This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Downside to Mega? Single-use Mega Stones?

#11koggxPosted 8/17/2013 12:36:39 AM(edited)
Ever since we got the info today that activating mega evolution is done by simple activation that doesn't take up a turn, the one question I've had is: Why?

way i look at it possibly only one mega in a battle combined with being able to control when you mega evolve means you have to chose wisely when to mega evolve as to make the most of both your pre and post mega Evo abilities so it could add a bit of strategy
---
www.freewebs.com/kingofgamesgx
#12JoJoX200Posted 8/17/2013 12:37:28 AM
I could see a reconfiguration of stats. Lucario and Blaziken very much look like their power got over the top. I equate that to running berserk and thus lowering their defense stats even more(because not obeying would make them instantly useless and GF likely knows that).
#13SaketzuPosted 8/17/2013 12:47:00 AM
i actually belive the reason for megaevolution to be able to activate and deactivated is simple, they already said you can only have one mega evolve at a time and in the demo deactivating use a turn so you can change your mega pokemon to another, lets say im in a double battle and i have two pokemon with mega stones, i activate one of them and the other one dont then if i see my opponent put another pokemon that is gonna beat my pokemon i deactivated it and activate the other pokemon. the other reason could be what people above me have already mentioned are good too, like lets say my ampharos becoming a dragon and the opponent change to a fairy then i deactivated my pokemon so it loose the dragon type loosing a turn but saving my butt.
#14Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 1:01:12 AM
supremeblaster posted...
The only reason I can think of if that either (A) Mega Stones are single-use items...

You answered your own question.

Do we have any actual indication of that being the case? Because if not, then it's essentially exactly as likely as everything else that I said.

Roobitysu posted...
The downside is not being able to use another item.

link_15 posted...
Well first of all its locking you out of using any other item.

That's not really a downside. That's just an opportunity cost, one that every single other item has as well.

Archwing3441 posted...
maybe you can't switch out once a pokemon megaevolves

That actually sounds like it could be cool.
#15Serebii from SPPPosted 8/17/2013 1:05:48 AM
Mega Stones are not one time use.

Having it by choice is a good way to trick your opponent. Say a Pokémon gains an immunity with a type change when they Mega Evolve, you can gode people into using a move and then Mega Evolve
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#16AvatarOfBaganPosted 8/17/2013 4:17:00 AM
Serebii from SPP posted...
Mega Stones are not one time use.

Having it by choice is a good way to trick your opponent. Say a Pokémon gains an immunity with a type change when they Mega Evolve, you can gode people into using a move and then Mega Evolve

DING DING DING! We have a winner!
---
"Nonsense, Bagan cannot be defeated". - Aliens: Super Godzilla
You can't get me to hate Metroid: Other M.
#17Aura_SpherePosted 8/17/2013 4:34:24 AM
WHY do people think this is one-time use only? Stupid.
---
[3DS: 0748-2142-5452] Currently adding people for Pokemon X/Y! PM me if you decide to add me, please. FC space: 27/100
#18AzurinaiPosted 8/17/2013 5:20:08 AM
Mega Evolution can only be done either once per battle or only have 1 available at a time, regardless, you may have other pokemon you want to mega evolve and making it automatic would not give you that chance to choose.
---
This post has a +1 to topic killing, +3 vs Trolls and other regenerating entities.
NNID- Azurus MHU- Raiss Team Noir: Ninetales
#19kakashik99992Posted 8/17/2013 5:25:42 AM
Having it happen per choice can potentially make the 1 mega per team/battle works ALSO on the ingame/ special endgame non frontier facilities too because it could be actually coded and not related to the number of MegaStones on your inventory/pokemons holding it
---
My pokemon run http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/150
#20RotomGuy3Posted 8/17/2013 5:27:30 AM
Considering its one Mega per team, maybe you want to see an opponents team before you chose whether you want to turn your Lucario Mega, or your Blaziken Mega.