This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand all the hate for IVs

#1VintageRonJohnPosted 8/17/2013 7:51:58 AM
It's just one small aspect of your Pokemon's stats you can't (completely) control. If anything, GameFreak should work on making it harder or impossible to abuse RNG. It was a darn good feeling when I bred an Eevee with flawless special attack and speed, and the right nature for a Jolteon. EVs are twice as important, anyway.
---
Conduit 2: RonJohn 3868-8419-8160 [D-S]Jolt 4986-1435-0700
The Conduit: RonJohn 3309-2472-4741
#2RotomGuy3Posted 8/17/2013 7:52:58 AM
But trying to get the right Pokemon with all those IV's you want is the most intolerable activity in the Pokemon world.
#3Soar2344Posted 8/17/2013 7:55:44 AM
I get EV's but I still have a hard time understanding what IV's do?
---
A scattered dream that's like a far-off memory... a far-off memory that's like a scattered dream... i want to line the pieces up... yours and mine.
#4Ray GunPosted 8/17/2013 7:55:55 AM
limits competitive battling ingame
adds RNG to a game that has literally no benefits to any aspect of the game, it just makes breeding more intolerable
IVs and EVs are of the same importance, if you don't have max speed then there's no point in even bothering. Losing the bulk and power compared to perfect IVs can make a huge difference
Making HP also depend on it is lmao dumb

GF should just give everything +31 and eliminate IVs, make the game much better
---
rg
#5Ray GunPosted 8/17/2013 7:56:32 AM
and by ingame i meant using the actual DS or w/e as compared to simulators
---
rg
#6XazealPosted 8/17/2013 7:57:13 AM(edited)
I would be fine with IVs if they only ranged from 1 to 10. It would still definitely be difficult to get perfect IVs across the board (not that most Pokémon would need it anyway), but it would be much less frustrating than trying to get a legit perfect Pokémon now, which is almost impossible.

ETA: Oh, and they have to be made visible. They have to. Somehow.
---
Official Officialty of the Officialityness Board.
#7javel34Posted 8/17/2013 7:59:45 AM
Soar2344 posted...

They are like the pokemons "genetics" 31 IV is max and 0 is the lowest possible.

A Pokemon with 31 speed will outspeed the same species of pokemon that has 30 (assuming both have the same amount of EVSs
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208 http://zettai-cosplay.deviantart.com/art/Skyla-Cosplay-244148531 my wife. Doesn't count Tiger, this ones real.
#8VintageRonJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 8:05:10 AM
Ray Gun posted...
limits competitive battling ingame
adds RNG to a game that has literally no benefits to any aspect of the game, it just makes breeding more intolerable
IVs and EVs are of the same importance, if you don't have max speed then there's no point in even bothering. Losing the bulk and power compared to perfect IVs can make a huge difference
Making HP also depend on it is lmao dumb

I think it adds texture to in-game battling, compared to simulators. Things are less predictable, and it's nice that people who invest in breeding are rewarded. Flip on the TV and ride your bike.

Good point about the speed. I've always hated that stat, anyway. It's so one-dimensional. While basing critical hits on speed was annoying, to say the least, speed should do *something* else.
---
Conduit 2: RonJohn 3868-8419-8160 [D-S]Jolt 4986-1435-0700
The Conduit: RonJohn 3309-2472-4741
#9Ray GunPosted 8/17/2013 8:08:25 AM
it's not investment it's luck. not to mention people like me will just get around it and generate a team regardless

i have at the moment probably 3 teams that i use regularly, i change teams frequently when i actually feel like team building
there is no way i'm going to deal with achieving perfect IVs for 18 different sets that constantly change
---
rg
#10Dark_EinherjarPosted 8/17/2013 8:17:25 AM
Soar2344 posted...

Each of the Pokémon's stats have a random number varying from 0 to 31. They are determined by the RNG the moment you meet the Pokémon in battle, receive it, or receive its egg. Once determined, IVs can't be changed.

For example, a LV100 Tyranitar with an Adamant nature and 252 Attack EVs can have its Attack ranging from 372 (0 IVs - minimum) to 403 (31 IVs - maximum).

IVs are terrible the way they currently are, because unless you hack the game or manipulate the RNG, getting Pokémon with good/maximum IVs can be a VERY FRUSTRATING task; it's entirely luck-based, and you are at the mercy of the RNG.

You can transfer the IVs you want through breeding and Power items, but you have to have Pokémon with good IVs to begin with.
---
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black