This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Downside to Mega? Single-use Mega Stones?

#31Aura_SpherePosted 8/17/2013 11:13:39 AM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Aura_Sphere posted...
The only "outlandish" idea here is thinking that these Mega Stones are one-time use.

Why is that outlandish exactly? Yeah, it's dumb, but it's not like Trollfreak hasn't done dumber things. And really, people are getting too hung up on this. I mentioned it as a possibility, because it was a possibility, just like I mentioned many other possibilities, not because it or any of the others were expectations.

Why would such key items be one-time use only?
---
[3DS: 0748-2142-5452] Currently adding people for Pokemon X/Y! PM me if you decide to add me, please. FC space: 27/100
#32Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 11:16:31 AM
Big_Isaac posted...
why exactly should using a mega stone have a greater opportunity cost than any other item?

I didn't say it should. I'm saying that it has the exact same opportunity cost as any other item, because it does. Saying that Mega Stones have a downside that you can't equip a Choice item is like saying that putting Spore on your Pokemon's moveset has the downside of taking up one of the four move slots that it could use for Quiver Dance instead or like saying that putting Scizor on your team has the downside of taking up one of your six team positions that you could use for Haxorus instead. All of that's just opportunity cost. It doesn't actually tell anybody anything about the value of an option compared to the value of the other alternatively available options.

Aura_Sphere posted...

Because Trollfreak is Trollfreak. Besides, it's not like we have any idea how abundant these things will be.
#33Aura_SpherePosted 8/17/2013 11:19:06 AM(edited)
Aura_Sphere posted...

Because Trollfreak is Trollfreak.

Hardly a valid reason.
---
[3DS: 0748-2142-5452] Currently adding people for Pokemon X/Y! PM me if you decide to add me, please. FC space: 27/100
#34Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 11:22:45 AM(edited)
Aura_Sphere posted...
Hardly a valid reason.

About Trollfreak being Trollfreak or about their possibly being abundant for all we know?
For the latter, you don't think it'd be totally fine to make them single-use if you could just buy them cheaply from a Mega Stone vendor whenever you felt like it?
And for the former, I might agree with you if the question were about people believing or expecting that to be the case, but that's not what happened. All that happened was that it was acknowledged as a possibility, which is was, regardless of how stupid of a possibility it might have been.
#35Aura_SpherePosted 8/17/2013 11:24:32 AM
Aura_Sphere posted...
Hardly a valid reason.

About Trollfreak being Trollfreak or about their possibly being abundant for all we know?
For the latter, you don't think it'd be totally fine to make them single-use if you could just buy them cheaply from a Mega Stone vendor whenever you felt like it?
And for the former, I might agree with you if the question were about people believing or expecting that to be the case, but that's not what happened. All that happened was that it was acknowledged as a possibility, which is was, regardless of how stupid of a possibility it might have been.

I was referring to your "Trollfreak is Trollfreak" comment. "bc trollfreak" is not a good reason for thinking the Mega Stone would be limited in quantity of uses.
---
#36Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 11:35:37 AM(edited)
Aura_Sphere posted...
I was referring to your "Trollfreak is Trollfreak" comment. "bc trollfreak" is not a good reason for thinking the Mega Stone would be limited in quantity of uses.

I don't think that Mega Stones will be one-use only. I've said this repeatedly. That is not something that I believe or expect will happened. There were a lot of possibilities that I listed that I did not believe or expect would happen (like Mega Pokemon not obeying). Single-use Mega Stone was only one of them. Acknowledging it as a possibility doesn't mean I think it's going to happen.

EDIT: In my second post in this thread, I even called somebody out for claiming with apparent certainty that Mega Stone were single-use items!
#37JoJoX200Posted 8/17/2013 11:43:42 AM
Actually, if the demo has a Mewtwo holding its Mega Stone, wouldn't just checking the team screen after transforming clear up all confusion about this? Berries and Balloon/Bulb disappear at the moment of use, so that should apply here too.

Maybe someone who plays it is keen enough to check on that.
#38Aura_SpherePosted 8/17/2013 11:47:48 AM(edited)
Aura_Sphere posted...

I don't think that Mega Stones will be one-use only. I've said this repeatedly. That is not something that I believe or expect will happened. There were a lot of possibilities that I listed that I did not believe or expect would happen (like Mega Pokemon not obeying). Single-use Mega Stone was only one of them. Acknowledging it as a possibility doesn't mean I think it's going to happen.

EDIT: In my second post in this thread, I even called somebody out for claiming with apparent certainty that Mega Stone were single-use items!

Ah, my apologies then. I only read your reply to my first post. It still seems ridiculous people believe these items are used once then gone.
The Torchic + Blazikenite event would be a huge waste if that were the case. That alone is why I personally believe Mega Stones can be used indefinitely.
---
#39fuzi11Posted 8/17/2013 11:51:56 AM
simple as pie.

What if you have a team with multiple megacapable pokemon. In battle you can choose which one you can megavolve.

What if your signature mega is ampharos. If your enemies team is groundtype based, you might reconsider not megavolving ampharos as the additional dragon type won't help against the electric disadvantage. Then you still have the choice to megavolve your spare khangaskan as multihit is in that case preferred

I am not a very competetive player, so I chose the most basic scenario I could come up with
#40paiprPosted 8/17/2013 12:08:53 PM
i could see them having a time limit, and maybe after the pokemon faints? or has its hp or pp cut in half?
---
dandelion + flabebe + fairy wind = saddest moment in pokemon.
3ds fc. jd, 0602-6823-9646 or 0146.9112.0071