This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon and Demon Worship?

#1Kidpool16Posted 8/16/2013 9:56:16 AM
Does anyone mind expanding on this?

I was lurking in a thread yesterday or the day before about Pokemon and our parents, and a lot of people kept on saying their parents thought the games were about Demon Worship or something.

Was there a whole slew of rumors or something? What was it all about?
#2jayman7Posted 8/16/2013 9:57:34 AM
Some people really are that crazy, but even without having seen the topic in question I can safely say that most of the people in it were probably joking.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#3GoGoatPosted 8/16/2013 9:59:02 AM
I prefer to keep pokemon training and my demon worshipping separate.
---
Official Oblivion Keyblade of the KH3 Board
3ds FC: 1934-0765-5595
#46PathsOfPainPosted 8/16/2013 10:00:23 AM
it originated from back in the day when people though trainers were capturing the pokemons soul and holding them against their will, then again people are really dumb so yeah it was just mumbo jumbo
---
Accept Judgment
#5M4nnimalPosted 8/16/2013 10:02:43 AM
This was a really popular stance for some religious extremists years ago. It mostly stemmed from the "evolution" mechanic introduced in the first Pokemon games, which some people thought was equitable to Satanic overtones.
---
"We thirsted for thunderbolts and great deeds."
#6Kidpool16(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 10:03:17 AM
jayman7 posted...
Some people really are that crazy, but even without having seen the topic in question I can safely say that most of the people in it were probably joking.

Aw, man...

I was hoping to be reading through a bunch of early Late 90s - Early 2000s conspiracies/controversies...
All Pokemon has are James' Fake Boobies, a gun, and seizure-inducing Porygons. :'(
#7Volren617Posted 8/16/2013 10:04:29 AM
Pokemon is short for pocket monster. Monster = devil so this game is clearly about making friends with demons and is hence a starter kit for hard core devil worship.

Hurr durr.
#8Arne83Posted 8/16/2013 10:05:26 AM
It was this old thing from back in the 90's. Crazy religious people saw Pokemon and instead of trying to understand what it was about, they let their minds run wild and filled in the void of knowledge with insane bull****.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#9Rook_the_RangerPosted 8/16/2013 10:07:14 AM
Some Pokemon are based on mythological demons like Ninetales That and religious extremists don't let their kids play anything with magical elements. I had a friend in high school that was not allowed to play Dungeons and Dragons so Pokemon isn't the only thing accused of this.
#10Kidpool16(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 10:12:36 AM
Volren617 posted...
Pokemon is short for pocket monster. Monster = devil so this game is clearly about making friends with demons and is hence a starter kit for hard core devil worship.

Hurr durr.

Hmmm. This is really interesting. Seems like there was a lot backlash from the franchise.
I'm hearing different things from a lot of people. :)

I now have a writing prompt for my Conspiracy Theories Summer Course. :D

Oooh, and check this out. I think you guys might like this.
http://www.cephasministry.com/save_our_children_pokemon_booklet.html

I found an online document about this crazy stuff. It's a hilarious read.

a seductive vision: to become Pokemon masters
a tempting promise: supernatural power
a new objective: keep collecting Pokemon
an urgent command: "gotta catch them all"