This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand all the hate for IVs

#61Dark_EinherjarPosted 8/17/2013 5:01:21 PM
VintageRonJohn posted...
Uncertainty in the sense that if I battle someone over IR in Black/White, I don't know if they've RNGd (but they probably haven't unless I'm at VGC), so I don't necessarily know who will be faster, how many hits their attacks will take to KO any given Pokemon of mine, things like that.

I don't necessarily know this anyway even if both Pokémon have perfect IVs; I see people get screwed all the time because they lose the speed tie, or because the attack deals minimum damage and falls short of a KO.
---
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black
#62Dark_EinherjarPosted 8/17/2013 5:16:14 PM
Exaetellus posted...
Well since IVs exist and there is no 3DS AR, expect the metagame this gen to be 99% simulator.

That expectation is absurd. Here's why:

-Pokémon transference from previous B/W/B2/W2 to X & Y. This ALONE ensures that previous Gen Pokémon can keep their perfect IVs (they're only screwed if they gain important egg moves), and also provides the Pokémon people need for IV breeding (such as Ditto with 31 IVs in every stat);

-It's already possible to send save files from an ORIGINAL 3DS cart to a PC in order to edit them. Therefore, making a Pokégen-like program for X & Y won't take long.
---
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black
#63redFOX381Posted 8/17/2013 6:16:19 PM
back on topic: They're difficult to manipulate w/out hacking.
---
words put together these, get what you do?
#64VintageRonJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 6:46:22 PM
redFOX381 posted...
back on topic: They're difficult to manipulate w/out hacking.

... and if that's the only complaint, video games might not be your thing.
---
Conduit 2: RonJohn 3868-8419-8160 [D-S]Jolt 4986-1435-0700
The Conduit: RonJohn 3309-2472-4741
#65sniper_zeroPosted 8/17/2013 7:38:13 PM
Still...if you hate IV's so much then why complain about it now? I don't think I saw many complaints about it back in the days R/S/E and FR/LG.
#66nofpskthxPosted 8/17/2013 8:55:03 PM
kingjam1 posted...
IVs are stupid. They are tedious, boring and make it difficult to get into competitive battling. The difference between 0 IVs and 31 IVs is too big. Power items only help with one set of IVs and you need a perfect Pokemon in the first place for it to be useful. It is far too luck based for something that makes a massive difference in competitive battling.

Pretty much why I haven't involved myself with it at all. I'd like to get into competitive battling, but I know I won't be lasting a heartbeat against a team with strong IV's. So I don't. I like collecting and trading, but i don't do that either lol because of clowns asking for celebi and darkrai for a lvl 1 starter... or an advertised cyndaquil that shows up as a shiny rayquaza... IV's completely push me away from even considering anything in the competitive arena. I do put time and effort into my teams, I always keep several pokerus vessels at hand, I usually take some time to breed moves onto a pokemon I like (a powerwhip venusaur for example). It doesn't seem like enough though and sometimes the pokemon I like are generally outclassed. Basically it really kinda takes the fun out of the games for people like myself. They should make IV's more accessible, less grindy, or at least less boring, but yeah... hopes like that don't get anywhere lol. I'll stick to my mini meta and enjoy it all the same
#67BalloonBattle05Posted 8/18/2013 6:20:01 AM
sniper_zero posted...
Still...if you hate IV's so much then why complain about it now? I don't think I saw many complaints about it back in the days R/S/E and FR/LG.

Most likely because those games didn't have online play.
#68pokemonfreak97Posted 8/19/2013 2:53:41 PM
I'd prefer it if they added a random +(21/Level) to the stat formula, subtracted 21 from all existing Pokemon's IVs (or 0 if it's under 21), and made them range from 0 to 10.

That way competitively good Pokemon stay competitively decent, all other Pokemon get a little better, and it's just a 1 in a million chance instead of the monstrosity it is now.
---
Generation (pi)(i).
When you see this, raise e to the generation and add 1. Social experiment.
#69VintageRonJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 7:20:58 AM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
I'd prefer it if they added a random +(21/Level) to the stat formula, subtracted 21 from all existing Pokemon's IVs (or 0 if it's under 21), and made them range from 0 to 10.

That way competitively good Pokemon stay competitively decent, all other Pokemon get a little better, and it's just a 1 in a million chance instead of the monstrosity it is now.

Why not just simplify the IVs?

0, 1, 2 = 0
3, 4, 5 = 1
6, 7, 8 = 2
You get the idea.

I have a lot of pokes with IVs that are decent under the current system that would become useless with subtracting 21 from each IV.
---
Conduit 2: RonJohn 3868-8419-8160 [D-S]Jolt 4986-1435-0700
The Conduit: RonJohn 3309-2472-4741
#70Teh_TiltyuPosted 8/20/2013 7:39:08 AM
gamefreak should just make every IV count as 31 at lv100

they get to keep the randomness without infuriating players who don't want to play on simulators
---
"Mounted Emblem: Sigurdology of the Holsety War" - heavylobsterguy