This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SHIFT or SET: how do you play?

#51confessabearPosted 8/17/2013 11:05:29 PM
NessEggman posted...
I play SHIFT.

The game is ridiculously easy. Playing on SET, it's still just as easy, now just takes longer and is more tedious. It doesn't make it "harder." Honestly tell me a time you lost a match on SET that you think you would have barely scraped by if it had been on SHIFT. I bet there's no such scenario! I mean, theoretically, it's possible, but there are far better things you can do to give yourself ACTUAL challenge in the game.

I love competitive battles and I love frontier/tower/subway/etc and I love that they use SET. Because those battles are meant to be more strategic and enthralling.

But through the regular game? It's just adding tedium.

This. Most of the "difficulty" on SET is more tedium than an actual challenge, with the exception of the few scenarios that have been pointed out. It makes XP/EV distribution a pain and I don't feel like rotating my roster after every battle or wasting a turn switching out (and getting half XP) just to evenly raise my team. SET is best left for competitive battling.

Although, I would love it if they added a "MIX" option, which allows you to switch out a pokemon after KOing the opponent's without telling you which pokemon they're about to use next. That is what makes in-game battling easy.
---
Tell Confess-a-Bear, now!
The '90s in a nutshell: good games, good economy, good times
#52MT_TRAEHPosted 8/17/2013 11:22:47 PM
RageKaiser posted...
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

i wonder what this guy said..
---
Misha > Hanako > Rin > Lilly > Shizune > Emi
#53XWolfOPosted 8/17/2013 11:38:29 PM
Shift. Set is no more challenging, really. Especially since I overlevel my Pokemon anyway and can pretty much take on anything with any of my six Pokemon that I have with me, so I don't even bother changing the setting. And that's the main reason I don't play on set, I just don't feel like it, like, ever.
---
Don't hesitate. When the time comes, just act.
#54RedShadowwwPosted 8/17/2013 11:48:31 PM
Set because it feels more fair and challenging.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2637-9811-0553
Add me for Pokemon X/Y, PM me with your friend code if you did.
#55IzanagiBlastPosted 8/17/2013 11:49:24 PM
hyperdimeduck posted...
SHIFT. Tried playing SET once, and I hated it.

---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKNKVzVAqUk
3DS FC:3351-4244-8930
#56Hanon623Posted 8/18/2013 12:29:32 AM
Yano guys no one is actually forcing you to switch in shift and more options is always bettery yeah?
#57Dabrikishaw15Posted 8/18/2013 12:30:17 AM
Shift normally, Set when I want to solo grind a Pokemon
---
http://i.imgur.com/GUtJDs7.jpg
Official Jiminy Cricket of the Kingdom Hearts III Boards
#58Firemaster5Posted 8/18/2013 12:38:19 AM
SHIFT. Attempted playing SET once, and I hated it.
If they are switching in Pokémon, we should get to at the same time w/o it taking a turn.
Some people think of it as anticipating the move like: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1001366_696522143708080_1571143787_n.jpg but, it's an immediate response to them calling a sending the Pokémon out actually. Shift is default and helps monitor experience points and EVs. Set is.... set in the facilities like Battle Tower. Maybe they should give us the option w/o identifying the enemy Pokémon beforehand. Freaking elitists...
---
AND NOW IT IS YOUR CONFUSION THAT SHALL BE THE ARK THAT SUSTAINS MEH!!!!!!! Random_Ghost to Tgirl
#59HenryKazukaPosted 8/18/2013 1:14:43 AM
SET without battle animations and fast text ---> less time consuming.
---
Hard work may pay in the long run, but laziness always pays off right now!
#60CaptainKatsuraPosted 8/18/2013 1:16:04 AM
Shift because I never bothered to change the setting.
---
Herp-a derp