This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Jumping in with X/Y - How to be competitive

#1WT_KailPosted 8/11/2013 6:34:52 PM
Hi everyone,

After watching Worlds this weekend I wanted to jump back into Pokemon with X/Y coming up. I was wondering though, all the competition teams involve legendaries from past games. If I come in now I assume I won't have access to Cresselia, Landorus ect.

Now I know I'm not going from newb to champion in a year - but is it possible to become semi-competitive even if I'm jumping in with this game? If so, how?

Thanks
#2Hierarchy225Posted 8/11/2013 6:38:11 PM
Look up guides, and spend a lot of time on Serebii, and Smogon.

Also play Pokemon Showdown a lot.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/
---
The Official MegaLucario of the Pokemon X Board // tinyurl.com/jwes6w5
3DS Friend Code 1993-7813-6870
#36PathsOfPainPosted 8/11/2013 6:39:38 PM
WT_Kail posted...
Hi everyone,

After watching Worlds this weekend I wanted to jump back into Pokemon with X/Y coming up. I was wondering though, all the competition teams involve legendaries from past games. If I come in now I assume I won't have access to Cresselia, Landorus ect.

Now I know I'm not going from newb to champion in a year - but is it possible to become semi-competitive even if I'm jumping in with this game? If so, how?

Thanks

same here with me man. only thing holding me back is tier list andmy favs arnt in any good ones
---
Accept Judgment
#4Ryutto1Posted 8/11/2013 6:39:56 PM
Hierarchy225 posted...
Look up guides, and spend a lot of time on Serebii, and Smogon.

Also play Pokemon Showdown a lot.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

this
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1979 7986 9018 King
3DS FC: 5370 0419 6321 Josh
#5WT_Kail(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2013 6:40:05 PM
Thanks for those links! Also, just in case my wording was off in my OP, how would I (with only a copy of X/Y) get certain legendaries which seem to be "standard" in the competitive scene? Or am I forced to work around them?
#6Ryutto1Posted 8/11/2013 6:42:23 PM
WT_Kail posted...
Thanks for those links! Also, just in case my wording was off in my OP, how would I (with only a copy of X/Y) get certain legendaries which seem to be "standard" in the competitive scene? Or am I forced to work around them?

You can use the trading board here on Gamefaqs . Also these really nice people pop up after a while where they will give you a free non hacked Pokemon a day if they have it in stock and they are pretty darn awesome.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1979 7986 9018 King
3DS FC: 5370 0419 6321 Josh
#7QuickDrawJonesPosted 8/11/2013 6:43:09 PM
It's very possible. A nice way to find inspiration for pokes is by watching some PokeMoshPit. They have some clever ideas and it is a nice way to keep up with which current strategies. But being origional with underused pokes is always fun. No one expects to be swept by a trick room Claydoll. But even just coming here, you can get your team rated and even some practice.
---
I'm so not mad I could flip a table!
GT: QuickDrawJones4
#86PathsOfPainPosted 8/11/2013 6:45:48 PM
if my pokemon isnt in a high tier list. does that basically mean im gonna get swept?
---
Accept Judgment
#9uuurrrgghPosted 8/11/2013 6:46:19 PM
WT_Kail posted...

There will most likely be previous legendaries you can get in X/Y, and not all of the meta comprises of Legends (not even uber). Go to the trading boards, and you can also get yourself some previous gen pokemon to work with.
---
Apparently, I'm nobody.
B2 FC: 3010 5891 4441
#10Hierarchy225Posted 8/11/2013 6:49:35 PM(edited)
6PathsOfPain posted...
if my pokemon isnt in a high tier list. does that basically mean im gonna get swept?

No. Not really. Lower tier teams can beat higher tier teams if the team is good enough, and if the player is good enough.

I've beaten Ubers with an OU team on more than one occasion.

Though I can't quite remember what team that was.. I think it had Lucario in it. Because I remember OHKOing an Arceus with Close Combat.

Oh, and OP use this.

http://www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder

Shows your teams type synergy.
---
The Official MegaLucario of the Pokemon X Board // tinyurl.com/jwes6w5
3DS Friend Code 1993-7813-6870