This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Mega Ampharos really becoming part dragon?

#11LexifoxPosted 8/10/2013 8:57:15 AM
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
He is. Though the design doesn't really justify the typing.

Its Japanese name, Denryu, can means "electric dragon".
Sheep are gentle creatures, and Asian mythology tends to think of dragons as such.
Sheep have puffy coats of wool, which are almost cloud-like. Asian myth tends to affiliate dragons with clouds, particularly in China.
Megamp, if you look at it, has a flowing "mane" and wool at the tail. These are traits Asian dragons are often depicted with.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#12jspamamsPosted 8/10/2013 8:57:53 AM
Rad_Dudesman posted...

His Japanese name does though

Denryu means both electric current and electric dragon

Also, Clair had an Ampharos in Stadium 2: http://i.imgur.com/dhlWLH4.png

Claire also has a Arcanine and a Rhydon :P

I am fine with Dragon by the way, I understand how the Japanese name works ^^
---
Founder of the Emporium of Wonders J-Max
W2 FC 2323 7485 6066 | Black FC (Cloning) 3268 5945 3681
#13P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 8/10/2013 8:58:04 AM
Lexifox posted...

Its Japanese name, Denryu, can means "electric dragon".
Sheep are gentle creatures, and Asian mythology tends to think of dragons as such.
Sheep have puffy coats of wool, which are almost cloud-like. Asian myth tends to affiliate dragons with clouds, particularly in China.
Megamp, if you look at it, has a flowing "mane" and wool at the tail. These are traits Asian dragons are often depicted with.

Somebody else already posted that, and I know :)
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#14LexifoxPosted 8/10/2013 9:00:25 AM
VampLordAdamaru posted...

And Altaria does...? >.>

See what I said about Asian dragons being gentle and cloud-y. Also note that Chinese myth has creatures that combine traits of dragon and bird. Likewise, Altaria's Japanese name references a star in the constellation Draco (Epsilon Draconis, aka Tyl) and the play The Blue Bird (Tyltyl is one of the main characters).
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#15VampLordAdamaruPosted 8/10/2013 9:02:54 AM
Lexifox posted...
VampLordAdamaru posted...

And Altaria does...? >.>

See what I said about Asian dragons being gentle and cloud-y. Also note that Chinese myth has creatures that combine traits of dragon and bird. Likewise, Altaria's Japanese name references a star in the constellation Draco (Epsilon Draconis, aka Tyl) and the play The Blue Bird (Tyltyl is one of the main characters).

My point was that the design can be irrelevant to Typing. I wasn't saying it shouldn't be, merely that the design doesn't always have bearing on the choice by the devs for Type, merely the inspiration of the Pokemon.
---
Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub
ULCE#: 9,426 of 53,160; Misty is mine!