This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How will Mega Evolution work, anyway?

#1EvilChaosXPosted 8/11/2013 12:43:30 PM
I mean Game Freak has pretty much revealed nothing about it, other than the fact that it's mega, and that you can do it in X and Y.

But what about the ingame mechanics? How will you trigger it? With a held item? With EV grinding? Is it temporary or does it last forever?

Tell me what you think, or any theories you might have.
---
I approve this message.
#2ThatGuyFromNIPosted 8/11/2013 12:44:42 PM
It's a temporary thing in the battle. You'll need the corresponding Mega Stone for your pokemon for it to use that form in battle. It's a held item as far as I've heard and you can only have one Mega Pokemon in a battle at any time.
---
3DS FC - 3351 4142 4500
New Leaf : Name - Robbie. Town - Misaki
#3fissionprimerPosted 8/11/2013 12:46:26 PM
You have to be in great danger, your pokemon trying to help you, will do everything in it's power to save you and then... MEGAEVOLVE!
---
I'm handsome too ;)
#4GameNinjaGuyPosted 8/11/2013 12:47:48 PM
fissionprimer posted...
You have to be in great danger, your pokemon trying to help you, will do everything in it's power to save you and then... MEGAEVOLVE!

^Speculation
---
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!
#5EvilChaosX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2013 12:49:18 PM
Yes, but some of the Mega forms are that of Pokemon that are normally really underpowered, like Absol or Mawile, and a temporary form change via an item could severely limit how you use them, such as competitive battles...
---
I approve this message.
#6GalladetheGreatPosted 8/11/2013 12:50:30 PM
fissionprimer posted...

I think it'll be something like this. 50% health trigger.
---
Don't get mad, get gllad.
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/404951/chocula_medium.jpg
#7ThatGuyFromNIPosted 8/11/2013 12:51:30 PM
EvilChaosX posted...
Yes, but some of the Mega forms are that of Pokemon that are normally really underpowered, like Absol or Mawile, and a temporary form change via an item could severely limit how you use them, such as competitive battles...

Yup, attacks like Knock off suddenly become very very useful. That's why I'm against Mega Evolutions and would prefer Pokemon that actually need evolutions to be given them. (Blaziken definitely needed a new form, obviously)
---
3DS FC - 3351 4142 4500
New Leaf : Name - Robbie. Town - Misaki
#8JoJoX200Posted 8/11/2013 12:53:14 PM
ThatGuyFromNI posted...
It's a temporary thing in the battle. You'll need the corresponding Mega Stone for your pokemon for it to use that form in battle. It's a held item as far as I've heard and you can only have one Mega Pokemon in a battle at any time.

This.

In addition, this is what I'm guessing(none of this is legit for now, just my theory):

Mega Evolution will take a similar status as Ultra Smashes in SSBB and finishing moves in other fighting games, which would explain why most of them look horrendously overpowered(yes, in addition to Blaze and Lucario, I count Mawile, Absol and Kangaskhan). However, since Pokemon is still quite the balanced game, I predict that mega evolving will not be triggered by using certain moves(Lucario uses CC all the time, that's not a valid requirement), but rather will be its own option and take up a turn, akin to, say, a Shell Smash setup.
Therefor, a kind of balance is created and mega evolution now works by the same principle as Shell Smash: high risk, high reward.

While this is of course mere speculation, I think it's quite possible.
#9RotomGuy3Posted 8/11/2013 12:55:35 PM
It was said that MegaEvolutions happen immediately when the Pokemon comes out: provided its holding it's MegaStone, no one else has turned Mega in your team, and a few other things (but not 50% HP or anything like that).
#10EvilChaosX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2013 12:58:23 PM
fissionprimer posted...

Gimmicks are worst form of money grubbing. Surely Nintendo hasn't gone to the Dark Side with EA and Microsoft... Besides, the guys at Game Freak really seems to want to give the players a new mechanic that isn't just a rehash of an old one, or just a scheme from Nintendo execs to squeeze out a few more units. Taijiri isn't that kind of guy. He puts his blood, sweat, and tears into these games.

Okay, Rant over.
---
I approve this message.