This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For anyone with Gen V transferring questions (E3 Roundtable Transcript)

#1RayCRPPosted 8/14/2013 11:51:32 AM
The transfer question seems to pop up every now and again, so I thought I'd go through the audio recording on my phone from the Developer Roundtable at E3 and transcribe the actual statements from Ishihara and Masuda. Here are the relevant parts:

Tsunekaz Ishihara (via translator): One of the big goals for us is always to utilize the new hardware to really come up with all new ways to play. But there's also something else that we absolutely feel is important, and that would be when transitioning to a new generation of hardware we feel it's important that the previous generation of games can connect with the new generation of games. So a concrete example of this would be transferring your Pokemon from a previous generation of the games to the new generation of the games. With Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, for example, the Nintendo DS had the Game Boy Advance cartridge slot, so players could use the Game Boy Advance cartridge in that and transfer the Pokemon from that game to the Nintendo DS game.

I think that makes it clear that the ability to transfer is important to them, as is the ability for the Gen V games to somehow interact with the Gen VI games...

Q&A Question: Is it possible to import monsters from previous games?

Junichi Masuda (via translator): Of course, everyone's Pokemon are very important to them, so we're thinking of something. Unfortunately, the DS and 3DS can't really communicate with each other, but we're working on it.

...and that makes it clear that they're aware of how important transferring is to the fans and started problem-solving long before E3. I think we can be confident that they'll find a solution and implement it (if they haven't already), even if it requires the use of a separate, downloadable 3DS app. That being said, if there's a way it can be done without requiring access to the eShop, I'm sure they've looked into it as a priority.
#2R0cks0l1ddPosted 8/14/2013 11:54:59 AM
Hasn't Dragon Quest already done this?
---
Official everything of every board.
#3fahademonPosted 8/14/2013 11:56:28 AM
Transferring is one of the first things gf look into.I remember all the rage during gen3,and I'm pretty sure they dont want that again.
---
3DS FC:3222-6949-4801 | Tell me if you add me so I can add you back. :)
Official Lugia and MegaBlaziken of all Pokemon Boards.
#4Dark_Link92Posted 8/14/2013 11:56:31 AM
Maybe they can do something so that the actual X/Y cartridge can install the app onto your 3DS, so people without internet access can still transfer, or something?
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#5PkmTrainerAbramPosted 8/14/2013 12:23:33 PM
Dark_Link92 posted...
Maybe they can do something so that the actual X/Y cartridge can install the app onto your 3DS, so people without internet access can still transfer, or something?

It's what I'm hoping for and hoping that the app is region free.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Plat/HG(492/492, 5 Star Black Trainer Cards), Street Fighter 3(Xbox online sparingly)
#6sword0flightPosted 8/14/2013 12:34:59 PM
Hopefully no transfer from previous gen! That would open potential for transferring illegal stats pokesav pokemons which would suck.
#7jayman7Posted 8/14/2013 12:42:20 PM(edited)
R0cks0l1dd posted...

Dragon Quest Monsters, but yes. As I keep saying, if Square-Enix could figure it out, GameFreak could.

sword0flight posted...
Hopefully no transfer from previous gen! That would open potential for transferring illegal stats pokesav pokemons which would suck.

It's cute that you think such things will never happen on the 3DS. How na´ve.

Back in the real world, I don't think it's a good idea to screw over legit players just to try to interfere with hackers who will eventually find a way to hack anyway.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#87656198Posted 8/14/2013 12:39:35 PM
I don't have a 3DS yet, but an APP seems to make the most sense. Put in your DS version game, load the app, dump all you pokes, or some, however annoying way I'm sure they will do it, take your game out put in X/Y load app from game and dump the pokes to the game. It seems simple enough, but Im guessing it isnt.
---
PSN: Snycher - Playing: GoW:A, The Witcher, FF14: A Realm Reborn, FF4
I'm a guy gamer, let the shock and awe commence!!!
#9jayman7Posted 8/14/2013 12:41:23 PM
7656198 posted...
I don't have a 3DS yet, but an APP seems to make the most sense. Put in your DS version game, load the app, dump all you pokes, or some, however annoying way I'm sure they will do it, take your game out put in X/Y load app from game and dump the pokes to the game. It seems simple enough, but Im guessing it isnt.

I can't see any reason why it would need to be more complicated than that. The app should take care of the data conversion.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#10sword0flightPosted 8/14/2013 12:45:38 PM
jayman7 posted...
R0cks0l1dd posted...

Dragon Quest Monsters, but yes. As I keep saying, if Square-Enix could figure it out, GameFreak could.

sword0flight posted...

It's cute that you think such things will never happen on the 3DS. How na´ve.

Back in the real world, I don't think it's a good idea to screw over legit players just to try to interfere with hackers who will eventually find a way to hack anyway.

With the new periodical updates to connect to wifi through 3DS and a much better security than DS; then the chances of hacking is minimal to null if nintendo releases updates constantly. I hope as much as possible for the game to be comptetive enough even if I cant import from other games.