This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else love Poison types despite how ineffective they are?

#1Lord_VishanaPosted 8/3/2013 11:20:33 AM
This might sound kinda strange, but they are my favorite type. I fully realize that they are generally considered the worst type due to the weakness and effectiveness, but I cannot help but to be drawn to them.

While they're neither viable for main game or competitive play, they make for a fun self-imposed challenge.

I'm really hoping that we'll see a drastic enhancement to the entire type. Supposedly, poison is super effective against Fairy. While it's a nice start, it should be super effective against water as well. There's been much debate on wether it should be super effective against steel as well. Since certain types of acid are highly corrosive and can cause metal deteriorate, I can see some logic in that.

I've thought of a couple ideas that might benefit poison types in this and future generations.

- Poison types should regen their health when poisoned. Let's say they can regen 10% of their maximum health while poisoned.

- A new attack called Acid Rain. This is a passive effect that happens at the start of every turn. It heals Poison pokemon by 15%(of it's max hp) every turn and inflicts 15% damage(of it's max hp) on all non poison pokemon.

- Passive skill on all poison pokemon called Virulence. It drastically enhances the poison status ailment effectiveness. It causes a pokemon to lose 25% of it's max hp every turn.

What do you think? :-)

Lastly, we need more poison pokemon in general. I'm hopeful Litleo evolves into a Fire/Poison manticore. A Poison legendary or pseudo legendary would be amazing. Poison/Steel or Poison/Electric would be perfect.
---
Cuteness Overload! http://i.imgur.com/gw03gl7.png No Justice! No Peace! 3DS FC: 3394-3716-0128 Vita PSN: Queen_Sialeeds
#2Faust_8Posted 8/3/2013 11:26:38 AM
Ice is the worst type to be. Poison is far better. Poison types resist Fighting, Grass, and Bug, can't be poisoned, and can lay/absorb Toxic Spikes. Ice resists nothing but itself and has terrible weaknesses.

It's Poison ATTACKS that are bad right now, but simply being Poison isn't a ticket to lower tiers. There are about 10 Poison types combined in UU and OU right now I think.

Really what killed their popularity is that EVERYTHING learns Toxic. If Poison moves were more exclusive they'd be used more. But yeah I'd appreciate them getting some sort of boost since I don't think they can just yank the Toxic TM away from nearly all Pokemon. The Acid Rain "weather" is pretty cool and I think you could add that the chance of Poison attacks inflicting the poisoned status during Acid Rain should double. Added to Fairy being weak to it and that's a rather nice buff.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#3FuzzyJelloPosted 8/3/2013 11:33:15 AM(edited)
Well, Grass is my favorite type, and it's not too hot, so I kind of know the feeling. And it's not like Poison doesn't have anything, particularly if you're liberal with dual types; Muk, Weezing, Gengar, Crobat, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Venusaur, Venomoth and Tentacruel aren't a bad lot. It's just a shame about Arbok, Swalot, Beedrill, and Seviper.

- Poison types should regen their health when poisoned. Let's say they can regen 10% of their maximum health while poisoned.

Black Sludge kind of does this already, with the same reasoning.

- A new attack called Acid Rain. This is a passive effect that happens at the start of every turn. It heals Poison pokemon by 15%(of it's max hp) every turn and inflicts 15% damage(of it's max hp) on all non poison pokemon.

As far as an emergency buff goes, this isn't bad, presuming it's corrosive to steel and thus steel types can't just wait it out. The question, though, is if it would be a weather effect or not. Physically, it could co-exist with rain (because real-life acid rain happens in normal rain) and hail (because rain and hail often happen at the same time), at least.

- Passive skill on all poison pokemon called Virulence. It drastically enhances the poison status ailment effectiveness. It causes a pokemon to lose 25% of it's max hp every turn.

I think Toxic is bad enough; this goes from emergency buffing to something that should have a cost that doesn't, unless being poison type can be considered a cost in of itself.
#4Lord_Vishana(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 11:32:55 AM
Faust_8 posted...
Ice is the worst type to be. Poison is far better. Poison types resist Fighting, Grass, and Bug, can't be poisoned, and can lay/absorb Toxic Spikes. Ice resists nothing but itself and has terrible weaknesses.

It's Poison ATTACKS that are bad right now, but simply being Poison isn't a ticket to lower tiers. There are about 10 Poison types combined in UU and OU right now I think.

Really what killed their popularity is that EVERYTHING learns Toxic. If Poison moves were more exclusive they'd be used more. But yeah I'd appreciate them getting some sort of boost since I don't think they can just yank the Toxic TM away from nearly all Pokemon. The Acid Rain "weather" is pretty cool and I think you could add that the chance of Poison attacks inflicting the poisoned status during Acid Rain should double. Added to Fairy being weak to it and that's a rather nice buff.

That's true. Ice is pretty weak as well unfortunately. :-(

I'm just super partial to them for some reason. You're entirely correct about the lack of diversity in poison type moves. Perhaps they'll retroactively change Toxic so only Poison types can learn it in this or future generations.
---
Cuteness Overload! http://i.imgur.com/gw03gl7.png No Justice! No Peace! 3DS FC: 3394-3716-0128 Vita PSN: Queen_Sialeeds
#5bobstevens23123Posted 8/3/2013 11:37:40 AM
Faust_8 posted...

this and i also second an ice and grass buff
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/66777096
#6Faust_8Posted 8/3/2013 11:53:33 AM
I've always thought Grass was ok enough.

Yeah, a bunch of things resist it and it has a bunch of weaknesses (one is Poison though so that's been a non-issue). However they resist Ground and Water which is amazing and they have very good attacks like Leech Seed and Giga Drain. Petal Dance is now a special-based Grass version of Outrage, and Solarbeam is a no-drawback 120 base power move in the sun. And they have things like Chlorophyll for sun teams, and many have access to Synthesis (also boosted in the sun) while lots of other non-Grass Pokemon would kill for reliable recovery.

So while I know Grass if far from a top-tier type, it's not so bad that I think it needs a buff either. Or alternatively, I don't know how one would buff it besides just changing the type chart (however its weaknesses/resistances make sense...)

Poison and Ice need more attention than Grass I think. And perhaps Bug.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#7wheeling_gamerPosted 8/3/2013 11:56:52 AM
I like most of them for aesthetic reasons, but it doesn't change the fact that they're horrible right now. I'm also doing a type challenge with them in HG, and some of them aren't half bad (Arbok, Tentacool) while some are downright terrors (Gengar).
---
You know you read too much when you dream about flying books.
#8FuzzyJelloPosted 8/3/2013 12:12:53 PM
I wasn't implying Grass needed to be buffed, it's been basically getting buffed every generation anyway, just that they're another type that's oft-maligned because they've been oft-maligned for so long.
#9QuaguamanPosted 8/3/2013 12:30:54 PM
poison needs buffs but its not a bad type.
If toxic wasn't learned by everything and it hit 1 or 2 more types for se dmg it would be a lot better.
---
(0)_(0)
#10ZarthimusPrimePosted 8/3/2013 12:54:45 PM
Some of my favorites are part Poison.

Gengar, Nidoking, Venusaur, and Crobat to name a few.
---
Black FC: 3740 9039 0091
Black 2 FC: 5158 1020 6482