This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bad OUmons you shouldn't use: Jolteon

#1kaonohiokalaPosted 8/4/2013 5:36:53 PM(edited)
There are a lot of new battlers here on this board. A lot of them embrace the entire "every mon has a use in OU" idea, which in general just doesn't work for anyone who experienced a modicum of success in battling. Even though certain meh mons do have a niche in OU, it's quite simply not optimal to use them in a top-level of competitive battling. You may get by defeating lower-level players while using these mons, but in higher-level competitive cases, they end up being a waste of space or are just outclassed by better options. And so, the first mon I'll be covering is....

JOLTEON
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/243/a/8/lol_jolteon_i__m_bored__by_glaceontwo-d48eojj.png

Primary ability: Volt Absorb

HP: 65
Attack: 65
Defense: 60
Sp Atk: 110
Sp Def: 95
Speed: 130

Notable moves: Thunderbolt, Thunder, Volt Switch, Hidden Power, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Baton Pass, Substitute, Charge Beam

Current 1850 vs. Standard Differential: -3.31064% (2nd worst in OU overall)

PROS:
+Very fast (130 base speed)
+Decent ability providing Electric immunity
+Able to scout with Volt Switch or Baton Pass

Why you shouldn't use it:
1. Terrible defensive stats (65/60/95). This means it's often OHKO'd by unresisted attacks in this offensive metagame. Even resisted, Scizor's Bullet Punch 2HKOs Jolteon.
2. Terrible defensive typing. Not including Jolteon, you don't see any pure Electric-types in OU for a reason. While Electric-type may only have one weakness (a common Ground weakness), pure Electric is not great defensively. Only resisting Electric, Flying, and Steel paired with Jolteon's bad defenses means it's a liability when trying to find a switch-in for an opposing Pokemon. While Volt Absorb does great in helping Jolteon in this, one wrong move or prediction means dead Jolteon
3. Poor offensive coverage. While a STAB Electric-type attack is always useful in OU, Jolteon doesn't have much else going for it. The coverage moves it relies on are all low-powered and Jolteon's 110 base special attack doesn't cut it. Hidden Power is great if you can hit for a 4x weakness, but that's about it and the best option, HP-Ice, is generally predictable. Jolteon ends up getting walled by a lot of things that resist its Electric STAB or are just great defensively... and you'll normally find at least 2 of these on any decent OU team.
4. Susceptibility to residual damage. As if its poor defenses weren't enough, Jolteon also takes full damage from entry hazards and weather. This is a problem for a mon that is primarily used as a hit-and-run striker, and means Jolteon is generally a poor option on sand and hail teams. On top of this, Jolteon's general lack of offensive coverage/power often has it resorting to Life Orb. With all of this combined, Jolteon may end up killing itself before killing anything else.

Recommendations for mons to use instead:
-***Rotom-W***. Rotom-W is just better than Jolteon in general and should be your go-to replacement if you're currently using Jolteon. It's much better defensively (both statwise and typing), access to STAB Hydro Pump (which highly compliments STAB Electric), faster with a Scarf, and ability to Trick item when not necessary. Rotom-W also has more options, meaning it's less predictable than Jolteon.
-Any other fast OU mon as a late-game cleaner. Seriously, Jolteon is basically bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to OU mons. If you want something to clean up late-game, you can do a lot better. SD Yachechomp and Keldeo are my personal favorites.
---
"I am champion of Bellator. I am face of Bellator now. Who want with belt? Come on with cage. I am beat you. -Alexander Shlemenko
#2kaonohiokala(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 5:31:10 PM
geez that took a lot longer than i expected. maybe i shouldn't be as thorough for the next one. :/
---
"I am champion of Bellator. I am face of Bellator now. Who want with belt? Come on with cage. I am beat you. -Alexander Shlemenko
#3LightningHawk90Posted 8/4/2013 5:31:41 PM
ITT: Opinions.
---
Hi. I'm RageKaiser. I'm here to ruin your unfunny topics.
#4Duskull24Posted 8/4/2013 5:31:45 PM
Take your nonsense to smogon
---
Not changing this sig until Gamefreak brings back the Trick Master. Started 9-19-10
#5thesunscenterPosted 8/4/2013 5:33:54 PM
jolteons my favorite eveelution but even i know it doesnt belong in ou. i just wish bad players would stop using it there so i can use it in uu.

i love the jolteon picture btw lol
---
gortat
#6P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 8/4/2013 5:34:39 PM
I don't see Jolteon used nearly as much as other people seem to. Then again, I don't play competitive nearly enough as I used to either
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#7Ray GunPosted 8/4/2013 5:35:44 PM
Every comment should be "okay thank you wise sir" unless you are currently ranked over 2k
---
rg
#8KyrieIrvingPosted 8/4/2013 5:36:49 PM
okay thank you wise sir
---
http://i.minus.com/iblIlT6HgFdYeW.gif
#9P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 8/4/2013 5:39:16 PM(edited)
okay thank you wise sir
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#10InhaledCornPosted 8/4/2013 5:40:48 PM
Jolten is better on a Rain-team as a Thunder-Abuser. With it's really high speed, not many things outrun it unless they run a speed boosting nature, priority, Choice Scarf, or get a Dragon/Quiver Dance or Agility.

It's main purpose is a lead scout. Come in and see what they start with. If it's favorable, blast it with a Thunderbolt. If it's unfavorable, Volt Switch. If you see Ground-types, HP Ice. With a Modest Nature and Choice Specs, not many things want to switch into it.

Then, there's the unusual Sub Charge Beam set. While it doesn't have the immediate raw power of Choice Specs or Life Orb, it does have the ability to boost its moves while hiding behind a sub. And, again, with its high speed, you can Sub up just to scout and see what they do putting you int a favorable position.

If you're just looking for raw power, Jolteon's not it. Thundurus-T is much better for that. But, what Jolteon does do, it does it well.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
I need to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door again...