This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Downside to Mega? Single-use Mega Stones?

#51TherianReturnsPosted 8/18/2013 2:47:10 PM
I'm definitely NOT using mega stones. I prefer them holding lucky eggs anyway.
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
3DS FC: 1891 1428 1023 - add for Pokemon X/Y
#52ClassyOldHatPosted 8/18/2013 3:00:30 PM
feeltheninjitsu posted...
You only get one mega evolution per battle. The button just allows you to choose which pokemon to megafy. You could put mega stones on multiple pokemon for flexibilty, or you could simply bluff a mega stone when you are actually choice scarf'd or focus sash'd.

The fact that you don't switch in automatically transformed also prevents the pokemon who gain stronger defensive stats or superior typing from switching in more easily. This is likely a balance measure.

This guy seems to have the best answer for the TC's question.
#53Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 4:28:40 PM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
You are not a very smart individual if you think they're gonna make them one-time use only

*facepalm* I don't think that any more than I think that Mega Pokemon aren't going to obey their trainers. I've already explained this. Why is everybody still harping on this? If you think that it's stupid, then good; offer up an idea that isn't.

Hierarchy225 posted...
Also Mega's do have a down side. It can't use any other items.

That is not a down side, as has already been explained. That's just an opportunity cost, the exact same opportunity cost that every single other item has.

Hierarchy225 posted...
Name one thing Gamefreak has done thats dumber than one time use Mega Stones.

If you're looking for something directly similar or comparable, then a bunch of the other single-use items, like Focus Sash, certainly qualify as being at least as dumb. Other potential contenders include bothering creating shiny versions of event Pokemon that'll never be released, bothering creating Dream World abilities for Pokemon that'll never be released or will only be released as male, and bothering with minor Pokemon gender differences that are just pixels off and essentially unnoticeable, but those are just specific pet peeves of mine. I'm sure you can think of things that you personally think are dumber if you think hard enough.

ClassyOldHat posted...
feeltheninjitsu posted...
You only get one mega evolution per battle. The button just allows you to choose which pokemon to megafy. You could put mega stones on multiple pokemon for flexibilty, or you could simply bluff a mega stone when you are actually choice scarf'd or focus sash'd.

The fact that you don't switch in automatically transformed also prevents the pokemon who gain stronger defensive stats or superior typing from switching in more easily. This is likely a balance measure.

This guy seems to have the best answer for the TC's question.

It's definitely way better then some of the other crap I've been getting from people who don't read, and it seems reasonable that that's what Gamefreak may think. Though, unless Mega Pokemon really are more outstanding than they're being expected to be, I still don't think that carrying multiple Pokemon with Mega Stones just for the flexibility of it is something people will actually do competitively. I can sort of buy where the defensiveness reasoning is going, but I'm not totally sure about it. I guess there's really no way to tell, though, until we know what the Mega Pokemon's actual stats are like.