This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions from a gamer who has been long absent from Pokemon

#1Dart1146Posted 8/14/2013 9:18:51 AM
As the title states I am looking for some answers to some general questions about Pokemon. I haven't actually played a Pokemon game since Pokemon blue back when it first came out. I liked the game, but I'm not much of a handheld gamer.

My girlfriend loves these games however and is very excited for X and Y. It also happens that the release date will be our 6 month anniversary, so I am planning on getting her a copy as a gift.

My main question is whether or not there is a lot of content available for us if I were to pick up a 3ds and the other game (x or y) to play with her?

I know before that all you could do was system link and trade, but I am sure there have been advances to that.

Aside from that I was wondering if this is the kind of game that I can just pick up and play? I know that Blue was pretty linear, and didn't require any in depth knowledge of Pokemon lore. Has that changed? If so, is there a knowledge base for Pokemon I could go through?

Thank you for your responses :)
#2RemixV4Posted 8/14/2013 9:24:38 AM
The basics are still the same. Each version comes with a few Pokemon specific to each, to encourage trading. Combat is the same rock paper scissors thing as before. Anything you need to know to get started is always explained in the beginning via tutorial.
---
The heart is shaken more by a single action than a thousand words.
#3mehmetskiPosted 8/14/2013 9:25:50 AM
nah you dont need much more knowledge, and the bit you need is learnt pretty quickly through the game. and umm actually you still can only trade and battle. but maybe there will come more features we dont know yet
---
Xerneas, the gay-pride Pokemon
3DS FC: 4511-0558-9256
#4Super_Sora_232Posted 8/14/2013 9:35:11 AM
mehmetski posted...
nah you dont need much more knowledge, and the bit you need is learnt pretty quickly through the game. and umm actually you still can only trade and battle. but maybe there will come more features we dont know yet

there is the entree link/pass powers.
---
Official Yen Sid of the Kingdom Hearts III Boards
#5Dart1146(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 9:38:44 AM
Thank you for your responses. I will keep an eye out for development news for it, before I commit to buying a 3DS and Pokemon then.

While it might be a little fun playing Pokemon again I would want a little more content than just trading and battling each other before buying a console and game.
#6EstheimasterPosted 8/14/2013 9:50:05 AM
It will have much more content than Blue. Nuances that have since been added are:

- Breeding Pokemon for stats, Baby Forms, Egg moves, and other stuff I forgot
- Some minigames (not confirmed, but likely and hinted at)
- Super Training (Minigames to increase Pokemon stats)
- Worldwide internet trading and battling (It doesn't need to be just people in the room)
- 500+ new Pokemon since Blue
- 3D overworld
- Many new moves
- A new Fairy type
- Searching for Mega Stones to Mega Evolve.
- Reusable TMs

It's still the same collect, battle, trade that Blue introduced, but it's all done on a much grander scale. You're still battling NPCs to collect gym badges and beat the E4, but in the most recent games they've added dozens of hours of postgame challenges. Blue ended with the E4, but in games like Black 2 and Platinum, the E4 was just the beginning before the real challenge of the Battle Subway and Frontier that came after.
---
The Official Bulbasaur of Pokemon X's board
Bowser Jr, T Zelda, Ridley, Palutena, Pittoo, Isaac, Shulk, Mewtwo, Robin, Balloon Fight, Crono, Mii, Megaman, Neku
#7Chakra_WarriorPosted 8/14/2013 10:43:31 AM
Estheimaster posted...

- A new Fairy type

You forgot Dark & Steel types (they weren't around in Pokemon Blue's time).
---
"My super power is the ability to kill any topic by posting in it." - Me
#8Dart1146(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 11:16:59 AM
Thank you for the additional information. I am mostly looking for things we could do together in the game, and I guess I was hoping that they had expanded that a little more since Blue.

I will keep my eyes open for more information as it becomes available, but I'm not overly interested buying a 3DS to play by myself.

As I stated I am not much of a handheld gamer, and the last handheld I had was a PSP. Honestly, if it hadn't been for having time between classes it probably never would have been turned on. As it was I had it for probably 6 years and sold it with less than 100 hours on it.

If I already had a 3DS I would probably buy the game just for sake of the good memories I had of pokemon as a kid, but $170-$210 for a 3DS and $40 for the game is a bit much for nostalgia and to lay next to each other playing completely seperate pokemon games.

Hopefully they will release more info, because I know she would love it if we could play the games together, but I don't think we would get $250 worth of enjoyment out of only battling one another.
#9TheMasterTurtlePosted 8/14/2013 12:16:15 PM
Dart1146 posted...
Thank you for the additional information. I am mostly looking for things we could do together in the game, and I guess I was hoping that they had expanded that a little more since Blue.

I will keep my eyes open for more information as it becomes available, but I'm not overly interested buying a 3DS to play by myself.

As I stated I am not much of a handheld gamer, and the last handheld I had was a PSP. Honestly, if it hadn't been for having time between classes it probably never would have been turned on. As it was I had it for probably 6 years and sold it with less than 100 hours on it.

If I already had a 3DS I would probably buy the game just for sake of the good memories I had of pokemon as a kid, but $170-$210 for a 3DS and $40 for the game is a bit much for nostalgia and to lay next to each other playing completely seperate pokemon games.

Hopefully they will release more info, because I know she would love it if we could play the games together, but I don't think we would get $250 worth of enjoyment out of only battling one another.

Are you one of those people that don't how to play handheld games? A lot of people seem to think you're supposed to play them on the go, but the secret is to just lounge on your couch. Handhelds are way better and more comfortable then consoles and games on handhelds tend to be more interesting mechanics wise. I think this is due to the lack of GRAPHIX so rather then focus on that they focus on good gameplay thus making handhelds > consoles.
---
OFFICIAL WARTORTLE OF THE B/W BOARDS
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreeAmigosProductio - My short films, please enjoy yourself.
#10koopabros64Posted 8/14/2013 12:27:32 PM
Estheimaster posted...
It will have much more content than Blue. Nuances that have since been added are:

- Breeding Pokemon for stats, Baby Forms, Egg moves, and other stuff I forgot
- Some minigames (not confirmed, but likely and hinted at)
- Super Training (Minigames to increase Pokemon stats)
- Worldwide internet trading and battling (It doesn't need to be just people in the room)
- 500+ new Pokemon since Blue
- 3D overworld
- Many new moves
- A new Fairy type
- Searching for Mega Stones to Mega Evolve.
- Reusable TMs

It's still the same collect, battle, trade that Blue introduced, but it's all done on a much grander scale. You're still battling NPCs to collect gym badges and beat the E4, but in the most recent games they've added dozens of hours of postgame challenges. Blue ended with the E4, but in games like Black 2 and Platinum, the E4 was just the beginning before the real challenge of the Battle Subway and Frontier that came after.

They've also introduced abilities, and different battle methods. Aside from the normal single battles there are double battles, triple battles, rotation battles, sky battles and hoard battles. They've also introduced a real time clock, as well as seasons that change every month. Well, we don't know if the seasons will be returning yet.
---
The Platypus, the reason games like spore exist.