This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Teaching myself Japanese so I can play XY immediately

#81NewbieN00bPosted 8/16/2013 8:53:28 PM
Firemaster5 posted...
NewbieN00b posted...
And how does that tell me when the language option comes up? Is it before the intro? After selecting new game?

You just see it. It would really stick out (when you see the screen). That's my point.
We don't know exactly when other than that but, you can figure it out. I'm guessing as soon as you select "New Game", it'll prompt you the screen asking which language you would like to play in. If you can't read it, remember the colors. English seems to be red. The languages might appear in their respective symbols/text and languages. Hopefully, the coloring stays consistent.

...and what did the posted screenshot have to do with it? I agree with you, it is probably right after new game but I don't get the screenshot.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
White FC: 4428-2451-8791
#82DemPokermanzPosted 8/16/2013 8:54:34 PM
:l ummm... you know that every version is releasing on the same day right?

Please TC, tell me this is a joke topic
---
---
I love me a good pancake.
#83PkmTrainerAbramPosted 8/16/2013 8:56:53 PM
TherianReturns posted...
Accrovideogames posted...
TherianReturns posted...
Using a game to learn a language isn't a good idea

Video games taught me English.

Awesome!

That might be a feat actually. I've heard English is difficult to learn if it's like your second or third language. It wasn't for me, but most people aren't like the great TherianReturns. heehee

Japanese has about 40 something sounds, the 40 soundthing symbols to express those sounds, and the thoundsands of Kanji that use those sounds.

English has 24 letters, and thounds of variations between those letters that is extremely inconsistant. Reading "I" and "eye"? How you you know isn't pronounced "e yeh" if you don't know the naunce? Looking at it now English is a jumbled WRECK.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Plat/HG(492/492, 5 Star Black Trainer Cards), Street Fighter 3(Xbox online sparingly)
#84Firemaster5Posted 8/16/2013 9:15:44 PM
NewbieN00b posted...
Firemaster5 posted...
NewbieN00b posted...
And how does that tell me when the language option comes up? Is it before the intro? After selecting new game?

You just see it. It would really stick out (when you see the screen). That's my point.
We don't know exactly when other than that but, you can figure it out. I'm guessing as soon as you select "New Game", it'll prompt you the screen asking which language you would like to play in. If you can't read it, remember the colors. English seems to be red. The languages might appear in their respective symbols/text and languages. Hopefully, the coloring stays consistent.

...and what did the posted screenshot have to do with it? I agree with you, it is probably right after new game but I don't get the screenshot.

Just what to expect/look for. That's an idea of what the language selection screen should look like.
I you don't know what the text says, your best bet is to at least figure what the screen will look like so you'll know when to quit skipping through text and select a language since we don't know for sure. Being a visual learner as a majority of people are, figuring by seeing images, demonstrations helps me and the highest percentage of types (for that general category) of learners. It helped me a bit when playing KH2: FM aside from a translation guide and having playing vanilla KH2, which I memorized a bit (including visual memory), beforehand.
---
"I'd like to unbox her Mark of Mastery Edition if you know what I mean."-Goombacrusher07
#85TheCorruptAngelPosted 8/16/2013 10:23:52 PM
PkmTrainerAbram posted...
TherianReturns posted...
TherianReturns posted...
Using a game to learn a language isn't a good idea

Awesome!

That might be a feat actually. I've heard English is difficult to learn if it's like your second or third language. It wasn't for me, but most people aren't like the great TherianReturns. heehee

Japanese has about 40 something sounds, the 40 soundthing symbols to express those sounds, and the thoundsands of Kanji that use those sounds.

English has 24 letters, and thounds of variations between those letters that is extremely inconsistant. Reading "I" and "eye"? How you you know isn't pronounced "e yeh" if you don't know the naunce? Looking at it now English is a jumbled WRECK.

Japanese writing is a lot more complicated than ours because of the Kanji, but the language aside from that is considerably easier. I think English is classified by most linguists as one of the more difficult languages to learn if you're not a native speaker. It's not difficult to see why though:

The English vocabulary has THOUSANDS more words and expressions than other languages. Most other languages developed naturally and even somewhat linearly with minor outside influences. If you were to compare Old High German to modern High German, it's very similar despite the different way you write things. If you compared Old Norse to modern Icelandic, it's almost the same. But if you compared Old English to Modern English? It's almost an alien language.

The language spoken on the British Isles were various Celtic languages before the migration of Germanic peoples who mixed with them. The language the Germanic people spoke was an old Low Saxon dialect, so when they came they began speaking a modification of that with some Celtic influence. Then the place was conquered by seemingly every empire in Europe - The Roman Empire, the North Sea Empire, the Normans. Between 700AD and 1200AD the language changed so rapidly from all of this that after England became their own thing, you'd speak a sentence that had Old Norse, Old French, Insular Celtic, Old High German, and Latin words all in the same sentence.

I (From the Low Saxon "ic") have (From Old High German "habe") an (From either French "une" or German "ein") egg (Well-known Old Norse word). I have an egg. Three or four foreign language influences in that four word sentence.

By contrast, Japanese has very few such foreign influences. Right now a couple come to mind, such as Kake (Cake) and Arubaito (Arbeit, which means Work in German). Ignoring its complicated writing system, it's an objectively FAR easier language to learn because of this and other details, such as simpler phonology and grammar.
---
Your words are as empty as your signature!
What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets!
#86spikethedevilPosted 8/18/2013 4:34:27 PM
DemPokermanz posted...
:l ummm... you know that every version is releasing on the same day right?

Please TC, tell me this is a joke topic
---

wow 9th page in and people are still taking the bait lol
---
A garbage pod!? Its a smegging garbage pod!
#87ProdozulPosted 8/18/2013 4:55:22 PM
pokemonpokemon4 posted...
Hector_Sass posted...
Verdika posted...
Kaizukezu posted...
I'm actually trying to learn Australian, just because I heard they usually get the Pokemon games released there last. I kinda started late in my studies, so I plan to have my learning complete by the time Australia gets X and Y in 2015.

"Crikey mate!"

"She's a byooty!

"Get the hell out ya damn wanker!"

"Dingo, bahbie, ko-A-lah!"

There, you're fluent.

As an Australian, I can't believe how racist you're being.

Bloody Hell mate, pull ya flaming socks up!

As a Canadian, meh.

BIGOT!
#88fahademonPosted 8/18/2013 5:05:25 PM
TherianReturns posted...

Awesome!

English was my second language and I learnt it from Pokemon.But all that time playing pokemon made me better at english than my first language. :s
---
3DS FC:3222-6949-4801 | Tell me if you add me so I can add you back. :)
Official Lugia and MegaBlaziken of all Pokemon Boards.
#89bd43Posted 8/18/2013 5:11:49 PM
TherianReturns posted...
I already know Japanese, and I've known it since birth. Using a game to learn a language isn't a good idea, especially the complex parts of Japanese...

The latter is actually untrue. It may be true for something like English>Japanese, but a game or a relatable item to learn, say, Spanish actually streamlines it.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.