This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's talk about Geewunners for a moment.

#1KaiserLeoPosted 8/8/2013 9:15:51 PM
This may shock and astonish none of you, but I am what most people would call a 'Geewunner'. I also don't find it to be a shameful thing.

You see, I do like a fair amount of the newer monsters, I also dislike some of the originals. Monster design is where I don't think the games have fluctuated much.

However, the experience of the game has.

I will fully acknowledge and agree that the multiplayer aspects of the games have become better as the franchise ages. This is a really hard thing to disagree with. The game is not balanced, but there seems to be an effort put into it.

But, honestly, I don't enjoy the multiplayer aspect of the game. What Pokemon is trying to do is too tedious and frustrating for my tastes. I've always gravitated towards 1P.

The original games, as basic as they were, work well as 1P JRPGs. They can be broken, they can be hard, they can be easy, they have minimal dialog like a NES era game, they're basic and they are fun as a classic JRPG experience.

Then Gen 2 comes. Much like the original in many ways, basic, but fun. But the games are far more tedious due to the lack of ability to break the game and the lack of both areas to grind and reasons to grind. Also, not too many of the new monsters appear in the new area.

Gen 3, well, I've mellowed to it over the years, but I still feel the game is more focused towards multiplayer and the single player is left to suffer. The gameplay, especially in RS, is very tedious, the advent of Natures and EVs, as well as the knowledge of them seems to just weed itself into the 1P is experience.

Spanning all of 3-5, I've never felt the stories were strong enough to exist. Definately one of those 'A Till You Shut Up' games. I honestly felt the world had more to it when it was left up to a very basic plot and the lore.

I am also not a fan of the direction the law went. The original games seem to imply Pokemon are new life forms and the games by and large have a scientific bent to them, the later games have this psudeo religious theme to them.

I honestly don't feel that Pokemon is an enjoyable experience anymore. I still love the monster design and music, and I do wish something else gave me my 1P Monster kick that didn't suck, but I've gravitated towards other JRPGs since pokemon.
---
And enough with My Little Pony!
#2Hardley_SmithPosted 8/8/2013 9:17:07 PM
k
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/SephkaBlight
#3FuneralCakePosted 8/8/2013 9:18:04 PM
It's "genwunner," and duly noted.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
do you wanna die or just come real close?
#4Arne83Posted 8/8/2013 9:18:34 PM
That's nice. Also...

KaiserLeo posted...

NEVER!

*Spreads the word of the Magic of Friendship*
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#5pikachu6598Posted 8/8/2013 9:18:48 PM
MegaDunsparce is unhappy with your opinion. Repent while you still can and it shall consider mercy.
---
"Those who ridiculed the almighty Dunsparce shall be it's first victims. For those who repent there ways, MegaDunsparce shall consider mercy."
#6Jump_Man7Posted 8/8/2013 9:20:23 PM
besides the emphasis on a lame story, every advancement of each Gen has been amazing
---
||Our the Yoshi||
||The One True Character||
#7jspamamsPosted 8/8/2013 9:21:03 PM
Gen V had one of the best Pokemon stories to Date. You actually felt sorry for N. Not going to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't played B/W but please do. The Story is really emotional.

Gen V also featured Pokemon that had to adapt to their Enviroment so you have Trubbish and to a lesser extent, Pidove. Gen I does bring back some really fond memories for me but then I remember how Bulbasaur can Crush both Brock and Misty, and the Overall Overpowered Psychic Type. Heck even quite a few Designs are actually pretty damn terrible today. I am not referring to the obvious ones like Dugtrio and Muk, I am actually referring to Pokemon like say Farfetched.

I can never see myself going back to Gen I and yep I have been playing since Yellow. But I also don't want to embrace Gen VI. Gen V is the perfect spot for me.
---
Founder of the Emporium of Wonders J-Max
W2 FC 2323 7485 6066 | Black FC (Cloning) 3268 5945 3681
#8uuurrrgghPosted 8/8/2013 9:52:52 PM
Watch as this turns into a copypasta.
---
Apparently, I'm nobody.
B2 FC: 3010 5891 4441
#9samurai1900Posted 8/8/2013 9:56:16 PM
I have noticed similar things with other franchises, most seem to gravitate towards MP instead of SP, and most of the time the SP pays the price for that.
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperSamurai190//
#10lordofpalkiaPosted 8/8/2013 10:00:04 PM
Arne83 posted...
That's nice. Also...

KaiserLeo posted...

NEVER!

*Spreads the word of the Magic of Friendship*

You realize that that behavior only makes your kind more hated, right?

As for the series, I've never seen it as much more than something to appeal to my more obsessive tendencies. I'm also grateful that TC felt so strongly about this as to type out such a lengthy post. Furthermore, if you don't enjoy the multiplayer aspect of the series, I see you having a lot of problems with it.
---
Official Galactic Commander of the Pokemon X Board.
Black FC: 4814-5831-1521 Name: Magna