he's taking the exact same shots from the same places on the court. The solution is to play best of 7s or more. Bigger samples reduce variation.

Don't even try to compare luck in real sports to luck that's decided by RNG, please.

At least it's not Fire Emblems RNG. Then everyone will be complaining.

It seems the only people who complain about playing pokemon competitively just do it because they dislike Smogon. TC, do you feel this way too?
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#12R__Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 8:04:45 AM
YourLuck posted...
R__Truth posted...
feeltheninjitsu posted...
Everything has luck, even real sports. A basketball player that shoots 40% from the three point line could shoot absurdly well one game and then awful the next game, even if he's taking the exact same shots from the same places on the court. The solution is to play best of 7s or more. Bigger samples reduce variation.

Don't even try to compare luck in real sports to luck that's decided by RNG, please.

It seems the only people who complain about playing pokemon competitively just do it because they dislike Smogon. TC, do you feel this way too?

i don't hate smogon, i dislike the community though.

I just added the Smogon bit because outside of it's userbase, you don't see pokemon getting any recognition as a competitive game.
---
3DS FC - 3050-8064-0629
#13scraadinPosted 8/3/2013 8:13:51 AM
Because any half decent battler will plan around the critical hits they know are coming their way. It's not like you weren't warned.
---
The answer to "Why not?" is always Wobbuffet.
#14RTC3Posted 8/3/2013 8:59:48 AM
it's true that luck plays a huge part in comp. pokemon. that doesn't make it a joke tho. in fact i have to applaud smogon and co. for taking comp. pokemon this far despite the huge presence of luck
---
Lakers. Black Mamba. Steve Ca$h. "Boom boom" Pau Gasol "Train." Ryan "Dirk 2.0" Kelly. we. already. won.
#15RTC3Posted 8/3/2013 9:03:31 AM
competitive pokemon isn't ideal due to luck but it's still quite popular due to great accessibility (esp with showdown around now) and the metagame doesn't stagnate because the tiers are always changing. it's still very successful because the pros greatly outweigh the cons
---
Lakers. Black Mamba. Steve Ca$h. "Boom boom" Pau Gasol "Train." Ryan "Dirk 2.0" Kelly. we. already. won.
#16RTC3Posted 8/3/2013 9:05:35 AM
R__Truth posted...
I just added the Smogon bit because outside of it's userbase, you don't see pokemon getting any recognition as a competitive game.

i guess those nintendo-sanctioned battling events don't exist then
---
#17pryceoflifePosted 8/3/2013 9:09:27 AM
Don't try to talk down about competitive battling. You will not hear the end of it.
---
OddBen
my GE fc: 0591-8749-1362
#18SorceressTharjaPosted 8/3/2013 9:10:26 AM
YourLuck posted...

It would have been nice if the %s hit rolls in Awakening were actually correct... Something Pokemon's is.

Then we have the old RNGs where you already knew what the seed was, if you cared to look so you could predict it perfectly.

(To explain, hit rolls in FE:Awakening roll twice, then take an average - causing the output to be biased towards the middle. High chances got higher and low chances lower.)
#19Sad_FacePosted 8/3/2013 10:08:08 AM
I don't mind the luck aspect of Pokemon. Pokemon makes it work by giving you loads of options in how much control you have over it. That way, if you are going up against an opponent who's blatantly worse than you in terms of skill, 9 times out of 10, luck won't hold you back from winning.
#20UmuruPosted 8/3/2013 10:25:46 AM
Pokemon was made to have that random element. Competitive battlers that want things to go a certain way just have to adapt.