This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it advantageous to capture a fully evolved wild pokemon?

#1furygodsPosted 8/18/2013 9:58:01 AM
Let's say for example, in order for a certain pokemon to evolve into Metagross, it needs to be traded, so it is practically impossible to trade someone your pkmn and get it back in one piece.

But you can encounter a fully evolved metagross in the wild.

So If I catch a fully evolved metagross do I miss out on certain things or is it really as advantageous as it sounds?

After all, I could just EV train the fully evolved one like I could EV train the base one right?
---
With courage comes glory. With glory comes immortality.
#2kingtracePosted 8/18/2013 10:00:41 AM
Unless it's a situation where the Prevo learns moves that the Evo can't, there's no disadvantage what-so-ever.
---
I'm an Atheist, and I'm damn proud of it.
If that offends you for whatever reason, shoot me a PM and I'll correct your misconception.
#3GameNinjaGuyPosted 8/18/2013 10:01:12 AM
You should have picked examples that are true.
And as far as I know there is no benefit lost by catching a pokemon already evolved.
But if you have anyone to trade with, I imagine they'd give it back if you just traded to evolve it.
---
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!
#4InhaledCornPosted 8/18/2013 10:01:32 AM
Not really, or at least, not in my opinion.

You won't have the benefits of those EVs of a Pokemon you had captured earlier in your journey on that fresh capture. Besides, train the earlier catch enough, and it'll evolve like the others.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
I need to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door again...
#5jayman7Posted 8/18/2013 10:05:34 AM
InhaledCorn posted...
Not really, or at least, not in my opinion.

You won't have the benefits of those EVs of a Pokemon you had captured earlier in your journey on that fresh capture. Besides, train the earlier catch enough, and it'll evolve like the others.

Yeah, this guy's "opinion" is bunk. EVs work just the same whether you get them at level 1 or 100. You'll have to do just as much EV training either way, just less leveling with the already-leveled Pokemon - and leveling doesn't always correlate directly to evolution anyway.

As said before, the only thing you'll miss out by training a Pokemon caught fully-evolved and at a high level are moves learned only by the prevo.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere