This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We still have heard nothing on supposed dual-type moves.

#11jayman7Posted 8/18/2013 5:35:58 PM(edited)
No, doing STAB of one type and damage of another would not work. Or should I say: it wouldn't do anything productive. All it would do is have people load up their Pokemon with wrong-STAB moves that match their own STAB type, instead of moves that aren't STAB at all.

What do I mean? Let's look at it this way: you propose that Fire Punch get Fire-type STAB, but deal damage like a Fighting type move. In this scenario, it is a Fighting-type move. Pokemon that are hit by it think it's Fighting type. Pokemon that are neither Fire nor Fighting use it like it's Fighting type (presuming they don't get their own wrong-STAB Fighting attack; then they prefer that). Fire-type Pokemon won't even bother with real Fighting-type moves, because they get STAB off "Fire Punch", and Fighting-type Pokemon don't want the move at all.

If this becomes common enough, the only Pokemon that will ever even bother with real Fighting-type moves will be... Fighting types.

Psystrike is not a valid comparison, because stats are (relatively) fluid and using a physical Psychic move instead would require EV splitting to be effective. STAB is on-or-off and requires no EV splitting.

Pokebeach's webmaster thought that "dualtype moves" were actually just moves that changed type depending on the circumstance. That would work, but... well, it's not really anything new. The only way that I've ever heard of dualtype moves that are new, not game-breaking, and not insultingly pointless are if they work like Bonemerang and hit twice, with each hit being a different type.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#12tallgeeseIVPosted 8/18/2013 6:37:43 PM
TranquilSea posted...
I'm guessing it's just a gimmick (i.e. there's just a few dual type moves), so it not getting emphasis yet is understandable.

So something like the Pledge/Fusion moves in terms of rarity
---
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9742/fodderkg8.png
-_-'
#13pokemonfreak97Posted 8/18/2013 6:46:05 PM
Missingno_Mastr posted...
We also have yet to hear about Espurr or Meowstick, or getting Kanto starters, or Mewtwo's other forme.

Also, didn't they call Mega Mewtwo Mewtwo's X (or Y, don't remember which) Forme? It's highly unlikely that a single Pokemon will have multiple Mega Evolutions, and they clearly didn't know this bit of news.
---
Generation (pi)(i).
When you see this, raise e to the generation and add 1. Social experiment.
#14P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 8/18/2013 6:46:56 PM
I'm just hoping that that part of the leak is fake.
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#15jayman7Posted 8/18/2013 7:02:05 PM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
Missingno_Mastr posted...
We also have yet to hear about Espurr or Meowstick, or getting Kanto starters, or Mewtwo's other forme.

Also, didn't they call Mega Mewtwo Mewtwo's X (or Y, don't remember which) Forme? It's highly unlikely that a single Pokemon will have multiple Mega Evolutions, and they clearly didn't know this bit of news.

Not this leak.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#16kclaujamesPosted 8/19/2013 12:50:33 AM
The first time that the idea of multi-type attack came to my mind was when I came across the move Tri Attack. I thought it was an attack with three types. It turns out to be a normal type attack. I suspect that the idea has been considered by Gamefreak but is considered to be difficult to implement.