This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The original Mewtwo was a horrible, overrated Pokemon.

#1RATCHETnQUARKPosted 8/3/2013 8:36:30 AM
No i am not trolling, this is merely my opinion. People only liked Mewtwo back in the day because it was the only legendary obtainable in the game besides the trio. His design is really awkward and is a tribute to a dumb archetype of experimenting on living things due to human greed. It took this dumb cliche from anime and put it into the video game world.
Mewtwo is the "alternate form" of mew. How can you be opposed to this new mewtwo form when mewtwo himself is alternate form of a pokemon? Go protest mewtwo itself. The new mewtwo looks way cooler.

Also this new mewtwo is smaller and supposedly faster, which means he probably won't suck if it is in the next smash brothers game. Thank Gamefreak, this new mewtwo is better than the original in every way.
#2SirPikachuPosted 8/3/2013 8:47:57 AM
The real Mewtwo looks awesome. I still think he looks awesome.
---
gat mi swaeg ohn, aint ekven gun tuch meh.
#3McTCMPosted 8/3/2013 8:49:36 AM
While I get the point you are making.

Mewtwo is and always will be a baddass.
---
~Pokemon~
FC:2537 8652 0098
#4GBeastMegamanBXPosted 8/3/2013 8:53:50 AM
1. The games came before the anime

2. Mewtwo was an embryo of Mew that experimented on, so it isn't "alternative forme" as Mew cannot assume it.

3. Most people don't like Mewtwo's form change because it took 5 gens later for it to happen and they just aren't fond of its design.
---
"I noticed your beautiful hair right away" - Minato to Kushina
#5NumberXIPosted 8/3/2013 8:56:21 AM
Mewtwo was a clone of Mew. And game wise Mew came after Mewtwo what with it being secretive and all. And technically your still praising the same Pokemon. New form, same being. So yeah thank you Gamefreak for making an awesome Pokemon more awesome.
#6EnferolunosPosted 8/3/2013 8:57:33 AM
Mewtwo is impossible to evaluate objectively, as there's so much nostalgia wrapped up in him
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFXV, KHIII
Don't start unbelieving! Never do not feel your feelings!
#7BitterThanHellPosted 8/3/2013 9:01:55 AM
The new form doesn't look too bad... I agree that we got it way too late, but form changes were introduced in gen IV anyway. I'm interested in its stats spread: I have the feeling that it's going to sacrifice Special Attack for Speed.
#8GBeastMegamanBXPosted 8/3/2013 9:03:20 AM
NumberXI posted...
Mewtwo was a clone of Mew. And game wise Mew came after Mewtwo what with it being secretive and all. And technically your still praising the same Pokemon. New form, same being. So yeah thank you Gamefreak for making an awesome Pokemon more awesome.

In the anime, Mewtwo is a clone, in the games Mew gave birth to Mewtwo and it was experimented on.
---
"I noticed your beautiful hair right away" - Minato to Kushina
#9GalladetheGreatPosted 8/3/2013 9:04:15 AM
That's your opinion. My opinion, which reflects the majority of the board tbh, is that it's great.
---
Don't get mad, get gllad.
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/404951/chocula_medium.jpg
#10FuzzyJelloPosted 8/3/2013 9:25:13 AM(edited)
I can't really consider his backstory dumb (having actually read Frankenstein earlier this year, for one, it's NOT just an anime thing by any stretch of the imagination and I don't know where you got the idea) when he is succeeded by planet-guiding spirits/deities, which is even worse if your pointing out contrivances. If anything, it also makes him unique- a man-made demigod against a background of deities. But opinions all.

But that only makes the new form's looking more like Mew more interesting, a clone designed to be distinct from its genetic source changing to look more like it, I'm looking forward to the game's explanation of it. I've grown to appreciate the slimmer proportions Mewtwo's taken on recently too, the original's fat lower body and tail versus tiny limbs was more imposing but off-balance, though I can't get over HGSS's sprite.

Enferolunos posted...
Mewtwo is impossible to evaluate objectively, as there's so much nostalgia wrapped up in him

That much is true, though, particularly if the new form or proportions don't sit well with you. Still not big on the new form, myself. But then I'm liking Gen 6's Pokemon a lot more than I ended up like Gen V's, so I don't know what that makes me.